Sunday 8 March 2015

Carole's Sunday Review: One of the money - Janet Evanovich

Author: Janet Evanovich
Title: One for the Money (Stephanie Plum #1)
Genre: Mystery, Fiction, Comedy, Romance, & Action
Pages: ebook
First Published: 1994
Where I Got It: My shelf (Freebie)

Welcome to Trenton, New Jersey, home to wiseguys, average Joes, and Stephanie Plum, who sports a big attitude and even bigger money problems (since losing her job as a lingerie buyer for a department store). Stephanie needs cash—fast—but times are tough, and soon she's forced to turn to the last resort of the truly desperate: family.

Stephanie lands a gig at her sleazy cousin Vinnie's bail bonding company. She's got no experience. But that doesn't matter. Neither does the fact that the bail jumper in question is local vice cop Joe Morelli. From the time he first looked up her dress to the time he first got into her pants to the time Steph hit him with her father's Buick, M-o-r-e-l-l-i has spelled t-r-o-u-b-l-e. And now the hot guy is in hot water—wanted for murder.

Abject poverty is a great motivator for learning new skills, but being trained in the school of hard knocks by people like psycho prizefighter Benito Ramirez isn't. Still, if Stephanie can nab Morelli in a week, she'll make a cool ten grand. All she has to do is become an expert bounty hunter overnight—and keep herself from getting killed before she gets her man.


I don't really read many genres like this, but it was picked for book club this month, so here we go!


Honestly, it was a lot better then I thought it would be. I read in a matter of a couple of days (I had a space in between due to sickness and starting a different book that I've dying to read for ages). It was really funny and I liked Stephanie Plum. I felt bad that she lost her job due to the owner's scam. So now no one really wants to hire her. However, she goes over to her cousin Vinnie and begs for anything....so he offers her a bounty hunter job. Her first assignment/test is bag Morelli, who is wanted to murder. Ugh...Morelli...a womanizing scumbag. >___> 


She willingly accepts, because Morelli used her twice: once when they were little kids and second when they were in there upper teens. Scum. I did not like him and if I had been Stephanie I would have gassed him and took him in the first time I caught him. Okay...maybe second time, because I would have been naive as well thinking just saying, "Hey, I'm here to take you in. Come with me" would work as well. Ha, he takes off and says he's innocent. I wouldn't have given a hoot about him saying he's innocent...not my problem....I'm just a bounty hunter. 

Anyways, the story was fun. I enjoyed seeing Stephanie grow into a pretty good bounty hunter (she bags a couple other people for extra money while hunting for Morelli). I loved Ranger. I honestly wish that they would end up together. *shakes my head* Why? I don't know. haha, because he was the first to really believe in her and take her under his wing? Perhaps. 



There were a few points were it did drag a little bit. I admit...I skimmed, because NOTHING was happening. There was a huge lull a couple of times. However, they both were calms before the storm, so it was probably on purpose to give the reader some air. However, I did not want the air. When it comes to a bounty hunter and action-y type books I like little lulls once in a great while (so like a couple pages at most). 

I have mixed feelings about the end. It was good, but I would have done it differently. I can't say what or I will spoil it. However, I do love the last line of the book, again, I cannot say without giving it away. I also have mixed feelings, because it seemed non-cliffhangerish (which is good), but it seemed cut off. Mmm. See? Odd and confusing feelings about it.

In the end, this was a fun book. I doubt I will continue the series on my own, however, if it is picked by one of the book club members, I will not complain. Just not something I will hunt down on my own. The characters were fun, I really liked Stephanie and Ranger. There were a few lulls that bored me and the ending left me unsure if I liked it or not. Hmmmm. Anyways, I totally recommend this to those that like action, mystery, and a touch of an odd romance. Would you even classify this AS romance? It seemed more like a lust not wanted. Huh. Well, I shall stamp this with 3 stars. 



Favorite Character(s): Stephanie, Stephanie's grandma (hilarious old lady, who wears blue shorts to funerals), and Ranger

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Morelli, Rameriz (gah), and the main baddie (GAH! He got me...I did not expect it)










16 comments:

  1. Love this series. The movie ruined things for me. I should've skipped watching it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book club will be making us watch this. :)

      Delete
  2. I really liked that series for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you ended up liking it I know folks love this series. I have never tried it

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I really love this series. I'm still reading it even if I need to read the last book and all that even if it's still the same. it doesn't really matter it's nice and fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha good luck! I am curious to see what you think of the last book!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yup!!! *plate full of carrots* Sorry, I am back on super strict diet again. Sighs. Being sick made me gain a couple. xI

      Delete
  6. Babe!!!!!! Ranger is awesome. I adore him and yes so wanted them to be the couple. I love the series but fell off around book 17 I think because of her not choosing between Joe (who I didn't like) and Ranger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Ranger!!!! Ugh! I don't blame you for falling off...because I do not like Joe.

      Delete
  7. Okay, lust can be good. What am I saying - lust IS good! Lol. But I get your your point, because I also like what I like in the books I read and I find it hard to step outside my comfort zone even when I challenge myself to do so. Still, you wrote a pretty awesome review, so it was obviously not that bad ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lust is good...but sometimes it can be bad! LIke lusting over a suspected murderer. xI Thanks!!

      Delete
  8. Ut oh. That book club stuff is going to get you in trouble. lol. I have this one on the shelf to get to as well. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has gotten me in trouble. ;) They have made me read new things!!! *gasps*

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP