Monday 11 May 2015

The Autumn Republic - Brian McClellan

The capital has fallen...
Field Marshal Tamas returns to his beloved country to find that for the first time in history, the capital city of Adro lies in the hands of a foreign invader. His son is missing, his allies are indistinguishable from his foes, and reinforcements are several weeks away.

An army divided...
With the Kez still bearing down upon them and without clear leadership, the Adran army has turned against itself. Inspector Adamat is drawn into the very heart of this new mutiny with promises of finding his kidnapped son.

All hope rests with one...
And Taniel Two-shot, hunted by men he once thought his friends, must safeguard the only chance Adro has of getting through this war without being destroyed...

My thoughts:
I do find myself somewhat disappointed. Yes it was a good ending to the trilogy. But that is just that, it was a good ending. It was not a brilliant ending. I read this book in 3 days. 3 days! I read the last book in 1. For those who did not get that, I meant that it was not spellbinding. 

Tamas is one cool general, but here I found myself yawning a bit at the war scenes. Mostly cos it was behind the war scenes. A quick campaign or some pillaging would be better. Now it was waiting, waiting, a bit of fire, thinking, and somewhat dull.

Taniel is good. I wanted more of him :/ Also I definitely wanted more of Ka-poel, I am still all what is she? Yes sorceress but still!

We also got a new privileged, but Nila rose too fast and there were too many question marks. What so no one ever saw anything and suddenly she is all powerful? That was easy. She could just have tried that earlier, but I guess she never did. Close to Mary Sue territory. But now as one minor character she escaped that cos I was more interested in Bo..he was weird.

And then of course Adamat who totally could have his own tv-series. Now that would be a interesting fantasy mystery show.

It all came together in the end. Is the kingdom better this way? The Gods can only tell...I do expect an uprising in 20 years or so. 

Conclusion:
But of course yes I enjoyed it. It was almost 600 pages and I still read it fast even though I did not have a lot of reading time. It was interesting, this form of fantasy is fresh and I am sad to see it all end. 

Cover
cool

Hardcover, 580 pages
Published February 10th 2015 by Orbit
Powder Mage #3
Fantasy
Library

40 comments:

  1. It sounds like even though this one might have been a disappointment in the context of the series itself, it was still a winner compared to other fantasy books overall:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that my most eagrly anticipated endings often end up disappointing me the most, likely because I expect far too much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading a 600 page book in three days is nothing to sneeze at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, 3 full days! That's 3x as long as it took for book 1, though, so I understand. Just not quite good enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Though when I read book 1 I was on vacay so I read it all day...

      Delete
  5. The ending books are usually the worst book for me. Even in a good series. Still, this sounds like it was good enough even if you wished for better. Might have to check out this trilogy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to think about this *thinks about it* You have a point

      Delete
  6. The workday part of Monday is over at least... If this posts twice, sorry. Blogger commenting weirdness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holiday on Thursday so 2 worksdays, rest and workday

      Delete
  7. I'm liking that cover. That's awesome it was so long but went so quick for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha you are such a speed reader. I do not have the attention-span to read books so fast. I CAN do it, but its rare.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds like an investment! 600 pages?! Wow. Glad you loved it. Though I think no action will bore me as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is short compared to others books

      Delete
  10. I hate that when I have such high expectations for a series and it doesn't quite live up to them. I'm sorry for boring battles, those are usually the best parts! (When done right that is)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so short, like..battle..the end. What?

      Delete
  11. I hate it when the last book in a trilogy is just a bit disappointing, I like to finish on a high!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Totally agreed. It was a good book, but I found myself disappointed as well. Ending didn't quite live up to the rest of the series. Still a fantastic trilogy though.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome trilogy, I just wish this one would have been the best you know

      Delete
  13. I'm always so anxious about endings so even if it was good, sorry it wasn't more for you...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know how much you love this series, I'm sorry this one wasn't everything you were expecting it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I felt this way for the last Wheel of Time book

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate it when the series has been awesome and then the last book is bit of a disappointing...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just good...while that isn't bad..it isn't great either,

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sorry you were disappointed :\ But I guess you would recommend this overall? It looks pretty good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh no. I have to get through the second book too. I loved the first book, but to hear the ending is just good. Bummer. I do still want to read the books and I think there are a novella or two I need to get to as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read quite a few of the novellas, those are fun too :D

      And I mean, it is still good

      Delete
  20. Aw! I do hate when that happens (and I get the whole reading speed thing. When it's good, it's gone in a day!).

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP