Sunday 12 April 2015

Carole's Sunday: Immigrant soldier - K.Lang-Slattery

Author: K. Lang-Slattery
Title: Immigrant Soldier - The Story of a Ritchie Boy
Genre: Historical Fiction, Biography
Pages: 391
First Published: February 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


Immigrant Soldier, The Story of a Ritchie Boy, based on the true experiences of a refugee from Nazi Germany, combines a coming of age story with an immigrant tale and a World War II adventure. On a cold November morning in 1938, Herman watches in horror as his cousin is arrested. As a Jew, he realizes it is past time to flee Germany, a decision that catapults him from one adventure to another, his life changed forever by the gathering storm of world events. Gradually, Herman evolves from a frustrated teenager, looking for a place to belong, into a confident U.S. Army Intelligence officer who struggles with hate and forgiveness


This book came across at a perfect time! I was really in the mood for a nice HF set during WWII especially with focus on the Nazis and the Holocaust, due to Boyfriend and I passing by the Holocaust Museum in Michigan. We live close by and I had gone there with my class in Middle School. Such an experience. I really must go again...even though I was sobbing like a child the whole time. It is SO tragic. Boyfriend never has been there, so I think that is something he needs to experience.


ANYWAYS

Poor Herman....but kuddos to him taking up the uniform and fighting against those that ruined his country and his life. He was lucky to avoid the camps, but many people that he knew where arrested and sent there. 

Herman was such a brave and successful guy. How come I never heard of him? Well...that is a silly question, because there were millions and millions of people who did amazing things during this time period, so it is near impossible to hear/read all their tales. I am glad his niece shared his story.

The author did a wonderful job bringing this world alive. I was drawn in from page one. I felt like I was a fly in the room. A silly metaphor, but true. The only thing lacking was some emotion. I didn't connect with Herman emotionally. I felt bad and proud of him, but I didn't connect with him emotionally. I think the author focused too much on facts and the story, which works for me too, but I do love connecting emotionally as well. 

I really want a TV special or a movie about Herman! That would be awesome. His story really needs to be told.

In the end, I enjoyed this story. I am deeply proud of Herman, but I certainly felt bad for him. His country and old life was ripped away from him due to hate. Ugh, how can people deny what the Nazis did? There is SO much proof. GAH. ANYWAYS (I will avoid that ramble, because that is a whole different post and issue), I totally recommend it for those that like HF and/or biography-type books. This was a good one and I really think this should be turned into a TV special or a movie. *nods* Out of five stars, I stamp this with 4. More like 3.5, but I rounded since I do not do decimals.


Favorite Character(s): Herman and Herman's uncle

Not-so Favorite Character(s): Herman's mother (just for the fact she waited sooooo long to leave. Why not leave with her son? *sighs*) and of course those damn Nazis (WHY, WHY?! GAH)



7 comments:

  1. I sued to read a lot of books like that and I confess that you're intriguing me with this one. I want to go back to this kind of books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate Nazis too. They're so narrow minded & just plain bigots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am currently reading Prisoner of NIght and Fog which is along this same vein. I am always fascinated by WWII books, it is so horrifying and sad. I will have to look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really enjoy this era and stories based on WWII adding to my list

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must admit, I'm not aware of Herman's story and I want to learn more. You're right, there should be a movie or a TV feature :) Really interesting review, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As a teenager, I watched a documentary on the camps : a huge mountain of toys was outside of a storage shed where they poisoned children by gas, I've never been able to forget this, how could they do such a thing...

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP