Thursday 23 April 2015

The Grendel affair - Lisa Shearin

We’re Supernatural Protection & Investigations, known as SPI. Things that go bump in the night, the monsters you thought didn’t exist? We battle them and keep you safe. But some supernatural baddies are just too big to contain, even for us…

When I moved to New York to become a world famous journalist, I never imagined that snagging a job at a seedy tabloid would change my career path from trashy reporter to undercover agent. I’m Makenna Fraser, a Seer for SPI. I can see through any disguise, shield, or spell that a paranormal pest can come up with. I track down creatures and my partner, Ian Byrne, takes them out—usually saving my skin in the process.

Our cases are generally pretty routine, but a sickle-wielding serial killer has been prowling the city’s subway tunnels. And the murderer’s not human. The fiend in question, a descendant of Grendel—yes, that Grendel—shares his ancestor’s hatred of parties, revelry, and drunkards. And with New Year’s Eve in Times Square only two days away, we need to bag him quickly. Because if we don’t find him—and the organization behind him—by midnight, our secret’s out and everyone’s time is up.

My thoughts:
I was a bit disappointed. I liked her other series, it was good going on amazing, and I read them all pretty fast. This series was more good going on ok. There are good books that make you want to read more, and then there are good books that do not make you wanna read more. There are many shades of 3.

So we have reached the conclusion it was good, but nothing special...

Mac is a seer, she works for an organization. There are supes, normies do not know. She has a human partner (maybe a love interest, maybe not, nothing so far.) She was kind of meh, Ian was kind of meh.

Some Norwegians showed up, everyone was blonde, not everyone is blond, but whatever.

There are monsters, action, dragon, and this mysterious guy that had one line and was the only person I wanted to read more about.

Conclusion:
So yes sure it was good, but not good enough.

Cover
A bit too fakey

Mass Market Paperback, 292 pages
Published December 31st 2013 by Ace
SPI Files #1
Urban fantasy
Own

43 comments:

  1. Mac? Horrible girl name. Damn Norwegians being all blonde and stuff. ;) hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. That's what I felt over this Katie Reus' PNR series I read a while ago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I'm glad to hear you liked her other series, b/c the first book of this one is all I've read of Shearin, and I wasn't impressed . . . so I wrote the other one off . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This just was not for me, too bad, I wanted a new series by her

      Delete
  4. What, not all Norweigans are blond? I had no idea....

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right, there are many shades of 3, that's why I rated books that make me want to read more with a 3,5 - at least, it makes a little difference. I'll be looking up that other series, thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though I never give a rating here, because it makes people assume things. I can really enjoy a book, but they see it's a three and tell me they are sorry I did not like it

      Delete
  6. I was wondering if you were going to check out this series. It's probably more strict urban fantasy, but her protagonist doesn't have much of a personality which probably makes the book more mediocre when it could have been great. I actually liked this more than book two, so would be an understandable decision not continuing.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was rather dull wasn't she? The only thing I know about her now is that she is a seer..right

      And if you liked this one more?! Ugh, I cannot go on :/

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear it was a little disappointing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is this her newest series? It seems like it's an okay one. I think there was another book in this series that recently released, I think. I could be wrong though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, book 2, but I do not think I will go on

      Delete
  9. I actually read this one. It was ok. Wasn't inspired to read any more, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We agree then, not moving on to the next 1

      Delete
  10. Well for a change you didn't add to my pile or make me feel like I was missing out on an awesome series. Hope your next read rocks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am reading a good one, ok I have not started yet but I am gonna read a good series ;)

      Delete
  11. Oh boo. I guess you're not continuing on?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you were disappointed with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh sorry it wasn't more for the end...

    ReplyDelete
  14. So no Nordic blonde hair or blue eyes, guess I should just move from Norway then since I obviously do not fit in(for some of those outside looking in) ;) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm sorry this one didn't work well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I liked this one and definitely agree about the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! They should give out awards for what you're doing, Linda, which is capture the essence of ANY book in a nutshell. It's an amazing skill!!! You could totally write blurbs, you realize that? :) Great review! Have an awesome weekend <3

    ReplyDelete
  18. This first one wasn't much for me either, but it gets better.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Bummed you didn't like this one that much. I really enjoy this series. I'm still up for trying her other series since you like it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The other one worked so well, and this one fell apart :/

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP