Sunday 16 August 2015

Carole's Sunday Review: Whispers from the east - Amie Ali


Author: Amie Ali
Title: Whispers from the East
Genre: Historical Fiction & Drama
Pages: ebook
First Published: June 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (From author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)


Ammi, a pregnant 24-year-old, flees New Delhi with millions of Muslim migrants in the early hours of the 1947 Partition of India, clawing her way through a controversial caste system and into the heart of Lahori society.



A family broken by betrayal.

Two of Ammi's beloved sons immigrate to the United States and secretly marry dazzling, contemporary American brides. One bride converts to Islam. The other commits apostasy, the sin of all sins.


Three women who stand to lose everything.

The collision of two belief systems—two worlds—come to a head as Ammi, Carolyn, and Ivy fight to keep their own marriages, families, and futures secure.



Where to begin? 



First, this was an addicting book. I could hardly put it down. It was a quick read, but it was also a good read. I wish that Ammi's POV was longer, because I really liked her a lot. I loved how it began with the past and her being a young mother. It was nice to get to know her then before all the drama of her two sons began. 



Now, Carolyn needed a slap in the face. She was a snot from the moment she moved in with Nazar. I just don't understand. I feel the majority of the issues came from her. He added his share, but the majority of it was on her. Especially near the end. There is a thing called therapy....maybe suggest that instead....Granted Nazar should have communicated better and not try to shove things under the rug and "let it be". No. You need to just be honest. I just don't get her at all and she was a snot the entire time. She honestly needed to think before she spoke. 



I liked Ivy and Lut. They were cute and I'm glad their drama wasn't marriage shattering. 



Ooooooooooooooh the ending. Not happy with it. There needs to be a sequel. I am very distressed and not happy. If there is a sequel then I will be content, but it simply can't END THIS WAY! NOOOOOOO! CAROLYN!!! UGH! It was written good and as I writer I applaud, but as a reader I shake my fist! haha. Poor Nazar! So horribly sad. 



All-in-all, this was a good read. It was quick, but written well and certainly entertaining. I loved the blend of POVs, it was done well. I'm glad there was at least one HEA so far. I am not happy with the ending if there is no sequel to come. At least give me a short story! I don't care about Carolyn, but I do want Nazar to have his HEA. He was a nice guy who did SO much for Carolyn. So sad, so sad. I highly recommend this to those that like a little drama in there life. It was an interesting story and it gave me more understanding about Muslims and their religion. Out of 5 stars, I stamp this with 4.

























8 comments:

  1. It does sound addicting and exotic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds really good and I love the cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how addicting it was..you have me curious about the ending now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. Love your reaction to the ending. You really were into this one. :D Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I recently just came across a book that incited the same feeling with me. You might've read it already. This little thing called, The Bronze Horseman. I swear, it had crack between its pages. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so amazing, and I didn't know anything about it. Addictive stories go especially well with my addictive personality, so this one is definitely for me :) Great review, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love books that expose me to different events in history. If nothing else, it gives me something new to look up on the internet, ex: 1947 Partition of India.

    Since I grew up in Lily White Small Town Christian Plague USA, I'm often playing catch up on the history of other countries.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP