Tuesday 8 December 2015

The Death of Bees - Lisa O´Donnell

A riveting, brilliantly written debut novel, The Death of Bees is a coming-of-age story in which two young sisters attempt to hold the world at bay after the mysterious death of their parents.

Marnie and Nelly, left on their own in Glasgow's Hazlehurst housing estate, attempt to avoid suspicion until Marnie can become a legal guardian for her younger sister.

Written with fierce sympathy and beautiful precision, and told in alternating voices, The Death of Bees by Lisa O’Donnell is an enchanting, grimly comic tale of lost souls who, unable to answer for themselves, can answer only for each other. 

My thoughts:
Aww fantasy and UF, I do love thee. And no offence, but I also love lit fic for it's writing.

Marnie and Nellie have 2 effed up alkie parents. Well had, they died and they buried them in the yard.

There are 3 POVS and they all have their chapters. 

Nellie is, well they never say, but she seems a bit aspie. She talks like an old woman and has her own rules.

Marnie, the oldest is 15. She drinks, does drugs, does stupid things. But she is smart and she wants them together, so that is why they buried them and they try to keep up the act.

The third POV is Lennie. The neighbor, the only one that notices that something is wrong. He tries to look after them.

Conclusion:
It's well written. 3 great POVS. You are in their heads, their miserable heads. It's not pretty, it's bleak, and it's really messed up. But it is so good, she has a great voice. I would totally read more by her.

I wish I could write a better review, but I am so angry at windows 10 since it took me ages to write this and it kept deleting and doing other stuff. Just read it ok.

Cover
Nice

Paperback, 336 pages
Published October 22nd 2013 by Harper Perennial (first published 2012)
Fiction
Library

41 comments:

  1. UGH about Windows 10. I am fighting all its upgrade attempts so far...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes messed up is just what I need. lol It makes my life seem normal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats for finally publishing your review. Aspie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds pretty different. Glad you liked it!

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad you enjoyed this one, but I am in such a reading slump right now that I don't think this is the right book for me . Hope your computer issues are resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember when this first came out, the reviews for it were really...interesting

    ReplyDelete
  7. The 3 POVs part worries me a bit, but UF is always my first choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds interesting. You still made me want to read it, even if Windows 10 was trying to prevent that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh you spoiled that review by making me laugh out loud at the cussing of Windows 10. Anyway this could be one I'd enjoy. 3 POV's I don't mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For this it needed that, and the good thing, every chapter starts with a name! Haha

      Delete
  10. It sounds interesting to enter in te head of the 3.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once in a while the dark quirky stories do it for me. Thanks for persevering against Windows 10.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started the book some time back, but something else snuck in the TBR pile. I'll try again, soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This book looks very good :) And consider that you've won over W10, since you managed to post that review even if the software wouldn't ^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds good. 3 POVs is different. Sorry about the Windows 10 problems. I hate when things like that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the cover of this one! I always have a soft spot for illustrated covers. Sounds like an intriguing read as well:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard more bad things about window 10.

    This sounds like a very dark novel. I'm surprised you liked it as well as you did. Yea, that makes me totally curious about this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate it, haaaate it.

      Dark is good, and it was not DARK, just sad too

      Delete
  17. Bleak. I don't know if I have the appetite for them nowadays..

    ReplyDelete
  18. This book sounds interesting, and as much as I like messed up characters I'm not a fan of druggies. (or depressing circumstances)

    I hate Windows 10!!!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP