Saturday 17 January 2015

Mage's Blood - David Hair and #FitReaders: Weekly Check-In Jan 16 2015

#FitReaders hosted by Geeky Bloggers Book Blog  and That’s What I’m Talking About.



Sat, 1 hour walk
Sun, 1.10 hour walk
Tue,  11, 694 steps (4km bike and I guess..1 hour walk?)
Mon, 8 km bike, 1,5 hour yoga
Wed, 1 hour zumba, 4 km bike
Thu, 9 km bike, 1 hour zumba
Fri, 30 min walk, 4 km bike

No pics :/ During weekdays there is too little daylight, and only walked in the evening last weekend.

The flat abs challenge is not going that well, I realised that I had missed that I was to start a new series, so I had to go back a week. Oh well, it will just take a bit longer than a month ;)

-----------------------------------


Most of the time the Moontide Bridge lies deep below the sea, but every 12 years the tides sink and the bridge is revealed, its gates open for trade.

The Magi are hell-bent on ruling this new world, and for the last two Moontides they have led armies across the bridge on ‘crusades’ of conquest.

Now the third Moontide is almost here and, this time, the people of the East are ready for a fight . . . but it is three seemingly ordinary people that will decide the fate of the world. 

My thoughts:
I was disappointed. I love great worldbuilding. I do not mind if you borrow from cultures in our world, just by the gods, change some things at least!

This world has the Mafia in Sicily and they even speak Italian there.
There are the roaming Romani.
There is Jerusalem, and trust me, it's not like it's a place call Ach*meh*otu and I just guessed it. No, it's called Hebusalim. Like with the Romani and mafia it's so freaking obvious.
There is the West, and the East and the East is so our East and they have declared Jihad there. There are Emirs, there are camels, there is even the India place with Kama Sutra.
There is a Jesus like guy. There is the Roman empire.

The planet is called Urth *groans*

Fine, could the characters have saved it?
Half and half. Aleron was pretty interesting (even though he was stupid). His aunt Elena was pretty interesting.

That guy following the girl he loves was NOT interesting. I skimmed his parts. The story if the girl he loved and her new man, was NOT interesting. I skimmed her parts.

The only reason I am giving this a 2 is cos of Aleron and Elena. The rest was bad. No originality at all.

Paperback, 671 pages
Published September 27th 2012 by Jo Fletcher Books
Moontide Quartet #1
Fantasy
Own

34 comments:

  1. I'm right with you; I want to have to pick up on things, not have them thrown in my face.

    Have you ever read the Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey? I think it's an excellent example of the kind of world building that's similar to our world but different enough that you would really like it, based on what you've shared above.

    ~Liza @ Classy Cat Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so obvi, please, we are not stupid, we get that you want to reference. So yes not good.

      I have been planning to, for AGES. the library has the first, and yes I have heard about the similar world thing. I really should check it out

      Delete
  2. Excellent fitreader week. Smiling at your flat abs challenge - good luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I suck, I should have a huge poster before me

      Delete
  3. You had a nice mix of exercise last week. Too bad about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked how he didn't change things too much - sometimes I love seeing analogous religions/cultures/places in fantasy even if the authors only give them a different name and change them a little. These Moontide books kinda reminded me of what Jacqueline Carey did with her Kushiel universe! I did like Mage's Blood and so far I'm enjoying the series.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I could have liked it, but since I did not like the story or the characters it just became another thing to dislike

      Delete
  5. Well, certainly not a book I will but on my wishlist. I like my fantasy to be fantasy, and not a copy of real life politics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh it's sad about the originality... sorry it wasn't that good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hehe. I can feel your frustration from here. :D

    That cover is so cool. AND MAFIA. But Urth. OMG.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was like, ok I can see what you wanna do, but at least you other names

      Delete
  8. That is funny, Aleron was probably my least favorite part of the first book. If you hate the 'it is earth by a different name' vibe avoid The Monarchies of God by Paul Kearny as well for it does the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh *staying away*
      He was a naive idiot but, eh, still the others were boring

      Delete
  9. aw sorry to hear that the world building wasn't what you'd hoped

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooo I will be skipping this read. You are doing great walking and biking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried Zumba. Is it dancy? I'm usually too uncoordinated for that kind of thing.

    Doesn't sound like the book is for me. Pretty cover though.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very dancy, and I am SO uncoordinated, trust me, I do not even know left and right. But zumba works, if it goes wrong it goes and eh

      Delete
  12. *shakes my head* Sorry this was a fail. BUT good job this week! I really didn't do any Zumba this week. 0.o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My classes started again so it was zumba time

      Delete
  13. I'm with you on world building. It has to be more than one of our cultures in another world with different names.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You rock girl! Giggling about the abs challenge. That's nothing ... I'm still getting to that Zumba DVD I bought 3 years ago HA.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Urth?! *shakes head*

    Great work on FitReaders - so when you do two workouts per day, do you do one before work and one at night or?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bike to work so that is that.

      And then a walk or workout in the evening :)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP