Wednesday 22 April 2015

The perfect mistress - Victoria Alexander

Widowed Julia, Lady Winterset, has inherited a book—a very shocking book—that every gentleman in London seems to want. For a charismatic businessman, it's a chance to build an empire. For a dashing novelist, it could guarantee fame. But to a proud, domineering earl, it means everything. . .

Harrison Landingham, Earl of Mountdale, can't let the obstinate Julia release the shameless memoir that could ruin his family's name. But the only way to stop her may be equally sordid—if far more pleasurable. For his rivals are intent on seducing the captivating woman to acquire the book. And Harrison isn't the sort to back away from a competition with the stakes this high. Now the winner will claim both the scandalous memoirs and the heart of their lovely owner. . . 

My thoughts:
When I am besieged by dnfs, the only thing to do is to read a HR. And so I did, and I enjoyed it.

Julia is a widow in need of money. She is sweet and proper. And then she gets the memoirs of her notorious great grandmother. A woman of many affairs.

Harrison is a proper gentleman, and if I called Julia proper then she is wild next to this one. He is rather stiff and wants to find a wife by looking at a list of proper things a wife should be. Oh I like the proper ones, they always loose their heads. Oh I totally forgot, so the reason these two meets is that Harrison's dad is mentioned in the memoir! OMG, NOOOOOO! Scandal has never touched this family, the horror.

The story is then, he wants her to not publish the book. She needs money. He has plans. She has alternatives. He starts to have feelings.

Conclusion:
It was fun, and I enjoyed it :) 

cover
eh

Paperback, 400 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Zebra Books
Sinful Family Secrets #1
Historical romance
Own

46 comments:

  1. Congrats for winning over your DNF slump ;) You liking how the proper ones lose their heads made me laugh !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have posted a lot lately, but I have given myself the freedom to dnf

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, HF always restores my book soul. This does sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on a funk too. I can only focus on YA and/or thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am over my funk ;) My funk was only cos of dnfs. And then I need to refresh my palate with HR and move on

      Delete
  5. When in doubt...read a romance. Especially a HR. :) You can't really go wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! Sometimes you just need a good romance to cleanse the palate :) Glad this one worked for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound like fun - the perfect dnf slump breaker! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a fun premise. I am in the middle of a slump too. Hate that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slumps suck, though I would not call mine a slump. I got a few dnfs, and moved on

      Delete
  9. Not for my but as it worked for you then ok.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, it's fluffy and cute and not for you

      Delete
  10. I love a good historical romance! I haven't read anything by Victoria Alexander before, but I'll look her up.

    ~Ailsa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh sorry for the dnfs. That always sucks. Good thing there are genres you always fall back on. I need to get going with my HRs again. They do seem to always be something I can really get into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eh, moving on :)

      They are great for that, a bit of fluffy escapism. That is the only genre that works like that for me

      Delete
  12. Love a good HR and this one sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you enjoyed this. I've been wanting to read this author for a long time. Glad to hear her books are good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read romance novels to get me out of a funk. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It sounds so much fun there! Mainly Harrison!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the sound of this one, but I agree, the cover is pretty eh :) But the premise of the story has got a lot of promise. Adding this - thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like it when the proper ones lose their heads too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. HR can always take me out of a slump. Adding this to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ya know - I was never a fan of HR but now I do the same thing when I'm in a reading slump. HR's are so reliable for a light, fun read.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So perfect for it :D It's not my fav genre, I do love my fantasy, for for short and fun, HR I go

      Delete
  20. I occasionally need a fun romance to read too, although my tastes in general are more contemporary these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those do not work as a palate cleanser for me for some reason, it needs to be hR

      Delete
  21. I also (used to) read HR when I'm (was) in need of a "pick me up" book, sadly, not even HRs have been able to change my reading mood. :(

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP