Sunday 14 February 2016

Carole's Sunday Review: Across Borders - Lee Ducote


Author: Lee Ducote
Title: Across Borders
Genre: Fiction 
Pages: ebook
First Published: February 2016
Where I Got It: My shelf (Given to me by publisher and/or author for my honest and unbiased opinion)



Lawson Caine, an eight year veteran of the Border Patrol, is stationed in Presidio Texas with legendary lawman Capt. James Garrett. Lawson, who is from a long linage of lawmen, has gained the respect and reverence from his team, Dale Chanson, Terry Bennet, and the crazy member, Alex Sweeny. Together as a team their mission is to protect the US by patrolling the borders of Mexico for illegal aliens and the never ending drug trade. 

James Garrett, who goes by the name Cap, has trained many young rookies from the academy and served as a father figure before turning them over to other stations within the four states that border Mexico. Their greatest task and personal vendetta is to capture a famous smuggling lord who is barbaric and callous leaving many Mexicans to die in the rugged terrain of West Texas. Over the last few years Lawson and Sweeny have built a brotherhood and together they work through the struggle of Sweeny becoming a widower and raising his eight year old daughter all while keeping a guarded eye on the border. 

Lawson never expected anything to come between his dedication with the Border Patrol and his brotherhood with Sweeny until he meets local pharmacy owner, Lia Gonzales. Against her father’s wishes and the dissension she causes with her family Lia continues to see Lawson not realizing the inevitable consequences. Love blind, Lawson leads his team into a dangerous situation with Lia’s brother, who works for the smuggling lord, and loses more than his relationship with Lia. 

This is my first read from this author and I couldn't wait to read this, because it is so different. Yes, there is an impossible love story mixed in, but the characters were refreshing and the plot new. 


I loved Cap and his team members.They were fun. I was worried that all those extra side characters would not be done well and would be 2D, but the author did a wonderful job giving them in depth personality and traits. This is hard to do, but it was done well. I'm not sure how I felt about Lia. I liked her in the beginning, but then some of her decisions bugged me. Totally GET her hesitance, but still.



Honestly, I'm glad there was romance and action in this. It seemed really balanced and realistic. This would make a cute movie. 



My only real big complaint was the beginning. The beginning was really sloooooowwwwww; it felt like nothing was going to happen. I will be honest...I almost gave up. However, I pushed through and after 25 pages or so - it got so much better and I could hardly put it down. It's also an easy read, so once I was hooked and I flew through it. 



I can't really say much else - but one part really made me sad. :( 



Overall, this was a fun read. Something new and refreshing. The characters were fun and the drama/action was intriguing. The beginning was sloooooowwwwwwww, but it did get better. One part made me walk away for a minute, but I love when books make me feel like that. I would recommend this to those who need a quick read, but something interesting. I stamp this with 4 stars.








10 comments:

  1. Great review, very helpful. I'll check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. even if it was slow at first it's great to see you had a great time with the story and that it was different

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound different. I love action romances. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's hard to find something different these days. Sounds like a nice story.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For sure! A nice unique story is always refreshing.

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP