Friday 21 August 2015

The Bone Palace and Kingdoms of Dust - Amanda Downum

Death is no stranger in the city of Erisín-- but some deaths attract more attention than others.

When a prostitute dies carrying a royal signet, Isyllt Iskaldur, necromancer and agent of the Crown, is called to investigate. Her search leads to desecrated tombs below the palace, and the lightless vaults of the vampiric vrykoloi deep beneath the city. But worse things than vampires are plotting in Erisín...

As a sorcerous plague sweeps the city and demons stalk the streets, Isyllt must decide who she's prepared to betray, before the city built on bones falls into blood and fire. 

My thoughts:
Book 1 was meh, I would not have read more if I hadn't had book 2 (and 3). And good thing cos book 2 was nothing like book 1. Book 1 was all confusing, characters getting thrown in, not knowing who was talking ,while here everything fell into place.

I guess first that I should applaud that she had females in male parts, captain of the guard, royal investigator. A woman born into the body of a man and treated as a woman. Eh whatever. I know I am supposed to be all, good! And it is good!! But I care about the story, you can do a thousand fun things if you want but it the story is no good then I do not care. Of course here the story was good. So for those who wants the whole revolution then read this.

Ok back to the story. Issylt is investigating the death of a prostitute. We get to see vampires, more ghosts and a conspiracy. I did not care for cent for her in book 1, here I cared, and wanted her to make it.

The other big Pov is that of the androgynous X (I forget the name and is to lazy to check, Sevadra..Vedra? She is the official mistress the the prince. He would totally marry her too, but you know, she can not bear children. Her reproductive organs are all male. Anyway, she likes his wife (aye she was cool). And Vedra does some investigating of her own when lives are threaten.

Conclusion:
Such a different book than book 1. Good characters, an interesting story. An interesting town. I look forward to book 3 all the sudden.

Cover
nice

Paperback, 469 pages
Published December 1st 2010 by Orbit
The Necromancer Chronicles #2
Fantasy
own

With her master dead and her oaths foresworn, necromancer and spy Isyllt Iskaldur finds herself in exile. Hounded by assassins, she seeks asylum in Assar, the empire she so recently worked to undermine.

Warlords threaten the empire's fragile peace, and the empress is beset by enemies within the court. Even worse, darkness stirs in the deep desert. Ancient spirits long held captive are waking - spirits that can destroy Assar faster than any army.

Accompanied by an outcast jinn, Isyllt must travel into the heart of the desert to lay the darkness there to rest once more. But her sympathies are torn between the captive spirits and the order of mages sworn to bind them. And whichever choice she makes could raze the empire to dust. 

My thoughts:
Book 3 and the last one. Quite a shame really. Because yes there was en ending, life goes on. But there was no Ending. Instead it was left that there can be more adventures. 

In this book Isyllt is in exile. Someone is trying to kill her, and she meets up with old friends. There is also a new adventure. Something old and dark is trying to get loose. Ohhh I liked that part. The more explanations I got the more I liked it. I also liked that we got to know more about this world. It seems that everyone used to live in peace. Jinni, humans, ghouls. So cool. I would love to know even more! So there could totally be another book.

Conclusion:
There are dangers, friendship, and all in all an easy good read.

Cover
Good

Paperback, 371 pages
Published March 1st 2012 by Orbit
The Necromancer Chronicles #3
Fantasy
Own

29 comments:

  1. Sounds like a really interesting world!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting better then, you were right to insist ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I really don't like when I don't have a ending...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it has an ending. But it does not feel like the end

      Delete
  4. Huh/ This sounds way too confusing for me! lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds really good, thanks for sharing! Though I'm not sure I like that there is no proper ending >.<

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe her name is Caitlyn? :P

    I like X and it's good that the MC's character is better developed now than in the first book

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE the covers of both of these. Will have to keep that in mind about the first book, but YaY for the other books. It sounds like some UF I encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to hear it was an easy read but sorry that you are having to say goodbye

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm feeling the same way about the current book I'm reading - with your experience with the first book, that is. I suppose it was expected, considering the author is attempting to set up the foundation for the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But she failed. I would not have read more if I had not had more

      Delete
  10. You have inspired me to try the second book of a certain series that I tried the first one and it was meeeeeeeeeh

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is why I always wait till book 2 or 3 to decide whether I will continue reading a series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would stop at 2 I think, if I am not happy by then...

      Delete
  12. How awesome it is when you get a surprise like that? I guess it's kind of like a loyalty reward, lol :) if even after a week book 1, you keep coming back, good things will happen :D Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I had book 2 cos would never have bought it after book 1

      Delete
  13. hmm, I guess I'll pass this one...

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Bone Palace sounds like there is alot going on. Very different sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know. Sounds interesting- I'll have to see if the library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Only three books total... that is doable. Do you have to read the not-as-good first book to know what's going on?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, in a way yes, in another way not. Hard to say

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP