Wednesday 5 August 2015

A better man - Leah McLaren

Maya wants Nick to be less of a workaholic, to come home earlier, to spend some time with his children. Nick wants a divorce. With his mind made up, Nick is determined to leave quickly and with dignity, but it comes as an unpleasant shock to realise how much it will cost him to walk away. As a stay-at-home mum, Maya is entitled to everything. Nick is resolute, so when an unlikely solution presents itself he gives it everything he's got. If Nick becomes a better husband and father, if he encourages his wife to rediscover herself, the more self-sufficient Maya will become: and the cheaper Nick's pay-out. But as Nick pretends to be a better man he becomes one. He remembers his connection with Maya, their ability to be a couple and not just parents who share a house. Everything seems to be back on track. Until Maya finds out exactly what Nick has been planning...

My thoughts:
Men can be such fools. And this is the story of one.

Nick is married and bored. He wants to flirt and have affairs. But who knew divorces were that expensive! Especially since his wife are home with the twins. So for selfish reasons he plans to be a better man, so he does not have to give her so much.

Maya who thinks he works too much (he does). Who thinks he should play with the kids more (that he should). Who thinks they should go to therapy, or something to make things like before. I will give that she spends too much thinking about what the kids should be better at, and worrying about the food they eat. Or cleaning too much. But she at least wants things to work. Oh, and she should let things go. Let it go! Relax.

I saw them at their worst, and their best, even if it was all a big lie. But then the things you thought you did not want, might just be what you have been looking for. I liked that, they became a better family.

Conclusion:
It was a nice journey, and I was not even sure how I wanted it to end. All choices could be good in the end. A good book. A real book.

Cover
meh

Paperback, 300 pages
Expected publication: August 6th 2015 by Atlantic Books
Fiction
For review

33 comments:

  1. You've sold me - this sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like any other books, this sounds like it's going to drive me to drink. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow - this sounds pretty realistic. I think I'm going to read this one.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well now you have e curious. Glad you enjoyed it Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great to hear it was a good journey and a good book

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um... I think I would have too many problems with Nick. Not sure this one would be for me. Brilly review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way I did understand Nick ,still it was wrong

      Delete
  7. At least he didn't cheat out of boredom!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Boring cover of boringness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a cheery read!
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book sounds like its got promise of a good read. I like books where as a reader I'd be happy which ever way it ended.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick sounds like an unlikable guy and yet I'm intrigued by the premise of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason I never really disliked him

      Delete
  12. This sounds like something I could enjoy. I'm going to check to see if there is audiobook.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It sure sounds good, Linda. I'll have to find time for it, since it comes so highly recommended :) I tend to like the unlikables, lol...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ugh boys are dumb.
    But this sounds pretty good even tho I would want to punch him!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like how you saw them at their best and their worst!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP