Wednesday 30 September 2015

Me and Mr Darcy - Alexandra Potter

After a string of disastrous dates, Emily Albright decides she’s had it with modern-day love and would much rather curl up with Pride and Prejudice and spend her time with Mr. Darcy, the dashing, honorable, and passionate hero of Jane Austen’s classic. So when her best friend suggests a wild week of margaritas and men in Mexico with the girls, Emily abruptly flees to England on a guided tour of Jane Austen country instead. Far from inspiring romance, the company aboard the bus consists of a gaggle of little old ladies and one single man, Spike Hargreaves, a foul-tempered journalist writing an article on why the fictional Mr. Darcy has earned the title of Man Most Women Would Love to Date.

The last thing Emily expects to find on her excursion is a broodingly handsome man striding across a field, his damp shirt clinging to his chest. But that’s exactly what happens when she comes face-to-face with none other than Mr. Darcy himself. Suddenly, every woman’s fantasy becomes one woman’s reality. . . . 

My thoughts:
I am torn. It was good at times, but at other times it was only ok. Hmmm. Maybe I will go with ok. It's not like I would recommend it after all.

Emily loves the classics, and Austen. She goes on a Tour. Suddenly the book gets all paranormal cos there are timeslips and she sees Mr Darcy. I could so not see him fall for her, nope. Not like she acted. But oh well. If he had been called something else, if his friends had been called something else. Then it would have worked better for me. Now I am all, really? Austen used the real names of people she had met or something? She would not have done that.

Right. She befriends the other women in the tour, some have problems. There is this irritating man (that is still cute).

Conclusion:
So it was ok, bordering on good. But the time slips kind of ruined it for me.

Cover
I actually like it, but it has nothing to do with the book

Paperback, 368 pages
Published June 12th 2007 by Ballantine Books
Romantic fiction
Own

38 comments:

  1. Aw, too bad because it sounds like a good premise.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the premise of this one even if it wasn't a huge winner overall for you. Who wouldn't want to come face to face with Mr. Darcy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love that :D I just could not believe it, Austen would not have written about him like that

      Delete
  3. ouch... oh well then.. sounds like it had potential.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope not for me, time skips and another P&P retelling. I think I will pass.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really a re-telling, she just stumbled upon him

      Delete
  5. Hm... a P&P variation that is just lukewarm for you? I may pass on this one. No probs since you have me wanting so many others. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sad you weren't thrilled with this. It looks and sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this a while back, but I remember wishing it just stuck to the modern part of the story and left Darcy out of it. It was ok for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Time skips are no good :( And the cover not matching even more :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I actually liked this one a lot. But then I'm no Darcy fan, so didn't mind how he was portrayed here. *ducks before things get thrown*

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually liked this one a lot. But then I'm no Darcy fan, so didn't mind how he was portrayed here. *ducks before things get thrown*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not mind how he was portrayed, it was more that he was Mr Darcy. Another name and I would have been game

      Delete
  11. Sounds like a good dream that she had! I'll pass!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You sound dubious... Yeah, I don't like interruptions like that either. Just read The Princess Bride and couldn't get into it for that very reason - the story jumping between actual plot and author's commentary. Off-putting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never read it, I have only watched the movie, but yes I can imagine

      Delete
  13. Oh boo. I don't care for mediocre books nowadays. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. drats cause I really like the cover :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This was one of the first JAFF books I ever read and thought it was enjoyable enough, just not fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read so many before this that now it's only meh

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP