Monday 1 June 2015

Fool's Assassin - Robin Hobb

Tom Badgerlock has been living peaceably in the manor house at Withywoods with his beloved wife Molly these many years, the estate a reward to his family for loyal service to the crown.

But behind the facade of respectable middle-age lies a turbulent and violent past. For Tom Badgerlock is actually FitzChivalry Farseer, bastard scion of the Farseer line, convicted user of Beast-magic, and assassin. A man who has risked much for his king and lost more…

On a shelf in his den sits a triptych carved in memory stone of a man, a wolf and a fool. Once, these three were inseparable friends: Fitz, Nighteyes and the Fool. But one is long dead, and one long-missing.

Then one Winterfest night a messenger arrives to seek out Fitz, but mysteriously disappears, leaving nothing but a blood-trail. What was the message? Who was the sender? And what has happened to the messenger?

Suddenly Fitz's violent old life erupts into the peace of his new world, and nothing and no one is safe. 

My thoughts:
I remember reading my first Fitz book back in the day *happy sigh*. It was wonderful, and sad. Later her books just got depressing. I sure hope that wont happen here :/

So Fitz is back, he is living at Whitywoods with Molly. It's a quiet life, he does not wanna go back to Buckkeep and all that. The book shows us his life, years go by. I love the daily life stories, that is what she is so good at. I do not need an army attacking, a dragon eating villages. I can just enjoy the simple life. The pretty prose. But yes of course things are brewing. They do want him back in some capacity. Something strange is happening, someone wants to get in contact with him. I guess book 2 will be more about that. The getting action part.

This book is getting to know Fitz again. I do love him, I feel so sorry for him. At one point I felt that sadness again, you know, the sadness over Nighteyes. There is another POV too, I really can't say anything about that, but the POV was clear, brilliant and strange, in a way I can't tell you. A great POV with questions that needs answering.

And the book ends with a cliffie. Noooo, you scream. Yes, sadly a cliffie. It will put book 2 in a different light. An angry light to be sure. No one messes with Fitz.

Conclusion:
Awww, I enjoyed this book. Today I read for 3 hours straight so that I could finish it. For a 600 page book it felt so light. I can't wait to read more.

And yes there are books before this series, so I would say read those first if you want the whole story.

Cover
ok

Hardcover, UK Edition, 630 pages
Published August 12th 2014 by Harper Voyager
The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy #1, Realms of the Elderlings #14
Fantasy
Library

47 comments:

  1. How is it already Monday again?! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love when a 600 page book flies by in no time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, glad to hear that you enjoyed this one and getting more Fitz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know her books are super long so you must really loved it to have it feel like a breeze. 3 hours straight, wow. I haven't even finished Farseer Trilogy, so it'll be a while til I get to her Fools books.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  5. High praise when you read for 3 hours straight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though it is best to go back, can one start with this book and enjoy as a "first in new series?"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way yes, sure you will miss things but yes..though I do say start with Fitz first

      Delete
  7. I really need to try her books. Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love books like this. I love to read it and 600 pgs later you are surprised that it was so large. So need to read her books. I think all of them are on my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meh for the cover. Sounds good though. I do love Hobb.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, I keep saying I want to read more fantasy books, but when I finally do read one, I would end up asking myself why I subject myself to torture. Lol.

    I suck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I guess I understand, I can't read thrillers

      Delete
  11. I keep hearing great things about this author, one day I'll have to try as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds fine but...somehow on Monday I am not so sure ;p. Neither on Tuesday for that matter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just read first three books in Realms of the Elderlings series. What a wonderful adventure they were. But also kinda sad. :( I really should get back to it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, sad :/ I still remember that sadness, sigh.

      Delete
  14. I've been on a fantasy binge for ages now and something this compelling really needs to be on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Woah, you read it pretty fast! I love when a great book keeps us so hooked. This sounds fab!

    Hafsah @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  16. Whoa, this is some serious praise, coming from you, Linda :) I think I should like to know this Fitz myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been curious about this series but never read it. I'm sorry to hear the story turns sad. I hate cliffhangers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so far behind in commenting. LOL work is kicking my arse.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds good! Haven't heard about the series before.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You know, I've never read a Hobb. Can I call myself a fantasy reader, since I haven't? I don't know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Hobb, you do not know what you are missing

      Delete
  21. Oh wow, you read fast! lol. Glad you enjoyed it. I should read some of these books too. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow this sounds like a cool series! Shame about the cliffie, but if you can read a 600 page book and it feels light like the pages are flying by, that really says something. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Everyone keeps recommending this author to me, and I really would love to read some of her novels. My sister even bought me a few by Hobb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a nice sister :D I hope you try one one day

      Delete
  24. I really need to read these! I was able to get an ARC of this one but realized I'd not read any of the past Hobb books. I need to move those up the list

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP