Thursday 12 February 2015

Angelbound - Christina Bauer

Eighteen year old Myla Lewis is a girl who loves two things: kicking ass and kicking ass. She’s not your every day quasi-demon, half-demon and half-human, girl. For the past five years, Myla has lived for the days she gets to fight in Purgatory’s arena. When souls want a trial by combat for their right to enter heaven or hell, they go up against her, and she hasn’t lost a battle yet.

But as she starts her senior year at Purgatory High, the arena fights aren’t enough to keep her spirits up anymore. When the demons start to act weird, even for demons, and the King of the Demons, Armageddon, shows up at Myla’s school, she knows that things are changing and it’s not looking good for the quasi-demons. Myla starts to question everything, and doesn’t like the answers she finds. What happened seventeen years ago that turned the quasi-demons into slave labor? Why was her mom always so sad? And why won’t anyone tell her who her father is? Things heat up when Myla meets Lincoln, the High Prince of the Thrax, a super sexy half-human and half-angel demon hunter. But what’s a quasi-demon girl to do when she falls for a demon hunter? It’s a good thing that Myla’s not afraid of breaking a few rules. With a love worth fighting for, Myla’s going to shake up Purgatory. 

My thoughts:
I did enjoy this one (even if it had plot holes.)

Myla is just like any other teenager. She has her bestie, boy trouble, school sucks, and she fights to the death in the arena. Ok so there is the difference. She is also part demon and lives in Purgatory. Her mum is always sad, her dad is a ? and she meets this hot boy that thinks all demons should die.

I did feel she was too much of a teen at times. It was like the author tried to show us that she is just like us. But the thing is, she is not. She could never be. So the over the top I am a teen could have been toned down. Also Purgatory sure looks a lot like the US. 

Also, why does she fight in the arena? Why does no one talk about what happened 18 years ago? Please, people would so talk. It's like the world is made up of two generations, 18 and 40. Why did the angels not step in 18 years ago? Why are there stupid games? If Myla lost against a bad soul then that soul goes to heaven, even if it was Hitler. That makes no sense. That could have been planned better.

Still, even with those things I really enjoyed it. The world was interesting, I wanted to know who her dad was and how it all would turn out. I enjoyed it...

Cover
ok

ebook, 532 pages
Published December 17th 2013 by Ink Monster LLC
Angelbound #1
YA, Urban fantasy paranormal romance whatever
Own

37 comments:

  1. kind of a chunky book for plot holes. I like the cover supernaturals in the Colosseum lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually dunno where those page numbers come from, mine was not that big

      Delete
  2. I should've read this instead of Amber Lynn Natusch's Unborn Series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you enjoyed this one overall despite the plot questions you had throughout:) Hopefully those will get filled in in future books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha I enjoyed it too even with it's issues. She was a fun narrator. I didn't like the second one, which was more novella, but the third was good, though not as good as this one. The issues weren't there, but neither was it as much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hm, I can't say I want to read book 2 now ;)

      Delete
    2. Sorry! You can skip two pretty easily from what I remember. I think three recaps the little that matters.

      Delete
    3. Sorry! You can skip two pretty easily from what I remember. I think three recaps the little that matters.

      Delete
  5. I have been curious about this book. I will have to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, seems like the plot might just not hold up for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmmm...sounds like there are too many plot holes/unanswered questions for me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not sure if this one is for me but it does sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Despite the issues I am really glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! for books that we like despite plot holes, LOL. I probably would too (b/c arena and fighting<----YES!). I have this one already, but is it really 532 pages?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, when I saw that number on GR I went all 0_0 I am pretty sure my book did NOT have that many pages, but then ebook pages are strange...BUT I read it fast so not possible

      Delete
  11. Lol, I've seen this in other books as well - authors writing about fantastic characters and working to make them "relatable" so much that sometimes they just go overboard :) To be fair, I understand where they come from - if the reader can't relate to your characters, he/she doesn't become invested in the story. Still, it's a fine line... Good review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She totally did that. I was all I GET IT, she is a teen, but she also half demon and fights in purgatory, whatever. I get it

      Delete
  12. I don't think this one is for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been so wobbly about picking up this book. The reviews are all over the place. But for just 99 cents, I might just have to take a stab at it. I do love that cover, and I love the idea of "fights to the death".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got it as a freebie ;) So I was all, eh I will read it

      Delete
  14. Glad you enjoyed it in spite of the holes. It does sound kind of cool. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh I picked this one up when it was a free ebook (might still be, I'm not sure). Glad to hear you enjoyed it. Cool.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP