Wednesday 28 October 2015

An Ancient Peace - Tanya Huff

The first book of a thrilling new military science fiction spin-off of Tanya Huff's Confederation series.

Gunnery Sergeant Torin Kerr had been the very model of a Confederation Marine. But when she learned the truth about the war the Confederation was fighting, she left the military for good. But Torin couldn’t walk away from preserving and protecting everything the Confederation represented. Instead, she drew together an elite corps of friends and allies to take on covert missions that the Justice Department and the Corps could not—or would not—officially touch. 

Ancient H’san grave goods are showing up on the black market—grave goods from just before the formation of the Confederation, when the H’san gave up war and buried their planet-destroying weapons. Someone is searching for these weapons and they’re very close to finding them. 

Fortunately, only the Corps Intelligence Service has this information. Unfortunately, they can do nothing about it. Though Torin Kerr and her team are no longer a part of the military, the six of them tackling the H’san defenses  are the only chance the Confederation has. The only chance to avoid millions more dead. 

My thoughts:
So yes this is the start of a new series, but be warned, it's also book 6 of her adventures. But new series and all. In that way, yes it could work as a standalone. But you would miss how she fought in their wars, had her adventures, found a conspiracy, and ended up with Craig. But, sure it works like it is.

Torin is ex-marine. She is tough nails and she was so very military. But the previous series threw some punches and now she is out. But when you are out, they pull you back in! She has her crew, they get a job and they take it.

The world may be at peace, but those others are still out there. Some humans are making noise about humans first. Other alien races not touched by the war is all murderers, idiots! When you have Elder races, telling younger races to fight their wars, while middle races sit it out, oh will this confederation really last? And now someone is trying to steal big bad weapons. Peace in space, not an easy thing to have.

This is military scifi. There will be fights, tech, weapons and lots and lots of danger. Those H'San sure knew how to invent stuff. But it's not non stop action all the way. Torin still has time to worry about a teammate, who really needs someone of his own kind (long story, but they really really need others). She is a good woman.

Conclusion
I do wonder where this new business will take them. Lots of space still to explore.

Cover
Cool

Paperback, 400 pages
Published October 6th 2015 by Titan Books
Peacekeeper, #1, Confederation #6
Sci.fi
For revew

35 comments:

  1. I definitely like the sound of Torin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol peacekeeper.... last time i heard that was in farscape >.>

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does this feature new characters or just a new storyline?

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love some good sci-fi. I think I'd want to start where her story first began, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I havent' read a good space scifi in awhile, oh wait, I take that back, I read Illuminae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been on a sci-fi roll for some reason lately, oh and anthologies, weird

      Delete
  6. Hm... this one sounds good but also sounds like I would enjoy reading the other series first.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked this one too, but need to read other books in series. You miss out on too much otherwise! Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do miss her whole story, it works, but it will make you curioussssss

      Delete
  8. This looks like fun. I've been burnt before on the #1 of one series and #whatever of another. Sometimes they don't mark the original series well enough, especially if you really need to read the original series to know what is going on. I'm glad this one works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say the writing is like it was before, the stories like they were before. So It has not really changed. it is just a new chapter in her life

      Delete
  9. I'm really glad you're getting into sci-fi because I'm so curious to see what else you'll be reading! This one was a book I'm actually interested in. So pleased to see it intrigued you, because I really want to check it out now.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I told you I would do it and I did it :D I am also surprised that I enjoy it. Like the Baxter one, oh that one was so awesome, and I would never ever ever have picked it up. I like this, taking chances on scifi :)

      Delete
  10. She looks like Lara Croft in space. ;)

    I'll have to check out the original series. I like this type of stuff once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It might be too military and sci-fi for me..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds really good, Linda! I like the tech, fight, alien races, military combo. And you're really keeping your word on reading more scifi. Good for you, my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This one sounds right up to my alley. Maybe I'll start with the original series first, to know the background of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  14. T.Huff is one of those authors that I plan but never have time to check out. One day soon...
    Still this book does not seem like a good place to start, I like to read my stories from the beginning.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP