Wednesday 7 October 2015

Thorn and The Bone Knife- Intisar Khanani


Visit Booklust to learn more

For Princess Alyrra, choice is a luxury she's never had ... until she's betrayed.

Princess Alyrra has never enjoyed the security or power of her rank. Between her family's cruelty and the court's contempt, she has spent her life in the shadows. Forced to marry a powerful foreign prince, Alyrra embarks on a journey to meet her betrothed with little hope for a better future.

But powerful men have powerful enemies--and now, so does Alyrra. Betrayed during a magical attack, her identity is switched with another woman's, giving Alyrra the first choice she's ever had: to start a new life for herself or fight for a prince she's never met. But Alyrra soon finds that Prince Kestrin is not at all what she expected. While walking away will cost Kestrin his life, returning to the court may cost Alyrra her own. As Alyrra is coming to realize, sometime the hardest choice means learning to trust herself.

My thoughts:
This was a book I read at a work. I read for a while in darkness (that is what ebooks are great for), get back to it the next day, and the day after. Except, today I was all NOOOO. I can not stop now! But I had to. So I did what anyone would do, I continued the book at home. I just could not let it go. I loved the "silence" of it all...

Alyrra was not your kick-ass, cool, assertive heroine. She was quiet, walked in the shadows and I liked her for it. She was a princess, but hated her home. As a princess she was sent to marry a stranger, but was betrayed, and made into someone else. But then, she liked that. It gave her a freedom she never had. It made her work hard, it made her make great new friends. All while the intrigues at the court was far away. But sometimes way too near.

Grr, Valka was such a bitch!!!! What a backstabbing bitch.

The prince. Yes I did expect some sort of romance, but there was none. He lived his life, she lived hers (re-telling of the goose-girl, figure it out.) But I must confess I did want her to hook up with this man she met.

I did not care if the world building was not splendid. It needed not be. She did not see the whole world. She did not see a lot in fact doing what she did. But she saw the city, and I could see it.

And sure, she did not do much. She was caught in a spell and wondering what she could do, or wanted to do. But in the end I think she will be happy, or I hope so. A good ending.

Conclusion:
This might just be one of the better freebie indie books I have ever downloaded. I recommend it. A good YA fantasy book.

Cover
Different

Kindle Edition, 246 pages
Published May 30th 2012 by Intisar Khanani
YA, fantasy
Own


Rae knows how to look out for family. Born with a deformed foot, she feigns indifference to the pityand insults that come her way. Wary of all things beautiful, Rae instantly distrusts their latest visitor: an appallingly attractive faerie. Further, his presence imperils the secret her sister guards. But when the local townspeople show up demanding his blood, Rae must find a way to protect both her sister’s secret and their guest. Even if that means risking herself. 


My thoughts:
Not much to say, it was very short. I did not get the whole Faerie thing. Yes in her other book she mentions them but no one sees them, and now he came from the king's city..was this another world?

Anyway, the story about Rae, who has a clubfoot, who meets a Faerie. Who protects her sister. And then the end.

I wish it had been longer

Kindle Edition, 35 pages
Published October 22nd 2012
The Theft of Sunlight 0.5
Fantasy, YA
Own

46 comments:

  1. Oh I love how addicted you were with the first book. I miss those days!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rarely happens with ebooks, so I was all whaaat

      Delete
  2. So glad you enjoyed Thorn!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Her being all kick ass and cool sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I am scared of recommending to yuu, but yes...you might like it

      Delete
  5. Well I am going to go see if I can still get freebie of Thorn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm actually quite interested in Thorn! I saw it around, I think it was on NetGalley or in one of my Amazon newsletters. Loved the sound of it, but of course, I was wary about indies/small press. Thanks for the review, now I'll take a closer look.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was out with a new cover or something.

      I do know that feeling, that is why I discard my freebies so easily

      Delete
  7. think I own Thorn, sounds very intriguing,

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thorn actually sounds like a good read, although do you know I can't remember the story of The Goose Girl, need to brush up on my fairytales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not remember it either, just along the lines of it

      Delete
  9. Short works against a book that needs more worldbuilding. However, I really need to read that first book. Sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH... You wanted a romance? It must be a good book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh the first one sounds good. Glad you enjoyed it so! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love when you find a freebie that you end up enjoying it. I'll have to check to see if it is still free.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it when a freebie really gives a good story.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's great to see you found a geat book like that to the point that you couldn't wait to read in a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh dang, Thorn sounds wonderful. I love when a book is so addicting like that. And it's free? Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, I like the first cover. The cover of The Bone Knife - meh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thorn is on my list. Jenny @ Supernatural did the cover..so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well both sound surprisingly good, but I'm checking out Thorn right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I loved Thorn, too! And I think The Bone Knife was meant as an introductory story to a new series, but she is still writing the series. So hopefully we'll see more of both those characters soon. I really love Khanani, and I came to her through #Diversiverse, too, so I'm glad she still makes a strong showing year after year :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I tried the Goodreds diverese list and found out I had this on on it. Sounded perfect and it was. But alas, it has been years since I put up all my freebie on GR

      Delete
  20. Thorn sounds like a very good one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book needs so much more love. It is my favorite Goose Girl retellings.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really like the cover, it's different but a good different and I love retellings. Going to look for this one, thanks B :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am pretty sure I bought Thorn ages ago and it's on my kindle. Need to read soon!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP