Sunday 26 April 2015

Joint Discussion: The Heresy Within - Rob J.Hayes


For this post, C and I will be reviewing 'The Heresy Within':


Author: Rob J. Hayes
Title: The Heresy Within
Genre: Fantasy, Adventure, Sci-Fi, & drama
Pages: ebook
First Published: November 2014
Where I Got It: Freebie

Thanquil Darkheart is an Arbiter of the Inquisition, a witch hunter tasked with hunting down and purging heretics. Thanquil Darkheart is also something else, expendable.

When the God-Emperor of Sarth tells Thanquil there is a traitor operating among the highest echelon of the Inquisition he knows he has no choice but to sail to the city of Chade and follow the Emperor's single lead.

The Black Thorn is a murderer, a thug, a thief and worse but he's best known for the killing of six Arbiters. These days he travels with a crew of six of the most dangerous sell-swords in the wilds. 

After a job well done they find themselves on the run from the law once again but the boss has good news; a new job, the biggest any of them have ever pulled. First, however, they need to evade capture long enough to secure travel to the free city of Chade.

Jezzet Vel'urn is a Blademaster; a swords-woman of prodigious skill but she knows that for a woman like her in the wilds there are two ways out of most situations; fight or screw. Truth is, all too often for Jezzet's liking, it comes down to a combination of the two. Jezzet is chased half-way across the wilds by a vengeful warlord until she makes it to the free city of Chade. Instead of sanctuary, however, all she finds are guards waiting to turn her over for some quick gold. 


B: Helooooooooo

C: Hola!!!!! So...shall we begin? I fear this will be a short-ish review. o.o

B:Yeah, I did NOT finish this one. How far did I make it now again? I have a feeling it was p 20 or something.

C: I “finished” it. hahaha I stopped actually reading about 25 and then skimmed it. 0.0 BAD! YOU NO FINISH!!!!! *points finger accusingly* hehehe just kidding.

B: Says the girl who skimmed the rest. But goooods, wasn’t it dreadfully boring!

C: It was, it was. Even the “exciting” parts could barely catch my attention. I just skimmed and skimmed and then actually read the last couple of pages - I felt bad.

B: I just checked my dnf review. It seems I made it to p 50! Wohoo me ;) But I could not remember anything about those first 50 pages. because I was bored from page 1. Everything was bad, characters, story, nothing fell into place for me.

C: Same. I just couldn’t grasp feelings for the book. Its something I should’ve liked! It was a mix of Lord of the Rings & that ‘Witcher’ series (I have not read the series, but I played the one game and I loved the storyline and main guy). However, it fell FLAT with me. Bleh.

B: The religious stuff seemed semi interesting, the girl just taken could have been interesting. The men, no. The woman who did something at the beginning...I got a feeling I would have been so annoyed by her if I read on. Ohh look at me, strong warrior woman, whatever. See, I did not like anything. Even the interesting bits failed to catch my attention. That book would have needed one big re-write.

C: I couldn’t agree more. The girl WAS annoying. And not even being “strong warrior woman”, it was because she liked to solve issues with sex. Gah, I couldn’t help but roll my eyes at all the sex. There was a lot more sex than I expected.

B: Ok, then my feeling about her was right, maybe she said something. Like I said I was bored and did not pay attention. But omg, can’t she even be strong on her own!? Why make her solves issues like that? Can’t she just fight. But no, she is a weak woman who uses sex. So written by a man. I never got to any sex parts so I can’t say about that, but sometimes in fantasy sex is just there for ohh look at this, they have sex *eyeroll*.

C: t was annoying because she WAS a strong woman! She could easily fight her way out, but nah, sex is more fun….whatever….like you said….obviously a man wrote this. I don’t mind the sexy scenes, but I want there to be meaning behind it. NOT just filler. WHICH there is A LOT OF FILLER IN THIS BOOK!

B: That reminds me of another book. The sex was only there to make it all grim *eyeroll*. I have HR to read if I want that, not grim, but you know, lots of passion. In  my fantasy I want more. So a big fail for both of us?

C: A HUGE big fail for both of us I am assuming. haha

B: And I picked it, by LOKI! ;) Sigh, better luck next time.

C: *pats back* Can’t win them all. hahaha Want a cookie?…*hands plate of cookies*

B: I so need cookies after  my big failure

C: *crunches on cookie* I bet my big failure is on the horizon. Good review!!!!!

B: aye, that reminds me, we got nothing picked for May *music of doom*

C: CRAP! Emergency MEETING!!!!! *blares alarm*

B: Your turn…. ;)

C: 0.0 *crunches on cookie*











27 comments:

  1. Fun discussion! At least you guys have cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! Sorry it wasn't more, at last one of you finished it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was pure GRIMDARK fan fiction as far as I could tell. Like, as much crap as people who right Twilight fan-fic get I saw this as something like an Abercrombie version of that. MEH.

    The magic was cool though, with pre written ruins casting the spells.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha...that makes a lot of sense! Grimdark fanfic, go figure.

      I never got to that part :/

      Delete
  4. oh no! You were BOTH bored. That's bad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved reading this review. It doesn't seem like my kind of book, but the post is fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry you didn't like this one, it actually sounded pretty good to me and a few other bloggers I know who prefer this type of fantasy enjoyed it so I picked it up. Maybe it'll be more my style.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope that you will. If a book can't even catch my attention on p 1, then it does seemed doomed

      Delete
  7. Not for me, thank you very much and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only good thing about this book is that it brought out the cookies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, at least you two have cookies, so it's not all bad. Still, sorry for the disappointment - strange, given how exciting that blurb seems, right? But there you have it again: never judge a book by its cover... Now, if only I were able to take my own advice! Great back-and-forth :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hopes, oh those hopes. But the moment I started to read it, ugh. SO NOT for me

      Delete
  10. It's sad that at this time and age (most) male authors still can't write strong women. For most of them a strong woman means an easy vagina. Very disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love when you get together and chat like this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cookies make up for even the most boring of books! :-) Love these joint reviews (and the illustrations), hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D
      And Carole does the pics, she is awesome

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP