Sunday 5 April 2015

Carole Reviews: Scent of the Soul - Julie Doherty

Author: Julie Doherty
Title: Scent of the Soul
Genre: Historical Romance
Pages: ebook
First Published: Feb 11th, 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


In twelfth century Scotland, it took a half-Gael with a Viking name to restore the clans to their rightful lands. Once an exile, Somerled the Mighty now dominates the west. He’s making alliances, expanding his territory, and proposing marriage to the Manx princess. 



It’s a bad time to fall for Breagha, a torc-wearing slave with a supernatural sense of smell. 


Somerled resists the intense attraction to a woman who offers no political gain, and he won’t have a mistress making demands on him while he’s negotiating a marriage his people need. Besides, Breagha belongs to a rival king, one whose fresh alliance Somerled can’t afford to lose. 


It’s when Breagha vanishes that Somerled realizes just how much he needs her. He abandons his marriage plans to search for her, unprepared for the evil lurking in the shadowy recesses of Ireland—a lustful demon who will stop at nothing to keep Breagha for himself.


**HAPPY EASTER EVERYONE!**


Mmmmmmm....this was not what I was expecting AT all. I was expecting a full on historical romance. Sweet and simple. OH GOODNESS...I WAS WRONG! This was not your a-typical romance. This was intense and I had NO IDEA what was going to happen. HEA seemed very, nearly impossible. Well, even looking at the summary it seems impossible, because Somerlad is a king, while Breagha is a commoner who was captured as a slave. However, as you get into the story it was even MORE impossible. 


It took me a couple chapters before I got into it, because I was confused. There are SO many characters introduced and some much going on, it took my brain a while to figure it out. Once I did manage to get the going ons and the characters, all was well for me. 


Okay....I will be honest here....I thought Breagha's "power" was laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaame. Really? You can smell really good? So silly. I was hoping there was more to it. Like she can smell AND have awesome cat like moves. IDK just something to go along with a good smell. It certainly can benefit her, but it was still kinda lame. I would be pissed if that was what my gift was...especially during the 12th century. Smelly. Ew.


ANYWAYS

I also wasn't a fan of the time shifts near the end. It kind of ruined the how-in-the-hell-are-they-going-to-get-their-HEA? Don't get me wrong...I was still rather worried, BUT there are a couple of spoiler moments in those time hops. 


But yes, this was a nice ride. Not your a-typical romance. I totally recommend this to those that may not be huge HRs, but do like action and a wee bit of fantasy intertwined. It was certainly an interesting book. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 3 stars. :)   



Favorite Character(s): The old woman from the beginning (I can't remember her name...the names are hard in this one), Breagha (even tho her power was kinda lame), the dogs, & Maguire. 

Not-so Favorite Character(s): The main baddie (creep)







2 comments:

  1. My first impression from reading your review? Too many characters. No wonder it was tough keeping track. And the smell thing? Yep, I'm definitely with you on that. Lol, maybe it was a metaphor for something? I just can't quite fit it into my head :D Still, overall, it does sound interesting, so I'll put it down under a defintely-maybe... Happy Easter to you too!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP