Sunday 20 December 2015

Carole's Sunday Review: The last wife of Attila the Hun - Joan Schweighardt


Author: Joan Schweighardt
Title: The Last Wife of Attila the Hun
Genre: Historical Fiction & Fantasy
Pages: ebook
First Published: September 2015
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to my by the author/publisher for my honest and unbiased opinion)

Two threads are flawlessly woven together in this sweeping historical novel. In one, Gudrun, a Burgundian noblewoman, dares to enter the City of Attila to give its ruler what she hopes is a cursed sword; the second reveals the unimaginable events that have driven her to this mission. 

Based in part on the true history of the times and in part on the same Nordic legends that inspired Wagner’s Ring Cycle and other great works of art, The Last Wife of Attila the Hun offers readers a thrilling story of love, betrayal, passion and revenge, all set against an ancient backdrop itself gushing with intrigue. 



I have always been interested in the story of Attila. He's always been controversial. People either love him or hate him...it all depends on what side of history you sympathize with. Personally....I'm not sure what side I am. All I know is that he and his story is intriguing.



Even more intriguing is the story of his last wife, which this book is about. It's no spoiler, since its common knowledge - but he married this girl and then she killed him on their wedding night. It is assumed out of revenge for what he did. No one can say for certainty why she did it - was it revenge for something he did to her, her family, her people, or just for being him. I still wonder why he needed 12 wives....seems like too much work personally. I totally see 2....3....or maybe 4. But 12? Really? Too much. 

Sorry, I digress....

But yes - I loved how this was in her POV, because I've always wanted to learn more about her. It's a theory, but I would side with this theory that she killed him out of revenge for the wrongs he did to her family and people. Also, it was nice twist that she had help.

There is also a touch of fantasy mixed in. I wasn't a huge fan of the fantasy aspect of the book. For me, it didn't seem to mix well. I'm glad there was only a small dosage of it, so that was a consolation. 

Overall, this was a fun read. It was quick and a nice way to look at the fall of Attila...through the eyes of the women who ended it all. She did what no man could do - she killed a legend and thus became remembered herself. There was a touch of fantasy mixed in, which I was meh about. However, I still enjoyed the story. I recommend it for those that are interested in the time period and Attila himself. It was a nice change of POV. Out of five stars, I stamp this with 3. 






7 comments:

  1. I've never read any fiction or studied about Attila since school, but I am curious. Interesting focus and it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Twelve wives does sound a little on the excessive side, lol!!! But this is a very interesting story, especially with the mix of fiction and fantasy. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never read a book regarding him but I don't know while movies are ok, I'm not sure I'm up for a book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your unbiased opinion, Carole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will say that I know little about Attila. This does sound like an interesting story. I completely get why you're interested in him. I love reading about and watching shows about serial killers, cult leaders and the like. Not because I value them as individuals, but because I find them interesting. I also agree that 12 wives would be way too much work.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP