Wednesday 16 September 2015

The Diver's clothes lie empty - Vendela Vida

In Vendela Vida’s taut and mesmerizing novel of ideas, a woman travels to Casablanca, Morocco, on mysterious business. Almost immediately, while checking into her hotel, she is robbed, her passport and all identification stolen. The crime is investigated by the police, but the woman feels there is a strange complicity between the hotel staff and the authorities—she knows she’ll never see her possessions again.

Stripped of her identity, she feels both burdened by the crime and liberated by her sudden freedom to be anyone at all. Then, a chance encounter with a film crew provides an intriguing opportunity: A producer sizes her up and asks, would she be willing to be the body-double for a movie star filming in the city? And so begins a strange journey in which she’ll become a stand-in—both on-set and off—for a reclusive celebrity who can no longer circulate freely in society while gradually moving further away from the person she was when she arrived in Morocco.

My thoughts:
You go into this book thinking you know what will happen. But you are wrong, and realize that you do not know anything. You do not even know who is speaking, or if you are you.

Ok so the whole point with that was to show how the book is written in 2nd POV. At first I was a bit what? I can't even remember the last thing I read anything in 2nd POV. But in the end it did help with the dilemma the main character is facing.

The main character, who has no name, since we are on the outside and in her head. She comes to Casablanca, her things gets stolen. She takes on another persona. She gets a job all the sudden. She wonders about her stolen persona. She is lying to everyone. And then we found out that she is also lying to herself. Little by little the pieces fall aside and we learn about her. That is when I really started to feel sorry for her.

The book feels intense even though it's short and not intense. It might feels so cos we are stuck in her head. You feel what you feel.

The end was rather sudden, I did want more. But I wish her the best.

Conclusion:
Enjoyable. 

Cover
eh

Paperback, 224 pages
Expected publication: September 17th 2015 by Atlantic Books
Fiction
for review

33 comments:

  1. Oh I like the twist of a mystery narrator

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like an interesting and original book :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't remember the last thing I've read in 2nd person POV either. It always takes me a little while to adjust to 2nd person, but I'm glad you enjoyed it for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure took time, and I still can't remember the last time

      Delete
  4. Wild. The whole 2nd person POV has me intrigued. Normally I hate when someone talks like that, but if the story is captivating, it could work. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It threw me off at first, but then I learned to go with it

      Delete
  5. The cover does not grab me at all, to be honest. But the description sounds interesting though. Casablanca, Morocco is always a setting that intrigues me ;-)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hm... not sure if this one is for me. I don't know if I'd get into it quickly but that ending is what kills it for me. I hate abrupt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those the reader can decide endings, but I do not want to

      Delete
  7. I coworker of mine lost her passport when she out and about in another country. Luckily she found it!
    But this sounds interesting. A maybe for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it sounds really different from what we usually find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, this sounds like a book for me. I've read a couple books written this way and loved them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't remember the last time I read anything in the 2nd person POV. Sounds like it could be interesting and very different.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I felt anxious just reading your review! Because of that and it's short I'd probably read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read second person POV. Need to remedy that just to see what its like. Interesting premise, here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok you have me very curious..I want to know what happens

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahhh I read one in 2nd person present pov a while back (or attempted to read it) so made my brain hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds experimental and well done. I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds interesting. I don't know when I've read something in the 2nd person last.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP