Monday 16 March 2015

Heart of Brass - Kate Cross

Arden, undercover for The Wardens of the Realm who protect 1898 steampunk England, has the status, wealth, and independence of a countess - and can see the final moments of a murder victim’s life. Her husband Lucas vanishes until she spots him one night. The Company wiped his memory, sent him to kill her, but he cannot. Yet if he does not, someone will — and kill him.

My thoughts:
I was disappointed. See I recently finished a trilogy by this author and that trilogy was awesome, I could not put it down and it made me want more by her. Sure this is another pen-name, but it did feel like a totally different author too.

It was steampunk, but a few gadgets does not steampunk make. I always want more.

Lucas was gone 7 years and suddenly lots had changed for women...yeah, more time needed there. Or at least tell us things that led to that. They had a female PM, well, then at least there had to be women in parliament when he went away..right?

Arden waited for him all that time and refused to believe he was dead. She never looked at another man. Of course Lucas had no memory so he was free to spread out. I did not like that. 7 years for a woman in her early 20s is a lot. And everyone said he was dead but whatever. She had an "intuition. "

He tries to kill her, she is a bit tstl.

But it was good. But not good enough to make me want to read more. No, I can say this was the end of this series for me. Sometimes those books that are good, are just not good enough to tempt me with more. 
 
Cover
good

Paperback, 371 pages
Published May 1st 2012 by Signet Eclipse
Clockwork Agents #1
Steampunk romance
Own

33 comments:

  1. No, please, not a heroine tstl and steampunk-flavoured story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. It was still good, just that other series was so awesome

      Delete
  3. Loved your review, those holes in the book, sound like they were a bit much to swallow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I total agree with your comment "... but a few gadgets does not steampunk make." It bugs me when an author does an alternate timeline and tosses in some gadgets and calls it steampunk. With that said, I've not read this series, but my friend has and she enjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept thinking of her other series, which was awesome!

      But no, even if I had not read that other one it would still not be for me

      Delete
  5. I read a novella once by this author and it was good, though not amazing. This doesn't sound like my kind of steampunk (I do prefer a bit more going on than just some gadgets).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a novella by her under yet another pen name ;)

      Delete
  6. It's amazing how different pen names can sound. I LOVE the JDRobb books. Devour them. Can't get past chapter 2 in the Nora Roberts ones. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I forgot she was also Roberts! See the things one forget

      Delete
  7. Hm... not for me. I don't like a tstl female. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't like any TSTL characters, so...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool beans! I can remove this from my TBR because I am particular about my Steampunk world. You're right, gadgets does not make Steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that it wasn't as good as you thought it would be. Steampunk is always quite tricky because sometimes it's really light.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry it wasn't what you'd hoped for.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Meh, tstl protagonists make me yawn. And then the make me pull on my hair which, due to spring and all that, is already falling a bit, so I really don't think I need to "help" the process along. So, there. Spunky review - melikes a lot :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D I write as I write, and I am glad people enjoy it :)

      Delete
  13. It's a shame it wasn't as good as you'd hoped.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh no TSTL is my least favorite quality in a heroine. :( Sorry this wasn't better but at least you've trimmed your TBR pile by deciding not to continue with the series. :-) Silver lining!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, but yes that is the silver lining in it :) I so do not need another series to read

      Delete
  15. I liked to her other series. It was more steampunk. This one wasn't high ony list and it's slipped down farther.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just talking with someone about steampunk the other day and how a few small gadgets in the book does not make it steampunk. Glad I'm not the only one that sees that. And I'd not heard of this book before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do want more, cos else, what even makes it so? This one had to be fair more than usual, still not not enough

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP