Thursday 11 June 2015

The shadow throne - Django Wexler

The King of the Vordan is on his deathbed. Soon his daughter, Raesinia will be the first Queen Regnant in centuries—and a target for those who seek to control her. The most dangerous is Duke Orlanko, Minister of Information, and master of the secret police. He is the most feared man in the kingdom, and he knows an arcane secret that puts Raesinia completely at his mercy.

But Raesinia has found unlikely allies in the returning war hero Janus bet Vhalnich, and his loyal deputies, Captain Marcus d’Ivoire and Lieutenant Winter Ihernglass. As Marcus and Winter struggle to find their places in the home they never thought they would see again, they help Janus and Raesinia set in motion events that could shatter Orlanko’s powers, but perhaps at the price of throwing the nation into chaos. But with the people suffering under the Duke’s tyranny, they intend to protect the kingdom with every power they can command, earthly or otherwise. 

My thoughts:
Again I have to begin with; I was disappointed, it was good, just not as awesome as the first book. You all know that story, I went in all YAY, and then it was not YAY it was only yay, I got disappointed.

I think what made it this was that the last one was flintlock, and all war and campaign. This one took place in a city. Cities can work sometimes, but for me they seldom reach those awesome heights. Cities can just be so meh. What can you do there? Politics and intrigues. Which all are good things..yup good, only good.

Winter is sent undercover. Marcus gets a new job. And a new POV is the princess of the country. Rhae is trying to save herself and her country from the bad Duke.

I missed war, sigh. But it looks like the next book will be all war, yay.

Still, it was GOOD! I enjoyed it. There were intrigues, politics, bad people, bad priests, the whole magic thing hidden in darkness. Marcus who is really cool and Winter who is all Winter.

Conclusion:
I look forward to book 3 and hope it will be war war war, camp camp camp, back to its roots. 

Cover
Nice

Mass Market Paperback, 624 pages
Published June 2nd 2015 by Roc (first published July 1st 2014)
The Shadow Campaigns #2
Fantasy
Own

32 comments:

  1. it's a bit sad when it's not as good a s book 1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope book 3 gives you all the war you're looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked the first one slightly better too, but then again this sequel was a very different book focusing on revolution instead. The third book is supposedly going to be about military fantasy again, so I'm looking forward to that.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh back to military fantasy! I can not wait :D

      Delete
  4. Second book in series syndrome?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Middle book slump. Too bad. Hopefully the next boook will be stronger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rhaesinia? Really? What a strange name for a princess...oh wait, she is supposed to glue the whole country, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you made me google it cos I did not get it ;)

      Delete
  7. At least you haven't quit the series yet despite the YAY turning to NAY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. Sorry to hear it fell short of the first book. And this is the other book series I need to get to. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well I am glad it was good, but sorry it didn't wow you like book one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah. We sometimes burn ourselves with our expectations. Oh well. On to the next one?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry you were disappointed again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved the first book of this series. I still didn't read the Shadow Throne. I'm sad to hear there is not war since that was my favorite part. Those maneuvers were great. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my war... :)

      But yes, still give it a go and see

      Delete
  13. Ah, bummer - but it could be a worse bummer, so I hope the next will have plenty of war and camps !

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd like to know where you keep finding these insanely awesome series!!! Any chance you might email me a list of recommendations? I'm not joking :) Your choices are always surprising and SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks :D
      I try my best to find the good ones

      Delete
  15. Well bummer it wasn't as good. Hope the next one is better!

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha so funny...I just watched a movie with a character with that odd name "Django". Odd name.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP