Monday 29 December 2014

The Silvered - Tanya Huff

The Empire has declared war on the small, were-ruled kingdom of Aydori, capturing five women of the Mage-Pack, including the wife of the were Pack-leader. With the Pack off defending the border, it falls to Mirian Maylin and Tomas Hagen—she a low-level mage, he younger brother to the Pack-leader—to save them. Together the two set out on the kidnappers’ trail, racing into the heart of enemy territory. But with every step the odds against their survival, let alone their success, grow steeper..

My thoughts:
I liked this, it was fantasy, but at the same time it did not even feel like fantasy all the time cos it was different.

We have the BIG Empire that wants more land. They, oh let's say they are steampunk, or well just industrialized. But you get the point.

Then there is Aydori. Where Mages and Pack live together. Mages who if they canm marry Pack and have more mages or puppies.

Then the bad Empire comes with soldiers and silver bullets. FU Empire! They call the Pack abominations and if you can show a pelt you get money. Innocents are dying and the Emperor is insane.

I know right, what a good premise!

Our hero is Mirian a failed mage escapes being captures and then sets out to save others. Her I liked, and what she could do.

Then we have Thomas, a wolf, who helps her because the road is long and many dangers lay ahead.

We also gets to see how the captured mages are faring. I kept rooting for them, and Mirian, and hoped to see the Empire burn.

I liked how most are flawed. Shit goes down. It gets bad. People are people and will do what they must to survive

Conclusion:
The end, is an ending. But I do want more. The world was so fascinating and I'd like to explore it more. But for now I am happy with a book that ended in one.

My favorite Huff book to date.

Cover
eh, ok I guess

Paperback, 496 pages
Published November 5th 2013 by DAW
Fantasy
own

24 comments:

  1. Hmmm... Sounds intriguing. I will add this to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time you review a book front his author I mean to read something by her. They all sound so good.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let's see, this might be the 8th? book or so by her that I review :)

      Delete
  3. It is nice when characters are believably flawed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love me some crazy emperors

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must have been good if it left you wanting more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have I mentioned how much I adore your reviews? You're a natural conversationalist. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! Yes somehow it just became my style, I like the feeling of me talking to someone, instead of ..dunno, reviewing properly haha

      Delete
  7. Wanted this one for a long time. Keep forgetting it when at library.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww the library, I should go there more often, I do, but only when a book I really want is in

      Delete
  8. Oh that's great: I need to read her other series. I've only tried the Vampires series but I was not really blown away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vampires..oh right! Yes have not tried that one

      Delete
  9. What? Sorry... I was distracted by the wolf on the cover. Furry sidekick for the WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds awesome - I've been wanting to read her and since this is your fave so far, I think I have my TBR pile addition. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP