Wednesday 1 April 2015

Twice Tempted by a Rogue - Tessa Dare

Luck is a double-edged sword for brooding war hero Rhys St. Maur. His death wish went unanswered on the battlefield, while fate allowed the murder of his good friend in the elite gentlemen's society known as the Stud Club. Out of options, Rhys returns to his ancestral home on the moors of Devonshire, expecting anything but a chance at redemption in the arms of a beautiful innkeeper who dares him to take on the demons of his past--and the sweet temptation of a woman's love. 

Meredith Maddox believes in hard work, not fate, and romance isn't part of her plan. But when Rhys returns, battle-scarred, world-weary, and more dangerously attractive than ever, the lovely widow is torn between determination and desire. As a deep mystery and dangerous smugglers threaten much more than their passionate reckoning, Meredith discovers that she must trust everything to a wager her heart placed long ago. 

My thoughts:
It's not often historical romance is only ok for me. I am not counting those ebooks I might have given up on. While this was print and I just had to try to finish it. Since it was ok after all, just lacking.

I got a lot of Dare books after having read her first one, but none have been as good as that first one.

In this one, well Rhys is a wounded blah blah Lord who shows up in the village of his youth. There he see Meredith, wants her, and like the next day tells her they should marry. Sorry? What? I think that was my issue. There was no real romance for me. I mean yes she starts to fall for him. BUT, I never felt it. He wanted her. She fell. But I was left wanting.

The drama is that dead guy from book 1 *yawns* and smugglers *yawns* That last part never had an ending, neither had the first.

And now I am out of Dare books, and eh, I do not mind. They just seems to get worse.

Cover
Right, and she works in an inn...right

Paperback, 363 pages
Published June 22nd 2010 by Ballantine Books
Stud Club #2
Historical romance
Own

34 comments:

  1. Aw that stinks none of them ever lived up to the first you read :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... what a review. I think I will pass on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, come on, everyone who works in an inn dresses like that, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw sorry this wasn't as good as you'd hoped

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think historical romances typically involve delusional lords insisting themselves into some unsuspecting damsels in one form or another, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well mostly those rogues are ttrying not to feel anything. THis guy was all I will marry you tomorrow

      Delete
  6. Well it looks like I need to get the first book and forget the rest. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I asked Boyfriend if he was tempted by a rogue. He said no. But he did not seem fazed that I asked such a question. o.o

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry you weren't happy with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah too bad that it doesn't improve in the end....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't like blah blah books, but I like Tessa Dare books. Don't give up on them!! Have you read her Castle Ever After series? Love those books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well..no, but I have been so disappointed so to buy, no, to get elsewhere, where is that? Can't even get them on NG

      Delete
  11. I read it so long ago I had to check GR for my rating. I liked it a bit more than you but many people on GR agree with you. I want to read her newest.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've said it before: I LOVE your reviews :P I don't think I have ever come across another person who can capture the essence of a book so succinctly! Lol. The "yawns" speak volumes :)) Perfect! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Psawh, you are too kind! Please be kind some more :D hihi, thank you!
      *takes a bow*

      Delete
  13. *yawn* - it's contagious, lol !!! I haven't read her yet, I must have one of her books on my tablet...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a big fan of Tessa Dare, but I haven't read this series of hers. Just the Spindle Cove books which are favorites and now the Castle Ever After series. I think I'll stick with those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I have actually not read the spindle one either...I do wonder. But at the same time I am scared cos I got disappointed

      Delete
  15. Ha! Funny review. I have a few of her books on my Kindle but have yet to read them.

    I think I have read one novella.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup build up is a necessary requirement in historical romance. This sounds too historical... Like caveman.

    "me man! Want you, woman!"
    "Me woman say okay!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was a pretty boring caveman too, too still, he just waited for her to fall, and I did not even feel it

      Delete
  17. I think I enjoyed the first book in this series but this novel I just couldn't get into. Dare's books are major hit-or-miss reads for me--I'm loving her latest series but a lot of her older Spindle Cove books and what-not aren't my favorites--so I think I'll be skipping out on this one. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read book 1 but was not wow. It was good, but nothing amazing.

      I really must try the castle book then

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP