Tuesday 23 June 2015

The Golem and the Djinni - Helene Wecker

Chava is a golem, a creature made of clay, brought to life by a strange man who dabbles in dark Kabbalistic magic. Ahmad is a jinni, a being of fire, born in the ancient Syrian Desert. Trapped in an old copper flask by a Bedouin wizard centuries ago, he is released accidentally by a tinsmith in a Lower Manhattan shop.

Struggling to make their way in 1899 New York, the Golem and the Jinni try to fit in with their immigrant neighbors while masking their true selves. Meeting by chance, they become unlikely friends whose tenuous attachment challenges their opposing natures, until the night a terrifying incident drives them back into their separate worlds. But a powerful menace will soon bring the Golem and the Jinni together again, threatening their existence and forcing them to make a fateful choice.

My thoughts:
For me it felt like one of those more quiet books. It was a folktale told, it was sweet, sad and made you wonder.... 

A man goes to a rabbi and tells him to make him a wife. And the rabbi makes a Golem, the best one ever made. Then Chava is brought to New York.

"Ahmad" is a djinni, free and curious. Until the day a wizard captures him and he awakes a thousand years later in New York.

They are both lost, not human, and trying to find their way. To act as human as they can. To figure out what life really is. They will eventually meet and for a moment feel like they are not alone in the world.

I liked how the book was real, but at the same time, maybe there used to be Djinni, maybe there still are, but they have learned to be hidden. Maybe a rabbi of the old really could create a golem. So it works.

I already said it felt quiet, and it did. The pace was, ok not slow, but not fast. Stuff did not need to happen, we could just go with the flow, experience thing. It was the way this story had to be told and it worked splendidly that way.

Conclusion:
Interesting and beautifully told. 

Cover
eh

Paperback, 484 pages
Published April 2013 by Blue Door
Fiction
Library

47 comments:

  1. I bet my sister would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a beautiful book. One of the best magical realism novels I've ever read.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best, eh, I have read like 2 better, and some worse, lol

      Delete
  3. This sounds like such a unique story! And love that cover:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book so much. I need to read it again,.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adored this one Linda and happy to see you appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep meaning to read this one. I'll have to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Borrow it! :D I am sure they have it in right now

      Delete
  7. And bumping it up a bit on the wishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to telly u it was up but been busy all day

      Delete
  8. Boring cover of boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a copy of this and I still need to read it. I like that it is quiet and all that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh, at least you have it read then :D

      Delete
  10. I've been hearing such wonderful things about this book, I think it's time I give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure if this is for me...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love books where not much happens action wise, but somehow they're still compelling. I've owned a copy of this forever, I really need to read it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do read it :)
      I do love these books sometimes, it just works so well

      Delete
  13. Unique! Glad it was a winner. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooo that sounds interesting. I love the ones that make me question if it was possible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've heard a lot of good about that one when it was released :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never heard of this one, but I like the sound of it. I'm going to add it to my wishlist.

    ReplyDelete
  17. A different read but if I'm in the right mood, maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a really atmospheric read. I like unusual stories like this :) Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Swore I had a comment on here...maybe it is on the other one I posted. IDK I keep doing that! lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one sounds really good. To my TBR it goes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've got a review copy of this book and although I keep reading good reviews, it's still gathering dust. I really should give it a try this summer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor dusty book! I feel so sad for it now

      Delete
  22. I liked this book, and I think your description of it as being "quiet" makes a lot of sense. I didn't LOVE it, but I think that's just because I felt like it could have been much shorter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I have to agree with you there, aye it could have been shorter

      Delete
  23. Sounds like a beautiful read and I actually like the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whew! I am so happy you liked this book! I got in from the RedditGifts book exchange, so I felt obligated to read it. I really LOVED this one! Historical mixed with mythology and cultural aspects? It was just divine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so cool :D I was all COOL! Lol. I truly loved the mix

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP