Tuesday 5 April 2016

In the Labyrinth of Drakes - Marie Brennan

Even those who take no interest in the field of dragon naturalism have heard of Lady Trent's expedition to the inhospitable deserts of Akhia. Her discoveries there are the stuff of romantic legend, catapulting her from scholarly obscurity to worldwide fame. The details of her personal life during that time are hardly less private, having provided fodder for gossips in several countries.

As is so often the case in the career of this illustrious woman, the public story is far from complete. In this, the fourth volume of her memoirs, Lady Trent relates how she acquired her position with the Royal Scirling Army; how foreign saboteurs imperiled both her work and her well-being; and how her determined pursuit of knowledge took her into the deepest reaches of the Labyrinth of Drakes, where the chance action of a dragon set the stage for her greatest achievement yet. 

My thoughts:
This series just has to be read, it is so wonderful. I love the way it's written and the seriousness of it, and not being serious. Like I said you have to read it.

It's a memoir of a famous dragon naturalist. It's a Victorian fantasy setting and there be dragons...

This is then Lady Trent's memoir. And yes sure you could just jump in but don't. The previous books are too good to miss. You have to read them and see her earlier adventures. Her first one. The swamp one. And the last one where she looked at the mighty dragons that swim the oceans. So yes read those, they are too interesting to miss.

In this one she struggles being a woman in a man's world. But she loves her studies and that brings her to Akhia, and desert dragons....and trying to get dragons to mate.

All while there are other things going on in the world. A big war is brewing...slowly.

And we finally get to see a few of those hints talked about in earlier books, I can't say more but I have waited for those and I was happy. *mysterious giggle*

Just read it. I meant to explain it, I can not do it justice. I like the way it's told, I like the world she has created. I like those tidbits about an ancient culture, I am dying to know more about it, but they still need to discover more. The book is scientific in a wonderful way, because well it's all made up. It's delightful to read and and Trent is so not proper in a proper world. I just wanna squeeee.

Oh oh, and I love the drawings!

Conclusion:
A fascinating world, and a great "memoir": 

Paperback, 352 pages
Expected publication: April 5th 2016 by Titan Books
Memoir by Lady Trent #4
Fantasy
For review

32 comments:

  1. This sounds great. I love DRAGONS. I need to read more of them. Added book one to TBR list.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You muuuuuuust read ..or listen :D to these

      Delete
  2. This is yet another series I really need to read! Draaaaggggggooooonnnnnssss:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you loved it. I don't have much patience with this kind of fantasy, but I know it's your thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dragons! I've not heard of this series, but now I definitely need to check it out.

    Simply Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good one, fun and so well written

      Delete
  5. I bet the drawings were awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh this series has the best drawings! I have it and still need to get to it. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember seeing this on Melissa's blog, and I am so curious about the science and the drawings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure I've read anything like this but your review had me hooked from the first sentence. I will definitely need to check this out :)

    Quite a Novel Idea

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is sooooo good. I love this series and I think this was my favorite one yet. Suhail!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  10. AH yes this series sounds really different and intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Victorian, fantasy, and dragons. I didn't know about these, but they sound great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Is it Friday yet?!?? UGH.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've heard a lot of good things about this series.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totally need to get to this series. I think I have the first 2 books waiting on the shelves.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP