Wednesday 13 April 2016

Clash of Eagles - Alan Smale

Imagine a world where the Roman Empire never fell... In AD 1218, Praetor Gaius Marcellinus, commander of the 33rd Legion, invades Nova Hesperia, a land inhabited by Powhatani, Iroqua and Cahokiani. In search of gold, he and his men find only death. Marcellinus is taken prisoner, but his life is spared. To survive he must re-evaluate his allegiances and find a new place in a strange land. 

My thoughts:
I like alternate history books. What if this, what if that? In this what if Rome never fell, instead it continued to conquer and spread its wings. And now the Northmen whose countries they also conquered bring tales about the land across the sea. Let's go forth and conquer.

But let's think about it, yes they can send a legion, but they are still alone in a vast land, getting picked off one by one. Yes they do have superior skills in some ways, but as you can see from the blurb it all goes to hell and Gaius is the only one left standing...

I admit, I know nothing about early American history, nothing northern at least. I know more about South American, I do know what the Hopi was up to, but this, nope, nothing. Like those mounds that Gaius come across and the author gave them more of a history now. And came up with some new interesting things too.

Of course this will all go to hell again wont it. Like Rome would let it go like that, like they let anything go. And then there is the fighting between tribes. I have no idea what this series will end like...no idea at all. But then he can invent anything really. I wonder if Rome will go fight the Aztects next. Ok I am digressing.

So this is a book about a stranger in a strange land, he needs to learns customs, language, and staying alive. He learns to appreciate a new culture all while knowing they might be doomed.

Conclusion;
Interesting. 

Paperback, UK edition, 400 pages
Published March 20th 2015 by Titan Books
Clash of Eagles Trilogy #1
Alternative history / historical fiction
For review

30 comments:

  1. Have you watched The Man in the High Castle? That's alternate history.

    Karen @For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the first ep, bit it was meh

      Delete
    2. I have to look that up. I'm now curious

      Delete
  2. hmm. I do love the Romans. Very curious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this seems fascinating, especially since I love history.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never been fan of alternate history books so I'll pass this. But good to hear you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious about this one when it was released, but really didn't see much about it. I may have to go back and read it at some point

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will read book 2 this weekend so we will see.... keep tuned in

      Delete
  6. Oh I hope they did their homework. I do hate it when author's do something with the Hopi folklore and really botch it. I'm so critical of these... I admit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, there are no Hopis here, I just said they are all I know. This is Midwest?

      Delete
  7. Hadn't heard of this one before!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating what if! I see in comment above you are going into book 2 so that will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is one series I wish I had gotten on board with earlier. Now I have two books to catch up with. But the themes are so up my alley, and I already have this one so it's just a matter of finding some time to read it. I love this cover more than the US one too!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the US one and I actually liked that one a lot ;)

      Delete
  10. I like alternate universe as well. But it's too bad I don't know much about actual History of the world. This would be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree it's always really fascinating to find alternative stories

    ReplyDelete
  12. Alternate stories are always interesting. This sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This does grab my attention. I love to explore 'what if' scenarios like this what if Romans made it to America. I'll have to snag this book eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hmmm... I love alternate history as well. But I can't tell if you really enjoyed it or not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bad, usually when I write reviews really late I can not put any emotion in them.
      I enjoyed it

      Delete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP