Sunday 5 July 2015

Carole's Sunday review: If I stay - Gayle Forman



Author: Gayle Forman
Title: If I Stay (If I Stay #1)
Genre: Fiction, YA, & fantasy
Pages: ebook
First Published: 2009
Where I Got It: Borrowed from friend



Choices. Seventeen-year-old Mia is faced with some tough ones: Stay true to her first love—music—even if it means losing her boyfriend and leaving her family and friends behind?

Then one February morning Mia goes for a drive with her family, and in an instant, everything changes. Suddenly, all the choices are gone, except one. And it's the only one that matters.


THE FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELS! Ugh! Meh! 


Yes, this book made me feel....A LOT. I really felt bad for boyfriend, because he was just trying to play his video game and I kept spewing out emotions. Crying, anger, confusion, anguish, "awwwe" moments. and so forth. Once I was finished - yes, I finished in one sitting - I had to explain to him what was happening and why I felt the way I did. It was simply written, but man did it pack a punch.



I really connected with the story, because I had a stay in the hospital where no one could tell if I was going to make it, so yes, I kept putting myself in her shoes and I kept visualizing her friends and family as my friends and family. Gah, so the feels hurt even more when I was doing that. 



Especially with the grandpa's speech. He reminded me so much of my Grandpa Carol it hurt; we had a similar relationship, so it hurt even more. His speech made me sob like a baby, while I only had a tear for Adam's speech at the end. It was young love after all and I have my doubts about this couple. I think they could go the distance, if she stays, but they have a lot issues to work out. 



Speaking of which, I love the ending. The whole book you think Mia has the final decision. NOPE. She really doesn't and I am glad she didn't get to make the decision, because she was going to choose wrong and I was going to slap her. >__> However, the author made me happy. Ultimately, you do not get the choice to live or die; that is made FOR you. It was perfect and I loved it. Plus it was left open-ended in a way and that oddly pleased me. Normally these type of endings bug me, but I applaud of it was done and I felt it was appropriate for this story. 



I was not a fan of Adam. Nope. Can't tell you why, but nope.



I loved her family though! Why did they have to die? They were kickass parents and UGH!!!! I do love how they got to have their spotlight and it wasn't all about the love between Mia and Adam. Thank goodness. They were awesome characters. Sad they had to go though. :/



In the end, I really adored this book. It has been the first book in a looooooooooooooooooooooooong time to actually make me physically cry and feel such emotions and I finished it in one sitting. Good book. I am excited to see the movie even though I worry they are mainly going to focus on Adam and Mia, which will bum me out. This had a nice balance of flashbacks and current moments. They better have the grandpa's speech in that movie darnit! I highly recommend this for those that want a quick read that will tear your heart out, but make you think. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 5 stars. 






10 comments:

  1. The grandpa's speech was really beautiful and heartbreaking. ALL THE FEELS! I loved this book, too! Made me cry and swoon. :) Have you watched the movie adaptation? It's really good, too! :)

    Julie @ Books and Insomnia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love books that make me feel like that. This sounds like a winner for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this. I've gotten away from YA over the last couple of years so I've avoided some books that I'd really enjoy. And I loved the movie adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY I loved this one too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, it is on my TBR list so thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, this was a tour of force. Loved it completely. Really good review :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! I just finished reading this one yesterday and I was such a blubbering mess.. Everyone said have tissues handy and they were so right!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Linda..if you loved it I know I will...I have yet to read it despite my girls hounding me

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP