Sunday 28 February 2016

Sunday Discussion: The song of Achilles - Madeline Miller







This month Carole and I will be discussing "The Song of Achilles" by Madeline Miller.

Author: Madeline Miller
Title: The Song of Achilles
Genre: Historical Fiction & Fantasy
Pages: ebook
First Published: September 2012
Where I Got It: Borrowed from library


Greece in the age of heroes. Patroclus, an awkward young prince, has been exiled to the court of King Peleus and his perfect son Achilles. Despite their difference, Achilles befriends the shamed prince, and as they grow into young men skilled in the arts of war and medicine, their bond blossoms into something deeper - despite the displeasure of Achilles' mother Thetis, a cruel sea goddess. 

But when word comes that Helen of Sparta has been kidnapped, Achilles must go to war in distant Troy and fulfill his destiny. Torn between love and fear for his friend, Patroclus goes with him, little knowing that the years that follow will test everything they hold dear.



B: So where to begin with this epic story (that wasn’t epic at all.)

C: Hahaha. I must comment that it was better than I had thought…..BUT it was still only decent for me.

B: True, I thought I’d dislike it, but I enjoyed it, well to a point, then it  started to draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag.

C: Yes. It certainly was sooooo slow. SO much talking. I did like the beginning when they were young. It was nice to see young Achilles before Troy or even thinking about going to Troy. However, that was still slow.


B: Slow, but good. The worst part was so the war. NOTHING happened. We saw NOTHING. The most boring war in the history of wars.  I could have handled slow but boring, no, just no. The

second part made it an ok read


C: Agreed. I honestly did SO much skimming during the war part, because it was boring me. Which is a bummer!! The last couple of chapters got MUCH better, so I’m glad it ended

strongly.


B: With everyone dead,...ok so I knew that, but still, I was all why did I even read this? I hate endings

like that and I so did not get the whole oh look there is someone visiting me. Did the Greeks believe in ghosts?


C: I believe they did. Especially if they didn’t properly take care of the remains of the dead. Poor

Pat. I actually kinda sorta liked him in this. Normally, I find him annoying, but I liked him in this one. I don’t mind endings like this, because I do like tragedies! LOL

B: Many did believe that. Sucks to be him. It was just so weird and all floating and stuff. I, oh I do

not know. It was all what was it for? Stupid Pat, you brought on his destruction. Maybe someone could have told him that. I mean Achilles´mum did hate him

C: Honestly though! If Achilles’ madre JUST flat out said, “Yo - if you go you will kill Achilles….so

like...don’t go.” For goodness sakes! I’m sure if he was told THAT he would have stayed and cheered from the sidelines.

B: Stupid Greeks. I am glad they all died. Talking about stupid people, I hated his son so much. What a

little creep. Ewwwww.

C: YES! He was a little snot. >___> Especially what he did to Hector’s innocent baby. Like what

the hell? I hate that part of the story.

B: I know you have been fed ambrosia and whatever, but still 13 and a man. How old was Andromache by then too? God I hate that creep, I wanna go back in time and strangle him and cut of

his *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep*

C: Bleurgh. Annoying little buttface! LOL Sooooooo what did you think about the portrayal of Achilles in

this?

B: I have no feelings at all. he was just there. He was nothing special, I never saw him as a hero. He

was kind of dull.

C: Agreed. I’m glad he wasn’t an arrogant snot like he normally is portrayed as in other renditions.

BUT he was boring. He felt very 2D to me.

B: I wish for arrogant at times, cos this. So boring. The hero of the Greeks? Ha.

C: He’s no Stamos for sure! LOLLLLL Any final thoughts?

B: Ok wait. Let me see. Good first part even if it was slow cos I can like that. The war was boring. We

never got an insight into Troy. The Greek men are creepy rapists, especially you snotfaced devil. Achilles was a boring guy. Good old Pat was nice, but nice guys finishes last, and dies. Ha. Oh, I wanted more Gods. Now we just got that bitch of a mother.

C: still feel for Pat. But yes, the beginning was a good slow. The middle due to the boring war was uberly slow. Achilles in no Stamos. I wanted more Hector and insight into the Troy side as well. The last couple of pages, for me, were pretty good. I had low expectations for this, but it was a wee bit better than I thought….so a win-ish?


B: I had so low expectations (since I knew this war was stupid), so for me it was a huge win. I just wish

the end was as good as the beginning cos the beginning was really good for me. I liked the style and then it all went up in flames. Like the city of Troy.


C: Oooooh Troy. I feel bad for the innocents like Hector’s wife and child. But I have to agree. The style

was nice. I am curious to see if the author has anything else.

B: For me I hope it is a happier book ;)

C: She might be an evil writer and only write overly sad tales of woe and despair.

B: How depressing.

C: Very. The end?

B: The end.

C: Your turn! hehehe



B: And I said that YA book ;)

C: oooooh right! I nearly forgot! Excited. I hope it’s good.




19 comments:

  1. That was a delightful read, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe so hilarious!! Those greeks so entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  3. “Yo - if you go you will kill Achilles….so

    like...don’t go."

    ROFL!!!

    Or maybe she should've just bathed him entirely like flipped him over and dip his heels then it would've been solved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious review, ladies!

    But sad that the story was meh. I had my eye on this one, but I'll wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nooooo. I hate tragedies. I have this book. I want to read it, but I iz scared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do not be scared, you know what will happen, they all die. It's an old story

      Delete
  6. I love love your little reviews like that! so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL - I see you felt passionate about the Greeks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. lol a hilarious discussion about a pretty crappy book, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no on the dragging. And erg not for me I think.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP