Monday 6 April 2015

The Rogue / The Traitor Queen - Trudi Canavan

Living among the Sachakan rebels, Lorkin does his best to learn about their unique magic. But the Traitors are reluctant to trade their secrets for the Healing they so desperately want.

Meanwhile, Sonea searches for the rogue, knowing that Cery cannot avoid assassination forever --- but the rogue's influence over the city's underworld, however, is far greater than she feared.

And in the University, two female novices are about to remind the Guild that sometimes their greatest enemy is found within... 

My thoughts:
Yet another character gets dragged into the series. Ok, so nothing wrong with many POVS, just they all gets so few pages. I got used to it, but it would have been better with longer stories.

Right so Sonea was a bit dull in this one. She is still trying to find that rogue. But nothing really happens to her.

Lorkin is with the traitors. They are women who wants an equal society, right so that is why men are below you all? I would leave, he is just too nice.

Then there is the new girl, Lilia, an easy manipulated fool who gets in trouble at the academy. Her I did not like, nor her new friend.

Darryl is doing his ambassador business, I like him cos he is searching for answers.

Then there are characters here and there....

Not a lot happened. Looking for that Rogue, dealing with traitors, silly girls doing silly things. Still I do want to know how it all will end. But it did stagnate a bit

Cover
Someone likes hoods and staffs

Paperback, 523 pages
Published April 1st 2012 by Orbit (first published 2011)
Traitor Spy Trilogy #2
Fantasy
Own

Events are building to a climax in Sachaka as Lorkin returns from his exile with the Traitor rebels. The Traitor Queen has given Lorkin the huge task of brokering an alliance between his people and the Traitors. Lorkin has also had to become a feared black magician in order to harness the power of an entirely new kind of gemstone magic. This knowledge could transform the Guild of Magicians - or make Lorkin an outcast forever.

My thoughts:
Even this book left an opening for more, arghhhh. I just want to close a book and think the end.

But no, everything is fine, but there might be something coming, maybe not now, but maybe in 20 years, maybe never, but it might.

Sonea does not do much. And she has Regin with her, but that i liked.

Lorkin does not do much, but he might finally get the woman he loves.

Lilia does do something, and gets bullied too. Repeat much?

Dannyl worries.

The whole "war" went way too fast, way too easy, sheesh peeps, why did you not do that 500 years ago if it happened in like a week? More death and destruction please.

I do not trust the traitors....

I do wonder about that loose thread, will something happen? So she really should write another trilogy.

I still miss Akkarin, sigh.

Conclusion:
But good, light and fast read fantasy.

Paperback, 539 pages
Published July 30th 2013 by Orbit (first published 2012)
Traitor Spy Trilogy #3
Fantasy
own

37 comments:

  1. It seems like all genres have silly girls doing silly things. I'm getting a bit tired of that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Well...it was not EXCITING!!!! But lol, nice

      Delete
  3. I always struggle a bit when there are so many characters and POVs to follow! I always end up just wanting to stay with my favorites:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, I do just want to read about one person. But here none stood out. I know that sounds bad, but I still enjoyed it

      Delete
  4. Fast reads for books of this length. Must be really well written! I like the premise very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I swear, if they don't know what to do for a fantasy cover, they slap someone in a hood on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For whatever reason, it makes me really uncomfortable when a series keeps getting more and more POV characters. It takes away from my reading enjoyment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Herm, I think I'll pass, thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I would not recommend it. Yes it was good, yes I enjoyed it, but not a lot happened

      Delete
  8. The covers are a bit bland, but at least they match. I think I own a book by Trudi Canavan, but it isn't one of these. I'm not a huge fan of reading many points of view

    ReplyDelete
  9. They do like the hood. :) This sounds like a fantasy you almost want all the books before you start. I also don't mind a multi POV... sometimes. When it works. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work, just make the characters more interesting

      Delete
  10. Her books are staring at me from the shelf...One day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the books, I would read more, but right now, recommend them? Nah

      Delete
  11. Good to hear it was a nice light fantasy

    ReplyDelete
  12. *waves* hiii!
    *crunches on carrot-shaped cookie*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *waves*
      *drinks water with no carrots in it*

      Delete
  13. You must be enjoying this series, to continue this far! I never read beyond The Black Magician, though I started her new series with Thief's Magic and I definitely want to continue with that one.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's strange, yes I enjoy it, no I would not recommend these ;)

      I was not a fan of that one

      Delete
  14. it sounds nice but maybe too many POVs for me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Again I've got the feeling there are all too many characters... It doesn't sound particularly appealing, honestly, but that might have to do with the fact that I haven't read the other books. Meh, will see. Another great review ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way yes, in another way no. Make them stand out more and more interesting, or take a few away

      Delete
  16. Great reviews Blodeuedd, thank you. Not sure if I will ever start this series though.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like the first has the middle child series. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Multiple POVs are tough for me, I'm usually wishing for more investment in each of the stories. This does sound intriguing though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work, it could have been worse ;)

      Delete
  19. I remember really been won over by the third installment, and I was so sad when it was over ;(

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP