Thursday 8 October 2015

The Lazarus Gate - Mark A.Latham

London, 1890. Captain John Hardwick, an embittered army veteran and opium addict, is released from captivity in Burma and returns home, only to be recruited by a mysterious gentlemen’s club to combat a supernatural threat to the British Empire.

This is the tale of a secret war between parallel universes, between reality and the supernatural; a war waged relentlessly by an elite group of agents; unsung heroes, whose efforts can never be acknowledged, but by whose sacrifice we are all kept safe. 

My thoughts:
This started with John returning from Burma. A former solider suffering from PTSD since he had been tortured and was now addicted to opium. Yeah, it was not good to be John. 

The setting was Victorian London. A very nice setting for a mystery if I may add.

And the story is about John getting a new job, a case to work and sets out to solve a mystery.

A nice normal historical mystery.

Paranormal things going on you say? Poppycock. John seconds that.

*read a bit more* Right, I should have trusted that blurb. Balderdash. There is no things like that.
No, this Victorian mystery just turned weird. And by weird I mean weeeird. There is more things under the heavens than you and I know. John gets beaten, finds an unknown world. Meets new friends, and that mystery is a slippery one. He does question everything and even I turned whaat? another time- Sure threw me a surprise there.

Conclusion:
So it is a paranormal mystery, and there is an ending. One crisis is averted, but more seems to be coming. Victorian London is not safe.

Cover
eh

Paperback, 400 pages
Published September 29th 2015 by Titan Books
The Apollonian Case Files #1
Historical paranormal mystery
For review


35 comments:

  1. I actually like that cover! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a mess, to be honest. Oh well, it's not my thing to read anyway. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you feel like that then yes not the book for you. Trust that first instinct :)

      Delete
  3. I think I would like the paranormal turn this one takes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How paranormal did it get?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not spoil things but, in this world there is nothing...but there are other universes. Not with paranormal things, just the sight

      Delete
  5. I am not sure if I am a fan of the other universe thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm will pass, I like returned soldiers and read some paranormal, but .... no!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i actually kinda like the cover ahah

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I recognize the cover more than the title, and this is the first time I've seen a review for this one. Looks as fun and interesting as I'd expected, might have to check it out!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am like that sometimes, title what? Cover, yeah I know that one

      Delete
  9. hmm I wonder about the weird part...

    ReplyDelete
  10. hmm, I think I'll skip this one...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This actually sounds like one I might enjoy- weird and all. Of course, historical mysteries tend to draw my attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same with me, I like a historical setting more than a modern

      Delete
  12. I love that word: poppycock! Lol. Victorian London sounds rather intriguing, my dear :) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, me too, that is why I had to use it :D

      Delete
  13. LOL! Love it when a pragmatic character gets hit with the inexplicable. You hooked me with that description of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, thank you, I went off road a bit there

      Delete
  14. Maaaaan, I cannot wait to be done with school...it is throwing me behind in my posting comments. HAHA

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds good, I love Victorian London and I like that cover myself.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I kinda like that cover. lol. Sounds like a good mystery. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Some times the paranormal in the mystery doesn't really seem to fit. I hate that. I don't think the PTSD and addict thing is for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that, here it did fit cos well, you would see

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP