Wednesday 14 January 2015

The copper promise - Jen Williams

There are some far-fetched rumours about the caverns beneath the Citadel…

Some say the mages left their most dangerous secrets hidden there; others, that great riches are hidden there; even that gods have been imprisoned in its darkest depths.

For Lord Frith, the caverns hold the key to his vengeance. Against all the odds, he has survived torture and lived to see his home and his family taken from him … and now someone is going to pay. For Wydrin of Crosshaven and her faithful companion, Sir Sebastian Caverson, a quest to the Citadel looks like just another job. There’s the promise of gold and adventure. Who knows, they might even have a decent tale or two once they’re done.

But sometimes there is truth in rumour.

Soon this reckless trio will be the last line of defence against a hungry, restless terror that wants to tear the world apart. And they’re not even getting paid. 

My thoughts:
By Loki, do you not all get tired of me saying "I expected more." Well, I bloody did!

Now it was good, but never ventured into amazing, never rose above good. Good is good of course, but even good books have cool moments. Well this one did not have. So it turned into one of those, yes I enjoyed it, it was good, I could even recommend it but I will not read more. I am happy to leave it like this. Sometimes a good book is just that, good.

It was about 3 people. A Lord who had been tortured and wanted revenge. A woman thief. A knight who had been kicked out from his company and now is a sell sword. Those last two help the lord find something, and by finding it something bad gets unleashed. So now they gotta fight that too.

Conclusion:
Magic, death, demon, dragon, war, freaky women soldiers. Evil guys. All in all a fun ride that ended and could have ended just like that. Sure there would have been a few loose end, but it could have been a stand alone so I will treat it like that and not look back.

Cover
ok

Paperback, 535 pages
Published February 13th 2014 by Headline Books
The Copper Promise #1
Fantasy
Own

37 comments:

  1. Well that sucks, eh? But at least you weren't reduced to a ranting, raging reader, no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm - maybe. Sometimes good is good enough. Often I want a book I can enjoy, but that isn't really more than that,

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean, I have read plenty of books where the first one was good, but I had no desire to continue the series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw too bad it didn't make you want to go on with the series. At least it sounds decent enough to consider it a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yes, when it's Loki it has to be epic much like when people use Lucifer for their characters. If it's not epic it's a big letdown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. High Fantasy has to grab me, or it doesn't hold on for very long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same. With other books I am happy just reading, it being good, but with fantasy I want BOOM

      Delete
  7. it's always sad when you're expecting more from a book...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this one! I had to get it from Book Depository because US doesn't have a release date, and arrrgh, looks like it'll be the case with the sequel as well. I just have to continue this series!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Book depo is great for that :D And free shipping!

      But yes, I wanted more, like as much as you enjoyed it more

      Delete
  9. What a pity. I admit that "Magic, death, demon, dragon, war, freaky women soldiers. Evil guys." sounds like just my thing. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm..maybe you would like it though *trying to think of things you would hate in it* Hm

      Delete
  10. It sounds so promising... I would have expect a lot from it too. Sorry it didn't work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad this was a solid read for you, but it's a shame it wasn't the kind of good that has you rushing to pick up more from this world:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so wanted to, but then I finished it and just went..eh no

      Delete
  12. I've watched this at store but I don't know... Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sometimes ones like this are good I think. Makes you appreciate the WOW books a little more. lol

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read something similar a while back and understand your perspective. However I echo what others say, it's a fun ride it will make appreciate the other books that really are wow!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP