Tuesday 17 March 2015

Memoir of Lady Trent 1, 2 - Marie Brennan

You, dear reader, continue at your own risk. It is not for the faint of heart—no more so than the study of dragons itself. But such study offers rewards beyond compare: to stand in a dragon’s presence, even for the briefest of moments—even at the risk of one’s life—is a delight that, once experienced, can never be forgotten. . . .

All the world, from Scirland to the farthest reaches of Eriga, know Isabella, Lady Trent, to be the world’s preeminent dragon naturalist. She is the remarkable woman who brought the study of dragons out of the misty shadows of myth and misunderstanding into the clear light of modern science. But before she became the illustrious figure we know today, there was a bookish young woman whose passion for learning, natural history, and, yes, dragons defied the stifling conventions of her day.

Here at last, in her own words, is the true story of a pioneering spirit who risked her reputation, her prospects, and her fragile flesh and bone to satisfy her scientific curiosity; of how she sought true love and happiness despite her lamentable eccentricities; and of her thrilling expedition to the perilous mountains of Vystrana, where she made the first of many historic discoveries that would change the world forever.

My thoughts:
I honestly did not know what to expect from this one. It sounded intriguing but how would it be?

Oh it was lovely, absolutely lovely. Set in a world akin to our own, except they have dragons. But I liked how it could be our world, our countries, and at the same time not. I liked how she was sent to have her season and get a man. I liked how she, Isabella, was fascinated by dragons. She wanted to learn, but she was a woman. A naturalist, no, not a woman's job. And I liked how she wanted a man for his library...good girl ;)

After getting married there is the real adventure. Where she gets to see dragons in the wild, and tell her tale. Because this is a memoir, and yes I could totally believe some woman 200 years ago wrote it. But as we do not have dragons, alas, it was only a fantasy novel.

The closeness to our world never gets to close. Cos that is a pet peeve of mine, why invent but do not go further? Here only the names of people are similar (like oh she is English, he is Russian), and certain other things. But it still is totally her world, her creation, and it was a lovely and fun creation.

I do look forward to reading more of Isabellas's adventures. 


Paperback, 335 pages
Published February 14th 2014 by Titan Books (first published February 5th 2013)
Memoir by Lady Trent #1
Fantasy
Library

Three years after her fateful journeys through the forbidding mountains of Vystrana, in which she lost her husband, the widowed Mrs. Camherst defies family and convention to embark on an expedition to the savage, war-torn continent of Eriga, home of such exotic draconian species as the grass-dwelling snakes of the savannah, arboreal tree snakes, and, most elusive of all, the legendary swamp-wyrms of the tropics.

The expedition is not an easy one. Accompanied by both an old associate and a runaway heiress, Isabella must brave oppressive heat, merciless fevers, palace intrigues, gossip, and other hazards in order to satisfy her boundless fascination with all things draconian, even if it means venturing deep into the forbidden jungle known as the Green Hell – where her courage, resourcefulness, and scientific curiosity will be tested as never before. 

My thoughs:
Just as good as book 1 if not better :)

3 years has gone by since book 1. Isabella still wants to study dragons. She is dealing with the aftermath from book 1; the loss of Jacob, and the birth of her son. But that is not what this book is about.

Nope, Isabella goes on another adventure with Wilkins and a runaway heiress. There will be dragons, studies and scandals brewing.

I so like Isabella, she loves her dragons and I like discovering things about, well this world's dragons, and I like how the book is written and I can't wait to read book 3 :) 

I am recommending this series.

Paperback, 345 pages
Published June 20th 2014 by Titan Books
Memoir by Lady Trent #2
Fantasy
Library

33 comments:

  1. Haha I would totally marry a man for his library. :-) I definitely need to read these, I've been curious about them for too long. Time to pick them up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave this to my brother for Christmas last year. Not sure if he's read it or not, but now I'm thinking I should have kept it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm bouncing up and down with excitement that you are liking this series. It's one of the most unique series featuring dragons I have ever read - I love the natural sciences angle! So glad you decided to catch up with this series before hitting Voyage of the Basilisk, it is worth it!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good!! And I am SO glad I managed to get book 1 and 2 and read them before starting book 3. So much better now.

      Gonna start voyage too soon, yay

      Delete
  4. I remember Melissa@Books and Things reviewing this and I was interested. Now after reading your review I want to read these. I like the soudn of the dragons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she liked them too :) So now you must read them

      Delete
  5. I've been wondering if these are good but now I have to try these. And of course my library doesn't have this...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't realize this was a series and I didn't understand that it was a full story. I guess I thought it was just illustrations.

    It sounds very cool!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is one of the reasons I was unsure, I heard it was good, but I expected something..well not good ;) And there were like 10 illustrations and it was a great addition

      Delete
  7. I don't think this would be for me, but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly, when I first saw this, I thought this was like a textbook LOL. Now me wants this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well crap..I needs these Linda..adding to my must have list

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the second cover much better than the first. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh it's great, mainly for the sequel! I haven't read the books but I've heard of them. I need to try one day. Plus dragons? Who don't love them?

    ReplyDelete
  12. For me it's rare that a second book is better than the first. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Okay, this wasn't anywhere near my radar, and now you tell me it's a sequel? As in, book 2? My, don't I feel uninformed... *hides face in shame* This series is too wonderful to miss! Another electrifying review here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will soon read book 3 ;) After that you have to read it

      Delete
  14. I won the second book, so I need to get the first one (yet). I was always wondering if it was a story or something else. Sounds like a story of her studying dragons. Cool. I need to get the first so I can read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is the story :) It sure made me unsure but then I was all, hey this IS a story, cool

      Delete
  15. So much fun! I love dragons..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree.I only read book#1 but it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a strange book. Not sure if it's for me. The world building sounds awesome though, and dragons! Her personal life sounds crappy though.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a strange book. Not sure if it's for me. The world building sounds awesome though, and dragons! Her personal life sounds crappy though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange, and in another way not. Try it ;)

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP