Monday 9 March 2015

The soft whisper of dreams - Christina Courtenay

Some dreams shouldn’t come true … 
Maddie Browne thought she’d grown out of the recurring nightmare that plagued her as a child, but after a shocking family secret is revealed, it comes back to haunt her – the same swing in the same garden, the kind red-haired giant and the swarthy arms which grab her from behind and try to take her away … 

In an attempt to forget her troubles, Maddie travels to Devon to spend time with her friends, Kayla and Wes. However, it becomes clear that relaxation will not be on the agenda after a disturbing encounter with a gypsy fortune teller. Not to mention the presence of Wes’s dangerously handsome brother, Alex. 

And then there’s the fact that Maddie’s dream seems to be coming true … 

My thoughts:
I did know some of the characters from book 1, but I do say it works perfect as a stand alone.

It's about Maddie (who is friends with the heroine from book 1.) She goes to visit her friend after her parents died. Oh and she found out she was adopted, and her sister is a real piece of work.

What this book then has is a bit of a mystery. Who were her real parents? Why did they give her up for adoption? Why does she have this strange dream?

And then there is the suspense part. Some secrets are better left buried. You never know who will come for you...

But hey do not forget the romance part. Though this is not a romance book. There are looks, thoughts, but no real romantic action. She meets Alex, who has been in jail and wants to turn his life around. They slowly become friends, they slowly want more, but there is a lot going on. Love comes slowly, and makes it feel real. No rushing into things here.

What we instead get is a mystery suspense love story. The danger is constant, but there is a HEA on the horizon :)

I kind of hope a certain new character gets a book of her own...just saying. She deserves it :)

Cover
Nice

Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published March 7th 2015 by Choc Lit
Marcombe Hall #2
Women's fiction
For review

39 comments:

  1. Blech. Monday. Monday after losing an hour to Daylight Savings Time began.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love when they give side-characters some spotlight, I hope they give it to her too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a slow building romance! Even though the story seems to be about more than just that.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this one before but I'm definitely curious about it now. Adding it to my TBR--I just can't resist a good HEA or a solid mystery. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have thought this would be a romance book all the way, but pleasantly surprised to hear that it is not. I like the stories which are heavier on thoughts and feeling anyway, what good is action if there's no connection, after all.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. There needs to be a connection. Sure I can read about those almost insta love, but I do not always feel them

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a great mystery and I am glad the romance doesn't overpower the story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great cover and sounds like full of suspense

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad it works as a standalone. Hm... this sounds interesting and I like a slow romance.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo. Sounds like a nice read. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do like a slow romance and so nice that this will work as standalone *eyes tbr pile*

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how totally involved you were with this novel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't know about this one, but it sounds perfect for my current mood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds good. I'm glad it can be read as a standalone.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It sounds interesting, it's the first time I hear about it. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of this series of heard of it before, sounds like you really got into it and its good you can read it alone.

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like when it can be done, sure always better to read book 1 but not a must

      Delete
  16. Sounds like one for the tbr list.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The no-rushing thing - is there anything better? Seriously! :D The mystery part is intriguing, and I love that the characters sounds as though they've got some layers. Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for all these lovely comments and a special thank you for the great review! I hadn't planned on a story for the new character but you've made me think now ... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds awesome - I love a good mystery and throw in a HEA and I'm sold. :-) Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP