Tuesday 1 December 2015

Bring up the Bodies - Hilary Mantel

Though he battled for seven years to marry her, Henry is disenchanted with Anne Boleyn. She has failed to give him a son and her sharp intelligence and audacious will alienate his old friends and the noble families of England. When the discarded Katherine dies in exile from the court, Anne stands starkly exposed, the focus of gossip and malice.

At a word from Henry, Thomas Cromwell is ready to bring her down. Over three terrifying weeks, Anne is ensnared in a web of conspiracy, while the demure Jane Seymour stands waiting her turn for the poisoned wedding ring. But Anne and her powerful family will not yield without a ferocious struggle. Hilary Mantel's Bring Up the Bodies follows the dramatic trial of the queen and her suitors for adultery and treason. To defeat the Boleyns, Cromwell must ally with his natural enemies, the papist aristocracy. What price will he pay for Anne's head? 

My thoughts:
I should say pretty, intelligent things, but but! I hated lit class. I just wanted to read. So, sorry Mantel. I am not gonna say those pretty words about how you brought life into the writing. Even if I never truly was in Cromwell's head, I was still there beside him as he saw and heard things. The way the POV just flowed over me as the reader. But it worked, it worked standing there next to him, never knowing his heart, or other heart's. Because I was only listening. 
But I do not know how to explain those kinds of things.

I remember the last book as very heavy, good but heavy, took me a long time to read it. I  my standard ;D This one was lighter in that aspect, which I liked. She never makes it textbook heavy either. Ugh, that can be so annoying. But she holds that fiction line so steady. It's fiction after all, and she writes it splendidly.

The saga of Thomas Cromwell continues. Henry is getting tired of Anne. He is tired of Katherine. He is tired. Europe is knocking on his door. And Cromwell is trying to walk that fine line of serving his king, and keeping his head. And we all know how that worked out.

Conclusion;
It is a well written historical book. I do confess I am SO over the Tudors, but she kept me interested, even if I know everything that happens. Just not from Cromwell's POV. 

Cover
I do not mind simple when it comes to his fic

Hardcover, 411 pages
Published May 10th 2012 by Fourth Estate
Thomas Cromwell Trilogy #2
Historical fiction
own

46 comments:

  1. I've tried to read books from this time but I just glaze over lol

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know much about Thomas Cromwell, but judging from your last sentence there I'm guessing he didn't get to keep his head ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, his head is still on his shoulders, but I can't promise it will be there for long ;)

      Delete
  3. I've never really been interested in the Tudors so I don't think this is for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to see the drama from Cromwell's side. I do feel bad for him since all he really wants to do is serve. He helped bring Anne to power and helped with her and her family's downfall. It's interesting. I love the time period and the Tudors, but I also need a break. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Cromwell, he tried his best. But, you should never be too close with Henry. Your head will roll

      Delete
  5. I have read a few books from this era, and I find it fascinating. I haven't tried this author, so I will have to consider this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't read that much historical but I was always oddly interested in the Tudors.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are just too many books about them

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like historical fiction but the Tudor's just don't draw me in. I'm glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never read a Tudor story. I just never read many historicals in general.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, a historical - not one for me, but good that you like to hang out there!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to be a huge Tudor reader, but it's been awhile. Have you read Phillippa Gregory's books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only her War of the roses books.
      Though, Gregory and Mantel should not be put in the same sentence. I like Gregory, just, their writing, and who they write for...

      Delete
  13. HenryVIII is a favorite setting of mine. I saw a special about what Henry ate, it's disgusting stuff! No wonder he was diabetic and stinky! Ewww!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And all those women that had to pretend he was the best, blergh

      Delete
  14. I like it when I feel like I'm right there with the characters as stuff happens. Neat that the author can pull you in like that. Poor Cromwell, he didn't have good luck in all this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yeah, we're pretty saturated with stories about the Tudors, but I can't help it, I still love historical fiction about them :)

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  16. not sure it would be something for me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not just the way she writes, it sure is not for everyone

      Delete
  17. Yeah, the Tudors were definitely done one too many times and now it's pretty much hit or miss with me. This one sounds heavy, but potentially interesting. Fantastic review, Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's no P Gregory, so in that aspect it's very heavy, but no more than other his fic books...that are real his fic

      Delete
  18. I've been wanting to read her books ever since I saw her page on the British Coucil website -:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Doesn't sounds like something I'd enjoy! 😦
    Haniya
    booknauthors.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved both of her Thomas Cromwell books. The audio books were awesome! It was cool to hear from someone in the Tudor court that was a bit different. I don't think I could ever tire of the Tudors.♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well I can still read about them so ;)
      Ohh I wonder how the audio books sound now

      Delete
  21. I have a degree in Renaissance studies, plus I'm a Tudor-addict, so I'm always eager to devour the next Tudor read.

    I do agree that this one was so much lighter than Wolf Hall. And Mantel did an amazing job making me feel as though I was right there in the middle of everything.

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am more the Medieval kind of gal, 12th century and before and a bit after. Let's just say 11th to the plague.

      I liked the lighter part, it made me read faster ;) She is so good at that

      Delete
  22. Is it Friday yet?! Pretty please??

    ReplyDelete
  23. I haven't tried any of her books yet... Someday...

    ReplyDelete
  24. I will try and get through the 1st book ... one day

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP