Sunday 6 September 2015

Carole's Sunday Review: The Lure of the Moonflower - Lauren Willig


Author: Lauren Willig
Title: The Lure of the Moonflower (Pink Carnation Series #12)
Genre: Historical Fiction, Romance, Mystery, & Action/Adventure
Pages: 528
First Published: August 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Amazon)


Jack Reid, the British agent known as the Moonflower (formerly the French agent known as the Moonflower), has been stationed in Portugal and is awaiting his new contact. He does not expect to be paired with a woman—especially not the legendary Pink Carnation.


All of Portugal believes that the royal family departed for Brazil just before the French troops marched into Lisbon. Only the English government knows that mad seventy-three-year-old Queen Maria was spirited away by a group of loyalists determined to rally a resistance. But as the French garrison scours the countryside, it’s only a matter of time before she’s found and taken.

It’s up to Jane to find her first and ensure her safety. But she has no knowledge of Portugal or the language. Though she is loath to admit it, she needs the Moonflower. Operating alone has taught her to respect her own limitations. But she knows better than to show weakness around the Moonflower—an agent with a reputation for brilliance, a tendency toward insubordination, and a history of going rogue.

Well...this is the end of a wonderful series. It was a long series, so I cannot complain because everything must come to end eventually. There is nothing worse then a series that drags on and on and on. Leave it on a good note and Lauren Willig certainly did. This was an excellent book to end the series on. However, I am still sad! I want more! :(




This is Jane's story. She has been the woman behind the scenes making all the other books even possible. I love Jane and I am glad we got to see behind the mask. She is a hero, but she still is human. She carried the torch of the Pink Carnation spy-ring. If anyone deserved a HEA this lady certainly did. She has done so much for every character and for England. I am so MAD at her parents. >_> They need a kick in the romp for what they did to her.



Oooooh Jack...you rogue you *swoons*. 



I am glad he got an HEA as well. Even though he was a turncoat - you can hardly blame him. Why fight for a country that looks down on you and calls you scum because you are of mixed race? However, Jane did make a good point. She fights for a country that looks down on her for being a woman, but she still loves England and has hope that things will get better. Touche Jane! 



Honesty time....I got about halfway and set the book down and walked away. I didn't pick it back up for a couple of days....why? BECAUSE I DON'T WANT THIS WORLD TO GO AWAY! I love all the characters and I want more. Its so extremely sad.





And yes...I will even miss Eloise and Collin storyline. I still do not like Collin, but he did earn a brownie point for making a Doctor Who reference and that made me happy. I have never been a huge fan of the contemporary storyline, but I will even miss that. 



The ending...was fantastic. A perfect way to end everything in both the past and the contemporary storyline. Eloise and Collin finally met in the middle and are happy. Jane is no longer alone and can have her cake and eat it too. Perfect, but I did tear up. Pathetic, I know. My emotions though get the best of me sometimes.



In the end, the last book of the series was good. It had a perfect ending and it made me happy. Personally, I would like more. However, ending with the founder of the Pink Carnation spy-ring is perfect. She certainly did deserve so much. Jack *swoons* was made for her. I am glad Jack has found something to fight for. I highly recommend this series to those that like some espionage mixed with romance. Even the contemporary storyline has its moments. I am so proud of where the series went and how every book enchanted me. Along with this series and other books, Lauren Willig has certainly enchanted me as well, I adore her writing style and I am excited to see what she has in store for us. Well....I think I shall stamp this book with 5 stars. 



















12 comments:

  1. Yeah for a solid ending to a series. I am glad you weren't disappointed>

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read one of these and it was good. Glad you enjoyed these, great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12 books in a series and you still clamouring for more? Evidence of a good series, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you gave it a 5! I hope the author comes up with a new series that's as good as this :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smiling at your love for this series, only recently heard of this author so a treat in store for me at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aww it is hard when a good series ends and you have to say good-bye to the characters. I rarely read HR, but I recently read one that has me craving for more. So I'll look into this series.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great that you were able to discover more aout Jane like that. It's also great to have a great last book like that! I want to try the series now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Twelve installments and all of them good? That's so rare and wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goodness, what a feat for a series to keep going as strongly for so long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read one book from the middle of the series and knew I wanted to read them all. It is sad to say good-bye to a loved series.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP