Wednesday 25 February 2015

A ghostly undertaking - Tonya Kappes

Another day. Another funeral. Another ghost. Another average day in the life of young funeral home director, Emma Lee Raines. After a perilous run-in with a plastic Santa Claus, Emma Lee, co-owner of Eternal Slumber Funeral Home in Sleepy Hollow, Kentucky, sees the ghost of town gossip Ruthie Sue Payne, who is proving to be a real pain, more so in death than while living. Recently deceased, Ruthie reveals to Emma Lee that her demise wasn't caused by accidentally falling down the steps at the Sleepy Hollow Inn as everyone believes—she was pushed...murdered. In order for the ghost to cross over—and for Emma Lee to be rid of Ruthie for good—she must find a desperate killer...or risk being haunted forever. 

My thoughts:
Emma runs a funeral home with her perfect sister. And Emma is not so perfect. A plastic Santa fell on her and now she can see dead people. Everyone in town whispers about her and are changing funeral homes. So it's not a good day to be her. I did feel like I would have wanted to see the whole santa thing, maybe a pre novella? But we were told so I am fine with it. Cos I do not like pre novellas anyway.

Right the dead people thing then. It's just one dead person. One annoying arch enemy of her gran, and this annoying person tells Emma it was murder! What to do? Pretend she is not there or solve the murder and get rid of her? She goes for the investigating stuff and stumbles upon a few things. I am not gonna say she is a perfect detective, no, she is lucky but does not always get things right. But that is just fun to read about.

I do wonder what her's sisters issue is though, such a stick in the mud.

There is also a blossoming love interest with the town sheriff, as her path does cross with him a few times. I think they can be good for each other. I liked him.

And more drama is to come. She is still "crazy" according to townies, so how will they run their business? More ghosts are coming too. I guess I will just have to read book 2 to find out :)

Conclusion:
Fun, a good mystery, and a heroine that I enjoyed reading about.

Cover
nice

Paperback, 256 pages
Published February 24th 2015 by Witness (first published October 1st 2013)
Ghostly Southern Mysteries #1
Cozy mystery, paranormal mystery
For review

41 comments:

  1. That's one way for a psychic gift to be activated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never trust a plastic Santa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! A plastic santa, huh? Sounds good, off to add it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What? Ok that is hilarious a plastic Santa fell on her and now she sees dead people. This does sound fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to have heard the story though, and see it

      Delete
  5. I'm not a huge fan of these cozy mystery type stories but this does sound cute.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much for your fun review of A Ghostly Undertaking! YES....there is more to come from her not so nice sister ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boooo at her sister, but...she is fun to read about haha :D

      Delete
  7. I'd definitely would like to see how her visions came about!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL sounds like fun. And I would like to know how and why the santa fell on her. xD

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a cute start to a series but like you I would want to know more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have this one waiting for me to read and review. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bwahahaha, a plastic santa fell on her and now she sees dead people. That's like the best origins-of-a-supernatural-ability story ever!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh blast those plastic Santas. They're so dang creepy. This one looks so fun. Might have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a lovely Friday! And Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds positively delicious, this one. Plus, a quick read, which is always fun. The curse of the falling plastic Santa, lol... Amazing review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quick reads are the best...that reminds me, I should go read

      Delete
  15. Yeah, you just enjoyed a paranormal cozy mystery! Adding it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!!!! Crazy! Haha, not so crazy, I just do not read a lot since there are sooo many out there

      Delete
  16. Yay, glad you liked it. I have it to read, hopefully soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This sounds like a quick read to relax and enjoy. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I thought this was fun and cute as well. I just wished there was more on the backstory between Ruthie and the Grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've seen this one around. I like that is a fun read... it goes to my Maybe-TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cool cover, I don't read cozy mysteries but maybe this one being paranormal ... hmm

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've been seeing this book around a lot lately - it sounds like something I'd have fun with. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP