Sunday 11 January 2015

Carole reviews: Freedom to love - Susanna Fraser

Author: Susanna Fraser
Title: Freedom to Love 
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: Janurary 5th, 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

"Louisiana, 1815

Thérèse Bondurant trusted her parents to provide for her and her young half-sister, though they never wed due to laws against mixed-race marriage. But when both die of a fever, Thérèse learns her only inheritance is debt—and her father’s promise that somewhere on his plantation lies a buried treasure, if she can find it before her white cousins take possession of the land.


Then British officer Henry Farlow, dazed from a wound received in battle outside New Orleans, stumbles onto the property. Thérèse insists he stay with them to recover, and he is quickly captivated by her intelligence and beauty. Thanks to her care, he is back to full strength just in time to fend off an attack by her cousin, inadvertently killing the would-be rapist.


Knowing they will find no justice in the law, the trio flees. Henry risks being labeled a deserter, but more than duty compels him to see the sisters to safety, and Thérèse comes to rely on Henry for more than protection. On their journey to freedom, they must navigate another new territory—love. But when they arrive in England, an unexpected inheritance puts their newfound commitment to the test."


First off...I was drawn in by the cover. Rarely does a lovey-dovey cover draw me, but for some reason this one did. The summary really did it in for me. Yes, it is a historical romance, but its deeper then that. Therese is a mixed race girl who is trying to find a treasure hidden by her deceased father to help her half-sister  support herself and help get her half-sister's freedom. While digging and looking around, Henry stumbles into their lives with a wound from the war going on. They take care of him and he can't help but help them out and protect them. Of course he falls in love Therese. Duh.


It wasn't necessarily insta-love. They admired each other and became friends first; after a while they do fall in love. Henry was the perfect gentleman (even tho he slipped up once and kissed/groped Therese before she was ready) and he was adorable and protective of the girls even though they are not 100% white.


WHICH....kuddos to the author for being authentic to the times. Race was a huge, HUGE deal back then (it still hinders us today) and Therese got lucky that she can pass off as a white girl/Spanish girl, but she is struggling with her self-hate. I am glad that the author didn't shy away from this issue of race and slavery. It made the story more believable and the characters had added depth. Yes, Henry is a great guy, but he even had a moment of "OH MY GOSH YOU ARE NOT 100% WHITE? YOU HAVE A BLACK AND NATIVE ANCESTOR! OHMIGOSH! Okay, okay. I believe in black freedom, so its cool. I like you...you're pretty and smart and awesome." 


The characters were nice and very 3D. I ADORED Jeanette (the half-sister); she was 13, but full of spunk and cleverness. Poor girl had to grow up before her time, but she handled everything so well. She was too smart for her own good sometimes. haha. Now, I liked Therese a lot too, even though I wanted to smack here sometimes - she was sooooo irrational sometimes. She had the hardest time accepting that Henry doesn't care she is mixed. Get over it. He loves you. xI How many times does he have to prove is willing to fight for you? Bleh! But besides that, I liked her. She was willing to do anything for her sister and find happiness in her life. 


Now, I will admit I did some skimming....some parts were so slow and dry. There would be lots and lots happen and then it would halt. Honestly, I think there was too much conversation going on and it seemed to draw out scenes that did not need to be drawn out. 


I liked the ending, but I couldn't help but roll my eyes at Therese being irrational...again. However, I did like the rest of the ending when she was slapped back into reality. 


In the end, this was an enjoyable adventure. Even though it was a historical romance, it had some real depth and the characters were really well developed. I wish that Edward wasn't such a snot...but I can kinda see how and why he was bitter. *shrugs* But get over it dude. ANYWAYS, there were some slow spots, but that happens sometimes. I really wish that Jeanette will get her own book/short story! 


In the end, I stamp this with...3 stars. 



 Favorite Character(s): Jeanette (I want her to have her own story!), Therese, & Henry

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Edward (*shakes my head*) & Henry's mother (>___>)




21 comments:

  1. Even if you have some slow parts, it sounds like an interesting book. The characters sound really great! Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D It was totally worth going through the slow parts

      Delete
  2. Interesting...it's been a while since I've indulged in some Historical Romance, and I do love the treasure hunting arch. So this one goes to the "maybe" pile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. I needed a good HR in my life. The treasure arch was a fun part.

      Delete
  3. Which reminds me, I've ben meaning to watch Belle.
    Oh & LA historicals is one of my favorites. I usually tend to European settings over American. Louisiana & it's French influences are a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Belle was a fantastic movie! I loved it! I reviewed it over at my blog.
      This was the second LA historical I read.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Yup! Sorry, I rambled a lot during this one. xD

      Delete
  5. Great review! I will get back to reading historicals again at some point. It's been a long time since I read one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds good to me! I'm glad the author kept it realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to hear that it was more then just a romance!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love and adventure, I'll give it try. Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely review,and I liked that it had depth. The cover is pretty:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you enjoyed it Carole, but no, not for me if you want to slap the heroine and skip conversations because they are boring and slow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo that is a pretty cover for sure. Drew me right in. Shame there were some slow bits. But still sounds pretty good :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you liked this one despite the slow parts ;) I hope your character get their own book too--great review!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP