Thursday 15 October 2015

Steampunk Thursday: The Girl in the Steel Corset / Prudence

This edition: BONUS BOOK INCLUDED, The Strange Case of Finley Jayne 

The Strange Case of Finley Jayne -98 pages

In 1897 England, sixteen-year-old Finley Jayne has no one... except the "thing" inside her.

When a young lord tries to take advantage of Finley, she fights back. And wins. But no normal Victorian girl has a darker side that makes her capable of knocking out a full-grown man with one punch.

Only Griffin King sees the magical darkness inside her and says she's special, says she's one of them . The orphaned duke takes her in from the gaslit streets, against the wises of his band of misfits. And Finley thinks she might finally be a part of something, finally fit in-until a criminal mastermind known as Machinist threatens to tear the group apart... 

My thoughts:
This one included the prequel novella The Strange Case of Finley Jayne -98 pages. I liked that one, it gave me a better look at Finley, and it stood well on its own. I actually liked it more than the actual book.

On the strengths and weaknesses of the actual book, I would say that read the prequel. Without I doubt I would have liked Finley like I did. And I do hate that. This novella could have been in the actual book, do not make us read it later or before. I hate that. Cos if you do not know about it you miss out. Not cool.

Finley is a strange girl, we find out why later on. She meets a strange bunch of youngsters and befriends them. They are hunting for someone, she does not join in. She is just around.

And then boom! Love triangle. WHy oh why! The first guy is such a boring loser. The other guy, oh whatever, yes he is a bad boy but he has so much character, while the first has no personality.

But love triangle aside, it was a good book. I did like the novella the most, so that was a shame. I would read more if the library had them, but to buy...one word, love triangle. Recommend...sure, why not. But be warned, love triangle! Really, why did there have to be a love triangle!? I liked it so much until then. I still recommend it to YA steampunk lovers though.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 476 pages
Published April 17th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Steampunk Chronicles #1
Steampunk romance YA
Library


When Prudence Alessandra Maccon Akeldama (Rue to her friends) is given an unexpected dirigible, she does what any sensible female would under similar circumstances - names it the Spotted Crumpet and floats to India in pursuit of the perfect cup of tea.

But India has more than just tea on offer. Rue stumbles upon a plot involving local dissidents, a kidnapped brigadier's wife, and some awfully familiar Scottish werewolves. Faced with a dire crisis and an embarrassing lack of bloomers, what else is a young lady of good breeding to do but turn metanatural and find out everyone's secrets, even thousand-year-old fuzzy ones? 

My thoughts:
I was thinking of giving this one an ok rating, but, did I think it as ok? Did I like a single thing about it?

Not really.

Every single character was an idiot. So freaking annoying. I would not want to be friends with any of them. I would not even want to be in the room with any of them. I did meet 3 previous characters, but even they had changed.

The book tried WAY too hard. WAAAAAAY! No, that is not funny. No, that is not cute. That is pushing it beyond. It was trying. It was exhausting to read.

There was no plot. Suddenly there was one. And I was all, this makes no sense. I do not like this. I would have DNFed if I had not loved Soulless, but even that series turned sour at the end. 

I do not recommend reading this series.

Cover
The only good thing about the book

Paperback, 343 pages
Published March 19th 2015 by Orbit
The Custard Protocol #1
Steampunk
Own

46 comments:

  1. Great review and covers, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love triangle?! Noooooo. Glad that aside from that it was a solid read though, unlike Prudence. Sorry that was a fail for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't exactly love Soulless though I wanted to so I haven't picked up anything by Carringer since, and I will avoid this newest offering. I liked the Girl in the Steel Corset well enough back in the day, but today, I don't think it holds up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it when I read it, but I always that if I re.read I would go meh. it was my first steampunk

      Delete
  4. I read Carriger's Etiquette & Espionage novel, but I found it just OK. A steel corset ? How uncomfortable that must be !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not care for that book either.

      LOL! But yes, yikes! That would be painful

      Delete
  5. It's so hard to like a book when you can't stand any of the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've wanted to try Steampunk for a long time but haven't gotten around to it yet. I think I'm missing out on alot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah. Steampunk and fantasy novels aren't the type of books I typically read. I just can't get into them! I'm still trying to read Soulless by Gail Carringer for the longest time. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then it's not for you. I actually liked Soulless...then that series went down in flames too

      Delete
  8. Aw, so sorry you didn't like Prudence. I thought it was really quirky and fun, and actually enjoyed it more than her other Parasol Protectorate series. Prudence kind of has her head in the clouds, but I enjoyed her and her farting ladybug dirigible :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see the appeal, but for me, sigh, too much. Too silly :(

      Delete
  9. I'm not a fan of love triangles so I won't be trying out the first novel and the second doesn't seem to be up my alley either, but thanks for these honest reviews!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love triangles are sadly so YA, it's like they have to be there for some reason..eh, no. Sure this book was older when it was "in", but still, it ruined the vibe for me a bit

      Delete
  10. Say no more. Love triangles aren't my thing. And yes, those in between novellas that chronologically are prequels are so confusing as to when to read them.

    Yikes, you're not the first person to not like the Custard series. Guess I'll hold off on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that this one came out after the book, and that is just...why? Since it was a part of this book now it made me like her better. Without it the book could have been only ok

      Delete
  11. Not sure if I'mm try the second one but I was curious about the first one and it's great to know that a prequel is inside as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But you have to get the right book, all do not have the prequel I think

      Delete
  12. I'm pretty sure I have the first Kady Cross book already. Sounds like this one was good despite some issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was good, despite love triangle and all

      Delete
  13. I started with the Strange Case of FinleyJane and agree it should be read first.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Haven't read the novella, but I really loved Girl in the Steel Corset, triangle and all :) I also loved Girl in the Clockwork Collar, and Girl with the Iron Touch. Kay Cross knows her stuff, both steampunk- and writing-wise! Haven't read the fourth one yet - not sure if it's out. Happy weekend, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the steampunk :) I just wished the triangle had not been there. I did not need to be there. Focus on one boy!

      Delete
  15. I kept reading the first series because I love Jack Dandy. He's my favorite character in that series.
    I haven't read more of Carriger and it sounds like I should avoid The Custard Protocol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did like him. I do think he was the best character in the books, he was fleshed out

      Delete
  16. I read The Girl in the Steel Corset when it was released, I liked it. I also read second book on that series and liked it too. Unfortunately I DNF third book, but I think it was a "it's me, not you" cases.
    I was wondering about Prudence, because I also liked Soulless but I have to agree with you, the last books in that series were not good... I'm glad you read and review Prudence, now I don't have to read it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could read book 2, if they had it, but I just wish that love triangle had not been there.

      HA. Yes I read it, and now you do not have to :)

      Delete
  17. Both of these are on my maybe-tbr but your reviews didn't really motivate me to read them. I hate love triangle and Prudence sounds like not-for-me kind of book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just so sigh. It did not have to be there! Focus on one love if you want to make me believe

      Delete
  18. So... we are calling it "the thing" now? bwaahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've got The Girl in the Steel Corset on my groaning TBR mountain, no idea when I'll get to it but looks like I'll have to read Finley-Jane first :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. *falls over* WHY THE LOVE TRIANGLE, WHY. I still would quite like to read the Steel Corset book, but...ARG,I have to deal with a love triangle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need focus on one guy, cos I always like the wrong one

      Delete
  21. These books haven't called to me to pick them up yet. Though the second one and it's series has me slightly curious (I think it's the cover). lol. But oh well. Doesn't seem like I'm missing much anyway.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP