Thursday 14 April 2016

The Midnight Watch - David Dyer

On a black night in April 1912, fifteen hundred passengers and crew perish as the Titanic slowly sinks beneath the freezing waters of the North Atlantic. Charting the same perilous course through the icebergs is the SS Californian, close enough for her crew to see the eight white distress rockets fired by the Titanic. Yet the Californian fails to act, and later her crew insist that they saw nothing. As news of the disaster spreads throughout America, journalists begin a feeding frenzy, desperate for stories. John Steadman is one such reporter, a man broken by alcoholism, grief and a failed marriage. Steadman senses blood as he fixates on the Californian and his investigation reveals a tense and perplexing relationship between the ship's captain and second officer, who hold the secrets of what occurred that night. Slowly he peels back the layers of deception, and his final, stunning revelation of what happened while the Titanic sank will either redeem the men of the Californian, or destroy them. 

My thoughts:
This is fiction mixed in with reality, the fiction being there was no John Steadman out for the big scoop. But his eagerness of that big story made me feel that the hunt was on.

I had not known that the Californian was close when the Titanic sank and it was such a mess! Wtf happened? What were they thinking? Doing? There also seems to be many answers that we just do not know, still today. It's a mystery, a sad one really.

The book begins with the dead bodies newsman John Steadman, he is the man to write about catastrophes. And when he hears about Titanic he knows he has a winner, but he focuses on The Californian, and wonders what went wrong...yes what did go wrong?

And we all know what happened to the Titanic, I do not have to say anything more there, cos this is not about that. It's about that other ship and what she was doing, and the aftermath.

I liked that I learned more, because yes I had no idea about the whole Californian mess. But I still wonder about it, I guess I always will.

Oh and Ice bergs are scary!

Conclusion:
Interesting take on this story.
'
Hardcover, 336 pages
Published April 7th 2016 by Atlantic Books
Historical fiction
For review

37 comments:

  1. I love a good historical fiction so I'm glad this seemed well-researched and you learned quite a bit. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, had no idea that there was another ship out there. History has always just pointed out the sinking of the Titanic. Hmm, I definitely want to read this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of ship out there, and still no one close

      Delete
  3. Oooo I definitely want to read this! I don't know much about the Californian just because you always hear more about the Titanic, so now I'm curious:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good, but I think I might get a little confused between what is true and what is fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was curious to read this one, but when I read that it wasnt' historically accurate, I skipped it as I have had a bad experience with Titanic books that aren't based on actual fact: The Dressmaker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not read that one so I cannot say

      Delete
  6. I didn't know there was a ship close when Titanic sank. Need to keep this one in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so odd, someone just mentioned the Titanic to me then I come on here and see your review lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it was the day it sunk so, or started to sink

      Delete
  8. I REALLY want to check this one out. I am a sucker for all stories to do with the Titanic, and this one seems like an interesting perspective.

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was different, we were on the Titanic for a little bit, he had written this piece about a family trapped. But yeah, not from Titanic's POV this time

      Delete
  9. I didn't know there was another ship nearby. Interesting.

    Melanie @ Hot Listens & Rabid Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. No never want to meet a berg. I like a book like this though that gets you thinking about a real life event in history.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Almost Friday! *grabby hands*

    ReplyDelete
  12. One thing I can always count on with historical fiction, even when I don't like it, is that I always learn something new.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yeah, tat whole thing is crazy. I can't remember exactly, but the coincidence of some of the passengers on both ships was crazy too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. as I said in the other review I didn't know about it either

    ReplyDelete
  15. I didn't know about another ship which is why I like historical fiction so much. This sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love reading any books that focus on the Titanic disaster and I remember there was a mystery about the Californian being in the area. I'll have to see if my library has this one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting. Interesting. Love that you read a fictional account of a historical event.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You bring me such interesting recommendations - I marked it to pick up.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP