Friday 27 March 2015

Harrison squared - Daryl Gregory

From award winning author Daryl Gregory comes a thrilling and colorful Lovecraftian adventure of a teenage boy searching for his mother, and the macabre creatures he encounters.

Harrison Harrison—H2 to his mom—is a lonely teenager who’s been terrified of the water ever since he was a toddler in California, when a huge sea creature capsized their boat, and his father vanished. One of the “sensitives” who are attuned to the supernatural world, Harrison and his mother have just moved to the worst possible place for a boy like him: Dunnsmouth, a Lovecraftian town perched on rocks above the Atlantic, where strange things go on by night, monsters lurk under the waves, and creepy teachers run the local high school. 

On Harrison’s first day at school, his mother, a marine biologist, disappears at sea. Harrison must attempt to solve the mystery of her accident, which puts him in conflict with a strange church, a knife­wielding killer, and the Deep Ones, fish­-human hybrids that live in the bay. It will take all his resources—and an unusual host of allies—to defeat the danger and find his mother. 

My thoughts:
I read this one in a night. I was all put it down and do something else, but no I could not put it down and do something else!! I HAD to finish it. The perfect read it in a night book.

Harrison comes with his mum to this strange town. The kids are kind of Stepford-esque. The school is weird. There is a church in town and something strange about that too. Everyone is just...strange. Very nice and spooky premise.

Harrison's mum disappears and he wants to find her. He refuses to believe she is dead, and more strange thing will now happen as he goes on a hunt for answers.

What on earth is going on in this town? Something that is not normal that is for sure. And what about those dreams of his, about something gigantic hiding in the sea? There is where the whole Lovecraftian thing comes in, and yes I love that.

I wanted to know what would happen, what actually was going on, and if we would see one of the Old ones. The ending was, an ending. But there were still loose ends so pleeease write more, I need more. It still works like this too, but hey if a book is good, then of course I want more. What happens after this book you know.

Conclusion:
I think it was called YA and not YA. But either way, I do recommend it. Great book, great story. A book you can't put down.

Cover
Too yellow

Paperback, 272 pages
Expected publication: March 27th 2015 by Titan Books
Fiction, paranormal, YA
For review

28 comments:

  1. Oh, those sneaky books that suck us in like that!

    Agree about the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's already on my list, I was already caught at "Lovecraftian" ;D

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I love finding reads like that that I refuse to do anything else but finish :D And yes. A LOT of yellow. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to hear you liked this. I thought it was a great read too, and if you want more of Harrison you should try out We Are All Completely Fine, which is about him as an adult...and the books is so much more disturbing. But in the good, scary way :)

    I love the UK cover to this, btw.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes i saw later that he had other books, and about Harrison as an adult. They sound so different, and what more disturbing, that sounds scary

      Delete
  5. YA?? You? :) Okay, you recommending that makes me want to read it more! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In that case I will NOT read this at night because I love my sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a good page turner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This does sound like a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh it's nice to have a good book like that you want to read in one go.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I would've totally missed out on this one if not for you! It sounds incredible - of course you couldn't put it down. I can't wait to read it too :) Hope your weekend is going well. Take some good pics on your walk tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so good, and weird, love that!

      I will try :D

      Delete
  11. What a coincidente, I bought this book just two days ago. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds kind of creepy and totally awesome! WAAAANT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover screams that it's a fun read. lol. Thanks for sharing about it.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP