Friday 17 April 2015

The sentinel mage - Emily Gee

Her magic may be the only thing that can save a prince—and the Seven Kingdoms.

In a distant corner of the Seven Kingdoms, an ancient curse festers and grows, consuming everything in its path. Only one man can break it: Harkeld of Osgaard, a prince with mage’s blood in his veins. But Prince Harkeld has a bounty on his head—and assassins at his heels.

Innis is a gifted shapeshifter. Now she must do the forbidden: become a man. She must stand at Prince Harkeld’s side as his armsman, protecting and deceiving him.

But the deserts of Masse are more dangerous than the assassins hunting the prince. The curse has woken deadly creatures, and the magic Prince Harkeld loathes may be the only thing standing between him and death. 

My thoughts:
A kind of light-ish fantasy. There wasn't really that much worldbuilding, fine there are different kingdoms and a sea, and one kingdom likes to conquer others..ok. Not what I call lots of worldbuilding. And the magic part, I guess it's hereditary? How do people get different powers? I do not know, I was not told. I was just told the bad kingdoms killed everyone with magic and another continent did not. Still, good.

The story then. A curse is making people into bloodthirsty beings. There is one way to stop it so the magic peeps comes to the bad kingdom to get a prince. The one prince who can stop it, then one who has magic. The judgmental idiot who judges before seeing facts, gods that one part that happened made me so mad. I would have beaten him to a bloody pulp. I could take the idiot things he said but that one part. Yes I do NOT like Harkeld.

The magicians, shapeshifters are a nice group. Innis is the one in focus, she is young and being built as Harkeld's love interest. She thinks he has hidden depths, and sure he has, just as he stops being an idiot. I liked his friend more.

Conclusion:
A lot of people are hunting for them.There is action and at the end I did want more. Sure I complained about stuff, but it was light and fun and I will read more. I almost finished in a day, that is good.

Oh I forgot, there is also this young boy fleeing for his life. And Harkeld's half sister who has to married a creep who is only there to have smexy times with her.  Though I should not call it smexy times, it was marital rape. So she had it bad. 

Cover 
good

Paperback, 509 pages
Published January 25th 2011 by Solaris
The Cursed Kingdoms #1
Fantasy
own

35 comments:

  1. Gah! Marital rape, I guess it happens especially in this setting. Savages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had no saying in who she married, he was gross and old, and did what he wanted

      Delete
  2. Sounds promising but flawed. Will you continue the series?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure it was nothing to go wow over, but it was a fast read and good, so I will continue

      Delete
  3. Light and fun with good action does sound nice even if few issues

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marital rape reminds me of GoT... Still, that book looks very good and a fun read for the week-end :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed it enough to continue, even if it wasn't perfect or very well fleshed out worldbuilding-wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a book can just be good, and not have that special thing

      Delete
  6. 0.0 *eats popcorn* Some Alien Jerry Springer stuff happening in this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No so happy to hear about the marital rape....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the times. I think in my country it was ok until the 90s to rape your wife

      Delete
  8. Was this YA fantasy? Because light-ish and not so good world building suggest that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA, diss on YA ;)
      Nah, adult. With the rape, drugs and death and all

      Delete
  9. Hm... don't think this one is for me. Not liking the marital rape which also sounds like they are passing it off as smexy times. :p Not liking the light-fantasy aspect either. Think I'll pass... Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no they are def not passing it off as smexy times. He has semxy times, she is mostly drugged out. It's not shown. Just oh now he walks into that room again

      Delete
  10. Prob not the one for me but glad you liked it enough to continue even with some bumps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes if the action and characters are good I don't mind a lighter fantasy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't really say I liked anyone that much

      Delete
  12. It sounds nice and fun even if the worldbuilding isn't that rich. thanks for the discovery!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ew, marital rape? I don't really want to read about that... Too bad about execution, really, because the story obviously shows great promise. Oh, well. That's how it goes sometimes... Enjoy your weekend, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was always behind a closed door and then everything was marital rape those days.

      Delete
  14. Uhm. But world building is crucial to a fantasy novel, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and sure others would not complain...

      Delete
  15. Light and fun fantasy is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP