Sunday 22 March 2015

Carole Reviews: Born of Persuasion - Jessica Dotta


Author: Jessica Dotta
Title: Born of Persuasion (Price of Privilege #1) 
Genre: Historical Fiction, Christian, Mystery, & Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: 2013
Where I Got It: My shelf (Amazon freebie)


The year is 1838, and seventeen-year-old Julia Elliston’s position has never been more fragile. Orphaned and unmarried in a time when women are legal property of their fathers, husbands, and guardians, she finds herself at the mercy of an anonymous guardian who plans to establish her as a servant in far-off Scotland.


With two months to devise a better plan, Julia’s first choice to marry her childhood sweetheart is denied. But when a titled dowager offers to introduce Julia into society, a realm of possibilities opens. However, treachery and deception are as much a part of Victorian society as titles and decorum, and Julia quickly discovers her present is deeply entangled with her mother’s mysterious past. Before she knows what’s happening, Julia finds herself a pawn in a deadly game between two of the country’s most powerful men. With no laws to protect her, she must unravel the secrets on her own. But sometimes truth is elusive and knowledge is deadly. 



How on Earth was this a Christian Fiction novel? It was SOOOO dark and a wee bit depressing, because Julia has a lot of bad things happening to her. And how on Earth do I stumble upon these CFs once in a while and not realize that they are CFs? Why do I keep reading when I learning that fact? Okay...I have found a couple good ones in my life, but overall I cannot stand them. They normally end with a character finding God and all is fixed. However, I must pat this book on the back, because this was not the case. Which thank goodness, because there was too much at play in this novel for a simple "I found God" to fix it. Especially with a psycho named Mr. Macy running around. 0.o 


I really wished I could say I liked this book. It sounds SO good in the summary, but alas....this almost ended up as a DNF which is rare with me, because I am a creature of torture and I cannot stop myself from reading even the most horrible of books. Oh you can bet I skimmed and skipped like a crazy kid, but I have the hardest time giving up on a book. Again, I must obviously like torturing myself.

The characters...meh. I did like Mr. Macy oddly, because he is a psycho and so complex that I had no idea what he is playing at. 

Julia...grow a back-bone. And why the Hell did you think marrying Mr. Macy was a good idea. Really? *sighs*

Edward...you confuse me.

Elizabeth...you are to blame for everything pretty much. You need a punch in the face.

Henry...you are little better then Elizabeth.

The only real redeeming part of the book was the last 75%-98% of the book. It was great and I was enthralled! However the beginning and middle lost me...and the last 2% annoyed me. This is part of a series. Nothing was really resolved and nothing really gained. Edward and Julia are back at square one and have no idea what to do. It was a huge cliff-hanger (but a calm one...hard to explain) and I did not like it. Why? Why drag this story on more then it has to? WHY?!!!! UGH!

I shall stop my rambling now.

This was...a total let down. Yes, a small section of the book was enthralling and I am so glad that when the character "found God" nothing was really solved, but the rest...meh. I recommend this if you want a book full of idiots or are looking for an Amazon freebie. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 1 star.  

Favorite Character(s): Mr. Macy & Churchill (the only one making sense in anything) 

Not-so Favorite Character(s):  Everyone else pretty much




18 comments:

  1. I even dnf ok books, I would have given up fast here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could...I would save so much time *sighs*

      Delete
  2. I really have a problem too when it's too religious, of even when it's a little bit religious. Sorry it wa like that for you with this one...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So if Elizabeth deserves a punch in the face and Henry is only a little bit better - shall we slap him? Would that do? :D LOL, I love your review even more than usual. Alas, I don't think I'll be reading this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think a slap would work. hahaha thankies! *blushes*

      Delete
  4. I kind of feel like CF novels should be labeled...I'd probably have DNFed this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THEY SHOULD BE! My old library they were so I never had these issues. XI

      Delete
  5. Not that CF is bad!! It's just not my thing. (Felt I needed to clarify. That other comment is rather harsh.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I feel harsh when I state I hate CFs. xI Makes me feel bad for those that do.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review Carole, I will stay far away from this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find Christian fiction hit or miss. Usually they end up being quite bland but there are a few exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm some times religion can be dark and depressing. Wonderful review Carole. I am not sure this is for me

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP