Thursday 23 July 2015

Radiance - Grace Draven

Brishen Khaskem, prince of the Kai, has lived content as the nonessential spare heir to a throne secured many times over. A trade and political alliance between the human kingdom of Gaur and the Kai kingdom of Bast-Haradis requires that he marry a Gauri woman to seal the treaty. Always a dutiful son, Brishen agrees to the marriage and discovers his bride is as ugly as he expected and more beautiful than he could have imagined. 

Ildiko, niece of the Gauri king, has always known her only worth to the royal family lay in a strategic marriage. Resigned to her fate, she is horrified to learn that her intended groom isn’t just a foreign aristocrat but the younger prince of a people neither familiar nor human. Bound to her new husband, Ildiko will leave behind all she’s known to embrace a man shrouded in darkness but with a soul forged by light. 

Two people brought together by the trappings of duty and politics will discover they are destined for each other, even as the powers of a hostile kingdom scheme to tear them apart. 

My thoughts:
I liked the humour in this one. The things they said to each other made me snort.

He thought she looked like a boiled mollusk. Her smile reminded him of a horse. Her eyes freaked him out. She said she would have clobbered him if she met him in the night. His smile was the stuff of nightmares and he looked like a dead eel. LOL.

Now you go all whaat? But trust me it was funny! You see they came from different races. So to him she was a pink ugly thing. And to her he was a grey monster. But they talked even if they found each other hideous. They tried not to smile too much (cos that was scary). They liked how the other person was on the inside. You have to love that. They found each other's company soothing. They had their nicknames for each other in good spirit. And they fitted so well together, they just had to get past the ugly exterior first.

Two countries. A prince from one, a niece of a king from each other. Marry. Try to like each other. Two cultures that are different in every way, and the food stuff again made me snort. They have a long way to go and it was hardest on Ildiko because she is the one that has to live in this new country where that race are up at nights cos the sun hurts their eyes. I liked her spirit, and I loved his acceptance.

But there are dangers too. Everyone is not happy with this alliance. And in the shadows there is a bigger threat. One that made me go all noooo! at the end. The next book will be brutal on my poor feelings. I just know it! My poor feelings!

Conclusion:
It does end well, but yes that evilness on the horizon. I do wonder how it all will play out. I'd recommend it to romance and fantasy fans. It's so amusing

Cover
ok

Kindle Edition, 297 pages
Published January 13th 2015 by Grace Draven
Wraith Kings #1
Fantasy romance
Own

41 comments:

  1. Is it really hot romance? I think I read one of her books a long time ago, Master of Crows. That was a pretty good, light on plot but great for romance readers.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not say hot. They start it slow since they find each other repulsive.
      And yes it's fantasy romance, so light world and such

      Delete
  2. Not gonna lie, these two don't sound like attractive people at all. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, to us she would have been beautiful, and to his people he would be handsome

      Delete
  3. The humor in this fantasy world sounds nice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heehee, boiled mollusk. So, not exactly lust at first sight?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, would you love a grey wolf alien thing

      Delete
  5. Awww this does sound funny! The cover art is really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Radiance was already on my radar since one friend praised romance aspect. But your highlight of humor got me really intrigued. I like it. And I am craving romance fantasy lately. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like an ideal read, not sure one I'd like to read through though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone, you gotta like romance

      Delete
  8. Oh this sounds hilarious..I love haters to lovers

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool. The cover would have been a turn off, but after reading your review, it's a maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friday, almost Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds awesome! I love that they not only didn't find each other physically attractive, they had such hilarious ways of saying it. :) You don't often see that setup. Gotta check this one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so awesome :D And even if they find each other hideous they start to like each other

      Delete
  12. "He thought she looked like a boiled mollusk. Her smile reminded him of a horse. Her eyes freaked him out. " LMAO say no more!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sounds nice to see how they manage that

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like books with a good sense of humour - will read that one if I can find it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This one sounds perfect for my current mood. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, yes, I like the sound of this so much! The humor always works for me (more than the tear-drawing sagas...) I remember reading Swoon by Nina Malkin about 5 years ago, and it was the first time when I came across a voice that was so clever-funny it made my toes curl. Since then, I loved the comedy of language. Let the laughs roll on, lol :) Have a good weekend, Linda <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I a not a fan of the tear ones. But this, fun :D She just made them banter in such an easy way. Such lovely humour

      Delete
  17. Haters to lovers..I usually enjoy this trope

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They never hated each other, so not really that trope

      Delete
  18. One word: POTATOES! It made me snort that Brishen wanted to puke after eating one :-) he really hated it! Lol glad you enjoyed it, I love all draven reads. I think you'd enjoy Entreat Me more than Master of Crows. They have killer banter in that book similar to Ta!ing of the Shrew :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. I know that was hilarious. And I would TOTALLY have run screaming when they brought the pie

      Hmmm, maybe one then

      Delete
  19. It certainly DOES sound amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This one looks familiar. I don't know why though. But it sounds like a fun read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP