Friday 2 January 2015

The Ambassador's Mission - Trudi Canavan

Half the Thieves in the city are dead and nothing can account for the randomness and the inventiveness of each death. 

Sonea, a Black Magician of Kyralia, knows that she is needed to help hunt down the rogue magician killing the Thieves. But Sonea has problems of her own. Her son is now the assistant to the new Guild Ambassador of Sachaka and will be in deadly danger when he sets foot on their ancient enemy's soil. As a Black Magician, however, her every action is watched - and monitored. Any attempt to leave the city will result in her exile, and lose her any chance of helping her friends - or her son. 

My thoughts:
I like Canavan's books (well except that one bad one), but the rest I like for their simplicity. Old school fantasy. Adventures, politics, hidden agendas and spies.

This book takes place 20 years or so after the Black Magician trilogy. Sonea is a healer, she is not allowed to leave the city and black magic is still bad. I did see that she had grown up so that was nice. She was mature and thought about her actions. In this book she tries to hunt down a rogue in the city.

Her son Lorkin was, well naive, but maybe he was meant to be. So was she once upon a time. And he has his own adventure among the Black magicians in another country. I can't say I am too worried about him even though he is a tricky situation. He seems to have a calm head on his shoulders.

All in all, nice characters, an interesting story and enough to keep me wanting more. Canavan's books never hit that awesome spot for me, but for some reason I keep coming back for more, this being like the 7th book by her I have read in a year 0_0. They are just fun.  I really enjoy them, and I read them fast.

Conclusion:
Enjoyable

cover
meh

Paperback, 512 pages
Published April 1st 2011 by Orbit
Traitor Spy Trilogy #1
Fantasy
Own

32 comments:

  1. Doesn't sound like my kind of book but I've loved the covers for the series.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I actually have this one lying around - of course, I don't think I should read it until I've finished her Black Magician trilogy, as it is set in the same world and has some connections. What do you think?

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, it really depends. I mean there are of course spoilers to what happened to certain people.

      BUT, I do think the book is better written than the Magician series so cos of that I would say this one first

      Delete
  3. LOL I totally snorted over your (except that one) comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I guess every author needs one horrible book...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have planned to read these books for a realllyyyy long time so I definitely need to bump it up my TBR this year. So glad you enjoyed it and great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I do enjoy her books, easy, light, fun. I need that since they are long

      Delete
  6. Sometimes fun is all you need. I actually like the cover. Maybe it is the purple cape that catches my eye. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to give Trudi Canavan a chance. Since I read your review I have The Magicians' Guild on my TBR... I just need to find the time to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like them :) Got two more from this series to buy first

      Delete
  8. hehe..you made me giggle with the except that one. I love that these are old school

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really want to get into these books at some point in time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been looking for a good fantasy book lately so I will either check this one or her earlier works. thanks and hopr all is well with you :) happy 2015

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow. You sure read them fast! This one is 512 pages! I hope it only gets better for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was light and easy :D That is why I enjoyed her books ;)

      Delete
  12. Totally unrelated, have you read Toby Venebles? I have Hunter of Sherwood but it's book 2, not sure if I should read book 1 first for it to make sense.

    ReplyDelete
  13. it's nice to have a good fantasy author like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been meaning to try Canavan forever! Now you've got me curious as to which one is 'the bad one'? There's nothing wrong with fun enjoyable reads. Not everything has to be awe inspiring for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, aye the bad one. I did review it recently, but it was hidden in another post

      Delete
  15. Glad these are fun, fast reads. I need to read more satisfying fantasy that's not YA, so I should give Canavan a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is a good one to begin one, light nice fantasy

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP