Saturday 10 January 2015

Troubled Waters - Sharon Shinn and #FitReaders: Weekly Check-In Jan 8 2015



Sat, 11087 steps
Sun, 13,312 steps
Mon, 12065 steps
Tue, 11571 steps
Wed, 15 min walk and 4 km bike (first day back to work, blergh)
Thu, 30 min walk and 4 km bike
Fri, 1 hour walk and 4 km bike

Ice gave away to ice again. Good week. Trying this 1 month abs things too :)


.............................

Zoe Ardelay receives astonishing and unwelcome news: she has been chosen to become the king’s fifth wife. Forced to go to the royal city, she manages to slip away and hide on the shores of the mighty river.
It’s there that Zoe realizes she is a coru prime ruled by the elemental sign of water. She must return to the palace, not as an unwilling bride for the king, but a woman with power in her own right. But as Zoe unlocks more of the mysteries of her blood — and the secrets of the royal family — she must decide how to use her great power to rise above the deceptions and intrigue of the royal court. 

My thoughts:
I did expect more, oh expectations, you be evil. It's just that, I had heard Shinn was good, and yes she was good. It was a fun, silly, cheesy book, but it never became more than that. I expected fantasy, I did not feel I got fantasy, maybe fantasy romance then? Nope, not even that, instead I got Shopaholic in a fantasy land.

It's about Zoe, the girl who like the stream just moves along. Hey, dad is dead, marry the king! Ok...

Look an open door, run away..
Ok.

See, the stream. Her personality comes from her "sign". Everyone, we are told this a lot, are either air, water, fire, earth, and whatever that last one was. I did like it, just, it was mentioned a LOT. Like, oh she is feisty today, must be because she is Fire. Oh she blah blah today, must be because..you get the idea. Anyway, Zoe does not really have a lot of personality, she is a follower, even when she follows no one.

The shopaholic thing comes from her shopping a lot! it felt like the author wanted to show us how fun it is to shop in a fantasy land. Just...Zoe is poor! poor! She is freaking homeless and lives at the beach. Still she uses the money she did have to shop food (good), candy and useless things. Then she gets a job and continues to use most of her money to shop. Her excuse for living at the beach is freedom. Sure I'd love to live at the beach with the peaceful ones. It's not like someone is gonna rape me, stab me, steal my shit or anything. Just live on your fantasy land beach. So instead she buys clothes and chocolate and is homeless. 

But hey that was actually the best part, her living on the beach, shopping and just being. It was not as interesting when she did other things because here her personality just stagnated.

Still, fun book, weird mix of steampunk and fantasy. Just do not expect awesome world building. And even though I did enjoy some of it it I am SO not gonna continue this series.

Conclusion:
Hm, that made me think, even if I found it at the library I would not read it, Then it could not have been so good could it? Let's make it just ok then. 

Paperback, 416 pages
Published September 27th 2011 by Ace
Elemental Blessings #1
Fantasy
Own


39 comments:

  1. Hmm... Doesn't sound like it's as good as her Samaria books. Still might give it a try if I run into it somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1) Good job this week! Welcome back to work! hahaha. This was my first week back too. XD How is that step counter working? I must try one.
    2) Bleurgh. Sorry, I must pass. hahaha fantasy beach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D
      BLEGRH

      I do like my step counter, I found out that I walk a LOT at work

      Delete
  3. lol at your book review.

    Good workout week though. I just finished working out so I need to get my weekly check-in written and posted.

    Karen @ For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ;)

      A good week, except Wed, but I was tired then

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you did pretty good with your steps this week...to bad your read wasn't as good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this! I loved it but I tend to like these slower-paced and more introspective fantasies. Great review and good luck with your goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hopes, but it was just so, blergh, I need more worldbuilding, more action, more death AND destruction

      Delete
  6. I have a book by this author but I still need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her Samaria books are really good I think. Especially Jovah's Angel and The Alleluiah Files.

      Delete
  7. Great job on the workouts. "Shopaholic in a fantasy land" LOL. Better luck with your next read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This girl shopped a LOT! Seriously, a lot

      Delete
  8. I still have yet to read Sharon Shinn, but I am definitely interested. I think I have one of her books kicking around here somewhere! Not this one though.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was too light and mindless for me

      Delete
  9. A shopaholic in fantasy land, lol. I don't see that in the cover at all! Great work this week -- that's a lot of steps! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahhahaha! Your last line made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm so she discovers her magic, and all she does is shop. Not learning how to use it, or something at all?No quest to achieve?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly she shops, THEN she learns she has magic, but that is way way into the book. And she shops some more, takes tea, saves someone, shops

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. It would be fun though to see you review it ;)

      Delete
  13. Too bad about the book. You did good with the steps/bike!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll pass, but the cover is kind of cool! Good luck with your abs exercises. Ever tried indoor walking? can be quite the workout :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cover was good, I admit that.

      I am so bad though, I keep forgetting which number I am on and repeating things

      Would need a bigger house

      Delete
  15. Beautiful pics and good luck with abs

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's so disappointing when you expect something from a book and you don't get it. I pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Keep me posted on the abs thing - I want to try maybe next month!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looks so pretty, but so cold! Shinn is a good author, I've read several of her books. My favorite are the angel scifi ones. The personality sign thing could've been good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should try those but after this one I feel meh

      Delete
  19. Beautiful pics, Linda! I heard good things about Shinn too. I do like Fantasy Romance so maybe...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP