Friday 8 January 2016

Maresi - Maria Turtschaninoff

Maresi came to the Red Abbey when she was thirteen, in the Hunger Winter. Before then, she had only heard rumours of its existence in secret folk tales. In a world where girls aren't allowed to learn or do as they please, an island inhabited solely by women sounded like a fantasy. But now Maresi is here, and she knows it is real. She is safe.

Then one day Jai tangled fair hair, clothes stiff with dirt, scars on her back arrives on a ship. She has fled to the island to escape terrible danger and unimaginable cruelty. And the men who hurt her will stop at nothing to find her.

Now the women and girls of the Red Abbey must use all their powers and ancient knowledge to combat the forces that wish to destroy them. And Maresi, haunted by her own nightmares, must confront her very deepest, darkest fears.

A story of friendship and survival, magic and wonder, beauty and terror, Maresi will grip you and hold you spellbound. 

My thoughts:
A few notes first. I did not read this book that is coming out now. I read the original since it would be pretty silly not to read in my own language when the book is written in it.

Maresi is a short fantasy novel that takes place on an island for women. At times it feels very young, but not at the end as certain things happen.

Maresi is a girl who loves books. For that I have to love her, a fellow booklover and all. Her reason for coming to the island was to save at least one child as the family was starving. She tells the story with her own words as she is writing it down.

The story being how Jai came to the island. And who someone will come after Jai and place them all in danger. An island for women, with no real protection except for their Goddess.

It's a nice little story about their island, their work there, and friendship. I liked the bits we got about how the Abbey got started, but it did made me wonder about the past and those that sailed there. You know I always want more.

Hardcover, 256 pages
Expected publication: January 14th 2016 by Pushkin Children's Books (first published January 1st 2014)
Original Title: Maresi: Krönikor från Röda klostret
Fantasy/ YA
Library
How my copy looked


I also read Arra, and this is a book set in the same world as Maresi,  Arra takes place long long before the events in Maresi. And in another country. Arra is but a legend now.

I wont show the review since that would be rather evil of me since it has not been translated and might never be. But here is my review

And Anache, which takes place long after Arra, and long before Maresi. And also in another country- They are just legends from this world. And since this might never be translated either then here is my review

42 comments:

  1. I don't blame you for reading the original version, written in your language. I don't normally like translated books, as something always gets lost in the translation. A funny or action scene, you know. This looks like one I'd read for sure. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true, things do get lost. But think of all the great books written and not in your language. So sometimes you have to give them a chance :D Of course I am glad I could read this in my own

      Delete
  2. I wish I could speak or at least read Swedish...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, it's so cool that you read this in Swedish! But this MARESI sounds really good! Stories of friendship are incredibly hard for me to resist :P

    Asma @ IceyBooks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And for once I can say that it would work for you :D

      Delete
  4. I love that you read in your native tongue. I have a soft spot for heroines who love books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a while since I did that. What can I say. Everything I want is in English

      Delete
  5. I would be curious for you to read the new one coming out and note any differences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only time I have done that is when I have read translations for fantasy books, when younger, found that they are crap, and read the originals instead. But they used to be really bad at translating in the day

      Delete
  6. I wanna read in Swedish! I can read French! I MUST LEARN MORE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U can read in French!! I can only read in Swedish, Finnish, English, Danish and Norwegian. HA! I won, oh and a bit in German

      Delete
  7. I read a book about a book lover. I'm bored to death! I with it were something like M instead

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it is always a great idea to try a book in the language it was written... especially for you in this case. ;) I think I like your cover better and this one sounds like a interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like my cover better too, but those two other are so meh

      Delete
  9. I wish I knew another language. I took German in high school, but don't know enough that I could ever read a book in it. I do agree that reading in the original language makes since.

    Have you ever read American books in other languages or do you just read them all in English?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took German too, but then I had this old evil teacher and just gave up. I do remember some to get by, but not a whole book.

      Well of course, when I was little I did it all the time, but when I started High School and found all those awesome book not translated to my language, never looked back

      Delete
  10. Glad you liked it. I love books with book-loving characters. Hmm, an island without men...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh nice, this is definitely a potential fantasy read. Glad it was translated, but I'll bet it was better getting it in the original. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh I love that she loves books and it takes place on a island....sounds pretty fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heroines who love books are the best, and I always like a good female friendship. I bet it would be interesting reading this in the original Swedish and then the translated English version, just to see how different they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must see if the library gets the translation and then see :)

      Delete
  14. This sounds like an interesting fantasy. I hadn't heard of it before, but it is awesome that it was translated! Yeah! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my first time seeing this book. It is good to know that you are basing your thoughts on the original language. I just wrote a post on translations. They certainly can make or break a book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I don't like reading in Dutch, sex scenes are especially difficult as Dutch doesn't have beautiful words for it. It becomes so rude, not romantic at all. I will only re-read Dutch children's books I love as a child, but all my adult reading is in English.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would sex scenes in any language are awkward ;)

      Delete
  17. I am totally lost and confused... haha... it's the LOST island! No!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool it's been translated, I like the cover of your copy more though!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your copy looked so much nicer. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP