Sunday 29 March 2015

Discussion Sunday: 2 Pride and Prejudice variations


For this post, C and I will be reviewing two P&P short stories. :3 



Author: P.O Dixon
Title: Almost Persuaded 
Genre: Historical Romance & PP variation
Pages: ebook
First Published: October 2013
Where I Got It: My shelf (Amazon Freebie)

Mary King admired George Wickham from the moment she first set eyes on him. Handsome and charismatic, he satisfied her every notion of what a consummate gentleman ought to be. She longed to garner his affection. He, on the other hand, never once looked her way. What happens when Mary becomes an heiress of ten thousand pounds? As the adage goes, be careful what you wish for. In this engaging coming of age story, will Mary learn the meaning of this sentiment the hard way?



B: :) Let’s start then
Sounds like a plan. Right then, what did you think about Mary King from Pride and Prejudice?

C:At first I liked her...but…...then she made me mad. I am glad she got her only little story though!

B:I was not a fan, she was such a silly thing. Ohhh Wickham SUDDENLY likes me, duh, you just become an heiress you stupid thing.

C:Ugh I know. I liked her friend Anne who was super sensible. I kinda wish that Mary will end up alone and Anne gets the cousin. ;)


B:Ha, you are bad! But I like that, Anne should get the nice guy, Mary can go make another mistake.

C:I hate dumb characters who can’t see that they are being used. It was SO obvious! Plus, it took him being married to Lydia for her to finally get over him. Remember that scene when she saw him with Kitty and Lydia on his arms while she was in the carriage? SHE WAS STILL IN LOVE WITH HIM AND KINDA DEFENDING HIM! UGH!

B:Ok so I know the author does not have much to go with, but make the story more interesting. Do not make her so stupid! Get a drama plot why she was with Wickham. Not, that….

C:Agreed. I wish Mary was a stronger and smarter character. I totally get her being the wallflower and in love with someone and then he pays attention to her. It’s hard for her not to want his attention. But she was a total TSTL character. :( ANd I had high hopes for a fellow wallflower lmao

B:I wished for more too, and now it just fell apart for me. I was not that interested in this story. Mary was Mary, and seriously what does Austen have against peeps named Mary?!

C:Maybe she knew a Mary...who she disliked. hahaha So the ending...did you like it?

B:Eh, sure, maybe she will see reason, I still do not like her and wish that other thing.

C: She seemed to “grown up”, but I still wish Anne will get the cousin. Who knows? The author left it open-ended. Which I am not a fan of those. >__<




Author: Reina M. Williams

Title: Most Truly (Love at Pemberley #1) 
Genre: Historical Romance & PP Variation 
Pages: ebook
First Published: November 2013
Where I Got It: My shelf (Amazon Freebie)


Colonel James Fitzwilliam is home. The war has left him weary, battle-scarred—and a free man of fortune ready to find a wife. He travels to Pemberley, his second home. There he meets Kitty Bennet. Her unexpected charms soon have him questioning his familial duty and his expectations. A fight looms on the horizon when his aunt—Lady Catherine de Bourgh—and his parents arrive with their own plans for his future.



B:Let’s just move on to the next one shall we ;) Kitty’s story! YAY

C: So, what do you think of the match between Kitty and Fitzwilliam? I was shocked...I never read a PP that those two get together.

B: Loved it! I hate when he ends up with Georgiana, I am always all euwwww, he is your guardian, he is like your brother! Not to mention your cousin. So this was such a good fit. And I like books where Kitty grows up and becomes sensible.

C: I’ve read ones where she grows up, but this is my first one centered around HER. I am torn if I like them as a couple. I secretly want Mary and Fitzwilliam to get together. I don’t know why.

B: Really? I could not see that, he is too, no, not a good fit. I could have seen her with that new brother of his though. A nice calm fit.

C: I could see that as well. (He wasn’t mentioned in the Austen book was he? I do not remember that name). But I am not opposed to Kitty and James together. It took me by surprise I shall admit!

B: But that is good :D I like a good surprise. I went all yay, good! when I read it ;) And no, this new younger brother was not mentioned. That was the real surprise for me, he and Anne, I was all..ok.

C: That is what I thought. I did not like that couple though...I felt it was a cop-out to remove Anne as “competition” for James, so it would be easier to get past Lady Catherine for James to marry Kitty. LAME. I wanted a complete and utter blow out and fight over this coupling, because Kitty does have a bad history as being a flirt.


B: Williams writes caaaalm books. But yes a big fight wouold have been cool. All I LOVE HER!!!!!! Ha.

And the Anne thing, hey here is another brother, ugh. No, Anne seems to have some serious health issues, why do they always marry her to someone. That girl is surely dying.

C: I think she is faking it half the time. haha James even mentioned that, “I think she’s doing it for attention.” haha I had a good laugh at that. I do wanna read more books by Williams. I loved her writing style (even tho I wanted a huge verbal fight haha).

B: I think Anne has TB and someone should just have the courage to kill her off….evil *coughs*
But yes Williams has a lovely style. I read Georgiana’s book last year, and would love to read Mary’s :)


C: And you call ME evil xD I nearly choked to death on my water! If she does have TB they should do the humane thing and take her out of her misery.
But I have to read Miss Georgiana’s book. I love when they give her a HEA. SHe totally deserves it.

B: LOL. Oh I just saw that Maria Lucas got a novella too. With Denny!

C: Oooooh. That shall be interesting.
So...what did you think of the ending? I thought it was a nice throwback to Austen’s novel. I am glad Mrs Bennet got to make an appearance (she makes me laugh).


B: I liked the ending, sweet and nice. And that is why I liked the other story I read by her :) So this one was a clear favorite over that one for me.


C: It is on my TBR list now. :D
Anything else you wanna throw in?

B: I love PP variations!!!!! I cannot get enough. The end, now I should go back to cleaning, blergh.

C: Back to homework for me. Boo. Good job! I sneaked in some cookies for this review *hands over plate*

B: Awww you know me so well *eats them all!!*

C: :D







21 comments:

  1. Lydia is my least favorite of the sisters. She seems likable in the first one though.

    I don't remember Mary. LOL on the TB comment. Suffocate the bitch! JK

    Lovely chat. Cute comic strips

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lydia was not really in that one. As for Mary, she is mentioned briefly a couple of times

      Delete
  2. There's no end to P&P variants, is there?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one sounds too annoying but the second book seems better.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both books sound good. I love these discussions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these sound interesting. It was such fun to read your book discussion. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did try one about Kitty and Fitzwilliam but it wasn't this one. In fact I haven't read any these 2. But I always love variations! Fun reviews girls!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure now, have I read one? Or was it just mentioned and I did not read the book but one after it. Cos for some reason I am happy about the match

      Delete
  7. you two are funny, loved the discussion ... one day me and a variation will meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww, another super-duper double post :) The first one ... meh, don't care much to TSTL ladies. They're not good for my blood pressure, lol. The second one - yay! A Kitty book - mewants!!! Love this back-and-forth, keep at it, will ya? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I am glad you enjoyed it.

      The Kitty one is still free it seems

      Delete
  9. Most Truly is still free so I picked it up :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha love these cartoons! I agree Georgiana deserves a HEA, I want to read that one!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have both of these on my Kindle, so I'll have to get around to reading them. Enjoyed your discussion!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP