Sunday 27 September 2015

Joint Discussion: Sense and Sensibility by Joanna Trollope





This month Carole and I will be reading "Sense & Sensibility" by Joanna Trollope.


Author: Joanna Trollope
Title: Sense and Sensibility (Jane Austen Project)
Genre: Fiction, Romance, Contemporary set, & Retellings
Pages: 362
First Published: Jan 2013
Where I Got It: Borrowed from library


John Dashwood promised his dying father that he would take care of his half sisters. But his wife, Fanny, has no desire to share their newly inherited estate with Belle Dashwood's daughters. When she descends upon Norland Park with her Romanian nanny and her mood boards, the three Dashwood girls-Elinor, Marianne, and Margaret-are suddenly faced with the cruelties of life without their father, their home, or their money.



As they come to terms with life without the status of their country house, the protection of the family name, or the comfort of an inheritance, Elinor and Marianne are confronted by the cold hard reality of a world where people's attitudes can change as drastically as their circumstances.



With her sparkling wit, Joanna Trollope casts a clever, satirical eye on the tales of Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Reimagining Sense and Sensibility in a fresh, modern new light, she spins the novel's romance, bonnets, and betrothals into a wonderfully witty coming-of-age story about the stuff that really makes the world go around. For when it comes to money, some things never change. . . .




B: I do like Jane Austen fiction, and I have read quite a few *coughs A LOT* so of course I had to try to get one in ;) let’s start.

C: I do love some Jane Austen fiction myself! I especially love “what if” versions. SO. What did you think of this one?

B: Trollope can write, I will give her credit for that. It was a modern version of Sense and Sensibility, BUT, I wish some things could have been changed. Now it was just what it was, a modern version of a version we already know.

C: Yes, it certainly was a modern twist on the classic. Sadly, S&S was my least favorite of the Austen novels. So, yes, I enjoyed the ride, but it was a meh for me ultimately.

B: True, it has never been a favorite of mine either. Maybe that is why I wanted things to change. You know, spice things up. What I would do first is to have Brandon and Eleanor end up together. I have never understood him and Marianne. Ok he had the hots for her cos she was young and pretty, but she just gave up. What do you think?

C: Oooh! I completely agree! I always root for that couple! They make more sense and it would be a great relationship. I can see it ending badly for Marianne and Brandon. Even if it was modern. Honestly, I always think of them of the couple from that movie with Kate Winslet and Jim Carrey (Eternal Sunshine). They had a great month and great sex, but it ends up in flames, because SHE gets bored. Silly girl even in the modern version. smh.

B: I can see that. She will get bored, and she has an affair with Willoughby again, cos she still want him, and he still wants her. Brandon gets depressed and they all die. See, Brandon and Eleanor needs to be a couple! Marianne is young, she could find someone. And Ferrars is an idiot who can make his mind up, he could find someone else too. I never saw the love between E and him either. OH, and I wanted their mum to find someone too ;)

C: The mom was a silly woman too, but yes, I wanted her to end up with someone. Maybe Ferrars? hehehe But yes...poor Brandon. :/ Speaking of Eleanor, what did you think of the occupation the author gave her? I did not think it fit her and it seemed so unsensible! xI

B: I on the other hand thought it was a sensible choice. She likes it to be clean so she draws clean lines. Eh, it fits. I did not mind. Though I never loved her. I liked her, but none of the characters made me love them

C: I would have made her a lawyer or office girl or something organized and clean. I like Eleanor, but I didn’t connect with her (like I did in the original) or with anyone for that matter. Part of the reason it was a meh for me.

B: I did find it to be good. Even if I wished she had taken chances with the story. I do want to read more of the variations, but I guess they are all like this. No one changes anything.

C: It was a fun ride and it was to revisit the characters in a different, modern light. Yes, she should have taken some chances. I am curious to check out the others. Maybe I’ll like the other ones. Has she written the “Persuasion” one yet? It’s my favorite of the Austen’s.

B: They are all done by different authors, and there is Emma, Northanger Abbey already done and Pride in the works.

C: Hmmm, maybe we can do another one someday? haha. Maybe save Emma for last (I wasn’t a huge fan of that one).

B: Emma, well that works in the “olden days” ;) but a modern bossy Emma. Yikes, she would be somewhat of a bitch wouldn’t she?

C: That is why I am scared to check that one out! hahahaha. *shudders* But did you have anything else to add?

B: Hmm, no. I enjoyed it, I wish she had taken chances. That is all. I still want to check the other famous authors doing variations. But my heart belongs to Pride and P variations set when they should be set :)

C: Agreed. It’ll be cool to check out the others. You know what...I’ve never read a “Persuasion” variation! o_o I wonder if there are any out there!? I haven’t even thought about looking.

B: I do want to read one too! Everyone is so PP focused, but it would be cool

C: Maybe I’ll hunt one down for the future ;)

B: Yes :) And remember to pick a book now

C: Will do! The end?

B: The end.




15 comments:

  1. haha this was fun, I'll give the book a miss but hope you find a Persuasion variation :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your discussion was a hoot. I have always felt that Elinor paired better with Colonel Brandon, too.
    I love sequels, variations, and modern retellings. And yes, ladies there are a few Persuasion moderns out there. :) Misty Dawn Pulsipher's Persuaded, Rosie Rushton's Echoes of Love, Persuading Annie by Melissa Nathan, Persuade Me by Juliet Archer, and Find Wonder in All Things by Karen Cox are all ones that are on my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! They would be such a good couple.

      Oh..moderns, I am not a fan of moderns

      Delete
  3. I haven't read S&S, I didn't even know about it but I'm trying to keep track with the Austen book. Just finished Persuasion! Sorry some things didn't change there even if you wanted that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't remember which JA book I read, but I do remember my brother's dog ate it. Then I had to tell my school library that the dog ate the book. lol. Loved the chat. This sounds like an interesting retelling.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Mansfield Park myself :) Great chat as always. Sounds like I need to check out Joanna Trollope too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so not a fan of Jane Austen, her books are just okay, so I Think this is a miss for me, but I enjoyed reading your conversations on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a bit ---dry...blasphemy! But true

      Delete
  7. I didn't like Edward in this version at all. he's my favorite in the Austen version. I didn't care for this retelling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is better in the Austen one, I do agree

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP