Monday 4 May 2015

Last Kiss - Jessica Clare and Jen Frederick

Naomi: When I was kidnapped I thought only of survival. I don’t thrive well in chaos. That’s why I gave my captors exactly what they wanted: my skill with computers. Making millions for a crime lord who kept me imprisoned in his basement compound kept my family safe. When he was taken out, I thought my ticket to freedom had arrived. Wrong. I traded one keeper for another. This time I’m in the hands of a scarred, dark, demanding Russian who happens to be the head of the Bratva, a Russian crime organization. He wants my brain and my body. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t intrigued, but I can’t be a prisoner forever...no matter how good he makes me feel.

Vasily: At a young age, I was taught that a man without power is a puppet for all. I’ve clawed—and killed—my way to the top so that it is my heel on their necks. But to unify the fractured organization into an undefeatable machine, I need a technological genius to help me steal one particular artifact. That she is breathtaking, determined, and vulnerable is making her more dangerous than all of my enemies combined. But only I can keep her safe from the world that she now inhabits. Soon, I must choose between Naomi and Bratva law. But with every day that passes, this becomes a more impossible choice. 

My thoughts:
I do think this series is one of the few where the shifting POVS work for me. And with that I mean one chapter hers, then his, then hers etc. So a lot of shifting going on, and all that in first person.

Vasily was a sociopath. Truly. He kills without remorse, and well there are other things too. He is a killer for the Russian mafia and he wants to take over.

Naomi is an aspie, with lots of issues to that. Touching, food, germs, other people. She is a computer genius and her hacking has been used by a criminal organization, and then she gets kidnapped by Vasily.

So two people that do not like to be touched. Two people with different agendas (though she can easily follow his). And he slowly learns to understand her quirks.

Though I must say that some of the things she did, really? I would not do that. You sure got over some things fast, scientific experiments and all that, still, no. I get that it is supposed to be sexy and all that. But for her, I had difficulties with this one thing.

Moving on from that, this was one sexy book. They are such opposites, but at the same time they are so alike. 

There is constant danger from other criminals and I do hope he can bring change to his organization, cos they suck. Seriously euwww, down with the old icky guard, in with the new.

Conclusion:
Interesting

Cover
eh

Kindle Edition, 368 pages
Expected publication: May 5th 2015 by Berkley
Hitman #3
Romantic suspense
For review

42 comments:

  1. Hm. I'm definitely curious about this one! I like when characters have a lot of issues they need to wade through and figure out in the other person. Plus, sexy times for the win!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually prefer stories told from a single perspective. This sounds interesting, but not my thing, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I draw the line at two POvs, anything more than that and I check out. Which is why I haven't read JR Ward's latest BdB yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can deal with many povs, if they are in 3rd person...which they were not here

      Delete
  4. I think this was a freebie I dl'd on my Kindle.

    I like multiple pov's so this sounds good to me.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It comes out tomorrow ;) Maybe it was book 2, I got that one for free

      Delete
  5. I am one who loves stories told via dual perspectives. Sounds like this is a series I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think this is my genre, but I admit it does sound quite interesting!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only read the first book in the series and even though I enjoyed some aspects of it, I wasn't tempted to read the next. The premise of this is interesting though, I might just skip the other books and go right on this one, can it stand as a standalone? Awesome review! It's my first time on your blog and I'll definitely be visiting again :)

    Amir @ Not So Literary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked excellent as that. I had previously only read book 2 so I jumped at book 4 without a problem ;)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Oh this is an interesting pairing, isn't it? I think I could enjoy reading this one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Never read about a pair like this

      Delete
  9. I have trouble with dual POV's, but I'm glad to hear this worked. I'm definitely curious to see how they work through their issues. It doesn't sound like a match made in heaven on paper, but I'm glad to hear there are sexy times! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was tricky, but it worked. But then first person is tricky someimes

      Delete
  10. I was bummed to find out about one of the authors and who she really was. Put me off reading the series. I do love Clare though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I know about that. can't say I care

      Delete
  11. LOL! I hope there is change too b/c suckage and eww just don't go well in a criminal organization. :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. What are your thoughts on covers that have heads without bodies? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A tricky one. I do like heads, even if they miss bodies. Not a fav but better

      Delete
  13. Sounds like this could be a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. *waggles eyebrows* "Computer skills" is that what they are calling it nowadays???? lmao. Sorry I am super tired. Work killed me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor you. I have to work today, blergh, and nothing stays in me, stupid work

      Delete
  15. So is each book the same two POVs or does it change each book? Is the series really NA, or more adult?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think every book has the same outline. I read this novella and there it was POV Other POV etc.

      Seriosuly, I do not understand NA. If this was 5 years ago no one would have asked. All those guidelines for NA, not here. Fine, she was in college before she was kidnapped, that is it

      Delete
    2. I don't mind if the characters are in the college-post college age group. But if they are filled with stupid angst and the book is really geared for younger people, then I skip.

      Delete
    3. No angst. I mean who has time for angst when she has aspergers and he is a sociopath ;)

      Delete
  16. I love the alternating perspective and I think I'd like this one despite the eww factor lol

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's nice to see the change of POVs didn't bother you because I struggle with that as well. It's a new one to me but it sounds quite good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like povs, just first person povs, tricky

      Delete
  18. Interesting indeed! A psycho and an aspie? Kudos to the author for inventiveness... As for the things that haven't worked for you, maybe she hadn't done enough research? In any case, I'm adding this, I'm curious :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I know, talk about a mix ;)

      It was..oh how to say it without spoiling. I would not have done it, and I am not as afraid of germs as she was so...

      Delete
  19. Ooo a sociopath..nice. I love alternating povs..adding this series to my growing tbr pile

    ReplyDelete
  20. Although I like your review, I don't think this is a book for me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have heard great things about this series, but I just don't know. Maybe too sexy for me.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP